Toronto

Legal electrical side jobs?

Does anyone do this?

If you are journeman,
Upgrade to master.
Take out insurance.
Get WSIB insurance.
446$ yearly fee to ESA.

If you already do a 7-3 for a large contractor in ICI, is it worth it?
5 replies
May 13, 2007
53 posts
16 upvotes
Lake of the Woods
If you are a certified electrician, I don't believe you 'need' to do any those things.
To do electrical work for someone else I don't believe you have to be a 'master' electrician - didn't check on ESA site.
Insurance will cover your and your customer's butt .... but isn't necessary.
WSIB insurance is for your worker's, not necessarily independent operators.
If I'm not mistaken, the $446.00 to ESA you are referring to is to pull your own permits and self inspect your work. If the customer pulls the permit and uses ESA inspectors to approve your work, you don't need to get involved with that aspect of the job at all.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2013
521 posts
567 upvotes
Toronto
This is the info that my co-workers told me.
OCAT is really cracking down on cash jobs.
5000 dollars for first offence, and the courts are not lowering the fines.

There was also that old guy that got electrocuted in his pool in Mississauga.
Unlicensed work, unlicensed worker, some random guy in a pick-up truck.

I am interested, but I am also terrified in losing my livelihood.
So I want to do everything by the book.
May 13, 2007
53 posts
16 upvotes
Lake of the Woods
I'm not familiar with OCAT - is it in relation to the Ontario College of Trades and Apprenticeship Act, 2009 that is being used to monitor the construction industry? They seem to be attempting to require journeymen (or apprentices) trades people to do all work in their given field. No work is allowed to be performed by labourers as this article describes. I don't know what you are describing when you say 'cash jobs'. If you are a certified electrician you can do electrical work for most anyone as long as a permit and inspections are completed through ESA. If the customer pays your invoice with cash there is no law preventing this .... the problem with most 'cash jobs' is declaring (or not) the income to the CRA at tax time. If you are performing the work as an individual, you cannot be covered by WSIB.
You could create problems for yourself if you hired a helper - who you didn't cover under WSIB regulations and/or they were doing electrical work, not as an apprentice, but as a labourer and OCAT became aware of it. This is what OCAT is trying to stop/enforce.
Your current employer isn't likely to give a sh*t what you do outside of their workplace, on your own time.
Feb 23, 2015
291 posts
11 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
We hire licensed electricians occassionally and the current one told me he cannot legally work on his own. He and his partner are the only people in their little company and the partner holds a master electrician whatever. He said to become master you study and take an exam that is mostly a test on administrative/licensing stuff. So he said only one master electrician needed per company and the rest can be regular electricians. The master guy also has to pay a yearly fee.

https://www.esasafe.com/licensing/maste ... licensing/
May 13, 2007
53 posts
16 upvotes
Lake of the Woods
From this page:
"As of January 1, 2007 no person shall operate an Electrical Contracting Business in Ontario without first obtaining an Electrical Contractor Licence issues by ECRA/ESA."
From this page:
"The Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) is responsible for licensing electrical contractors and master electricians in the province of Ontario and for ensuring that only licensed electrical contracting businesses are permitted to offer or provide electrical wiring services directly to the public."
Looks like you would need to register with ESA at a minimum.