None
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1466 posts
91 upvotes
Guelph

Legal to Drive with an Aircast?

Hey guys,

About 2 1/2 weeks ago I broke my right ankle. It was a clean break but as a precaution Ive had a full cast for 3 weeks before moving to an aircast. Now ive googled the hell out of this an I just can't find an answer... Is it legal to drive a car with an aircast on your RIGHT leg?

I Just want to know as my university is only a ~10 minute drive however the nearest bus stop from my house is probably a 10 minute walk. To be honest I've never ridden public transit lol - so 99% likelihood is I'll never make it to school.

I can borrow my mothers automatic car (I drive stick) so I could just use my left feet (?).

Thanks for your help.
Nom nom nom.
12 replies
Dec 6, 2009
232 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa
Have you talked to your Doctor?

What did he/she say? I'm guessing, No..

If you feel you can drive without affecting your safety and health..then do it.

Check to see how your reactions are in terms of emergency reactions, such as Hard Braking ect.. If you have drastically slower reaction times due too pain or whatever, this could be also be dangerous for other road users.. :-0

Don't hit my car you cast wearing b*stard! :lol:

*sitting at redlight, with x-ray goggles on ;) .. watches..in rear-view mirror..cast wearing b*stard crest over the steep hill and fly down like a bat out of hell!.. see's cringing on CWB's face.. in what will be assumed too be, brake enraged panic!.. I hit the gas too avoid CWB's.. Corolla Rocket Ship!..and get T-Boned by a MILK truck!..THE END* :lol:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1466 posts
91 upvotes
Guelph
Lol I would obviously get driven to a parking lot to "test" my abilities first
Nom nom nom.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1466 posts
91 upvotes
Guelph
And I'm going to talk to my doctor when I get the aircast on (jan 7)
Nom nom nom.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2005
4896 posts
496 upvotes
Mississauga
Let us know what the doctor says. We are all curious.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2006
4150 posts
151 upvotes
North York
Get a ride to/from school from your parents/siblings/friends? Taxi?
Korean girlfriends? Learn to Google? Save money?
What RFD can do for you?

If you drive dangerously I hope you get caught and lose your license/car/dignity! :twisted: :twisted:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1466 posts
91 upvotes
Guelph
JAGpilot wrote:
Dec 28th, 2010 10:15 pm
Get a ride to/from school from your parents/siblings/friends? Taxi?

I live at a shared home (no parents), and I don't trust my friends with my car (and all of them are car-less). I'd troop it to the bus in preference to the taxi (don't like them and I get the bus for free).
Nom nom nom.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
9866 posts
577 upvotes
Calgary
Take the air cast off while driving?
RFD Users who tell it like it is and aren't sheltered by society's wet blanket:
Syne, a-tree, Shaner, Peckerwood, Anonymouse, Cas77, arisk
arisk wrote:
Oct 15th, 2011 7:45 pm
Banning proper use in a forum such as this simply perpetuates the problem by reinforcing the perspective that all uses of a word are negative.
KorruptioN wrote:
Oct 29th, 2010 9:11 pm
She must be better than all of us real men, at any cost. Feel like talking down to people who don't fit in her narrow-minded demographic? She's got it in spades.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
1317 posts
58 upvotes
Saguenay
If someone crashes into you, and sees you have an aircast, who do you think will be at fault?

Worse, if a pedestrian steps out in front of you, do you think insurance will pay the $1 mil liability for someone driving with their left foot?

Drive at your own risk
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1466 posts
91 upvotes
Guelph
In case anyone wants to know the answer to this in the future I'll just tell you what my doctor has told me.

When you have an aircast you will use 2 crutches with it. After a set period of time, determined by your doctor, you will be weaned down to 1 crutch, and then no crutches. At this point you can get someone to drive you to a parking lot, or somewhere not on the public road (just like a place to practice). You take off your aircast to drive (but obviously put it back on when you get to your destination). In this parking lot, after taking the wheel for a bit and if you feel that you are safe to drive, then have a friend throw something in front of your car (just like an obstacle, so obviously not something you'll break - I just used an old bag with some rags in it. If you can break without delay (hopefully braking before the obstacle), then you can go to the roads but only if YOU feel that you are able to safely stop/drive (stopping is key :P).

I weaned myself off of crutches 2 days ago, so yesterday I took at turn at driving and I have NO issues, went for a little ride on public roads after - 100% safe :D .

Just remember - when you are "able" to drive is going to be up to your discretion. Do NOT be premature as quite simply you'll be a danger to others and technically illegal.
Nom nom nom.
Nov 13, 2005
7 posts
1 upvote
Whitby
Good to hear you were able to comfortably drive. Was also curious of the legality. I was in a similar situation as I completely tore my right Achilles tendon a few years ago. About a week and a half after surgery (and going back to the office), I spent the next 6 weeks in a plaster cast/fiberglass cast (4 weeks total with crutches) and walking boot (2 weeks)...and was driving all that time (even went for a test drive while I still had crutches and the fiberglass cast - automatic, of course). Depends on how comfortable one is with left foot braking...which can be worked on with a lot of go-karting. Hopefully your ankle is healing well.
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2009
4999 posts
526 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
I had right ankle casts (plaster of Paris, fiberglas, and Air Walkers), for about a year. I was not allowed to drive, so I had to go through slushy conditions to get to the bus, and each cast got dirty or failed to work. The Air Walker was the least effective, but a fiberglas cast and two screws in the ankle finally worked.
I considered driving (against Dr.'s orders) but it was too difficult with a manual transmission. Those casts are just too bulky.
Apr 5, 2007
549 posts
32 upvotes
Whitby
Doctors, upon treating you, must fill out a form and submit it if you are deemed unsafe to drive due to a medical condition.

(I work at a hospital - see them on charts all the time)

Otherwise, technically it is legal.
But you must be able to maintain full control of a vehicle at all times, and be able to demonstrate that, should a police officer question it.

This by no means constitutes official legal advice :p
× < >