Off Topic Archive

Locked: In legal terms, what what does "stayed" mean?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2010 5:43 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6350 posts
190 upvotes

In legal terms, what what does "stayed" mean?

I was just reading our local small town paper's "In The Courts" section and I saw the name of someone I know casually and it says the charge against him was "stayed". I am curious as to what does this mean? I tried doing a google search to find out but can't seem to find anything. Does anyone know what it means? I've heard the term before but truthfully have no idea what it means.
Share:
29 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
learn something new every day
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
3176 posts
452 upvotes
on the links
It means proceedings are suspended, usually waiting for some required action to occur. For ex. a defence lawyer may ask for evidence to be considered inadmissible.

BTW, Yale law professor Fred Rodell said it best about the legal profession:

"It's a high-class racket. By the time I got through law school, I had decided that I never wanted to practice law. I never have.”

'In tribal times, there were the medicine men. In the Middle Ages, there were the priests. Today, there are the lawyers. For every age, a group of bright boys, learned in their trades and jealous of their learning, who blend technical competence with plain and fancy hocus-pocus to make themselves masters of their fellow men. For every age, a pseudo-intellectual autocracy, guarding the tricks of the trade from the uninitiated, and running, after its own pattern, the civilization of its day"
Deal Addict
May 17, 2006
1506 posts
68 upvotes
WikiAnswers wrote:Stayed: If the charge is "stayed" by the judge, this means the present proceedings are suspended. It is not a finding of innocence, simply a stopping of the prosecution at a particular point. The proceedings can be started again in the future if certain events occur (for example, new evidence is found).
Source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_sta ... roceedings
A great salesman sells to himself - Confucius, no, I mean xvizardx LINK
xvizardx wrote:
Dec 20th, 2010 4:22 am
...A sales person named John (who is a great sales person by the way)...I could not resist the price, so I bought it in a heart beat...
xvizardx wrote:
Dec 20th, 2010 4:22 am
Hello everyone! I am an employee of Sony Canada...I will be at the Sony Store in Square One...look for John...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6350 posts
190 upvotes
Thanks for the answers!! So I guess it means he is "off" for the time being but if the crown decides to pursue things, then he could be recharged. Wow, that can't be pleasant, never knowing if they're coming after you again. No finalization.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2005
4546 posts
460 upvotes
deltone wrote:
Apr 8th, 2010 11:10 pm
Thanks for the answers!! So I guess it means he is "off" for the time being but if the crown decides to pursue things, then he could be recharged. Wow, that can't be pleasant, never knowing if they're coming after you again. No finalization.
Exactly, but very seldom is one charged again.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1258 posts
26 upvotes
A stay is a "halt" to judicial proceedings without a judicial decision being made on the actual facts of the case (but see below) with respect to being guilty or not guilty.

There are two types of stays in Canadian law.

A judicial stay is used as a remedy against a Charter breach. S. 24(2) of the Charter allows this in cases where it would be the most appropriate remedy for an Accused person whose rights have been violated. The Crown has no authority to resume prosecution once a judicial stay is entered. The only way to do so is through the appellate courts.

A Crown stay is when the Crown directs the clerk of the court to stop proceedings. Hypothetically the Crown could resume prosecution within a certain period of time, but this is extremely rare. When a charge is stayed, any recognizances (bail) connected to the charge is lifted. The Crown also has the authority to withdraw a charge or invite the Judge to dismiss a case. There can be some controversy when a Crown decides to stay as opposed to withdraw in cases that should warrant a withdrawal or dismissal.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
152 upvotes
Sauerkraut wrote:
Apr 8th, 2010 10:56 pm
It means proceedings are suspended, usually waiting for some required action to occur. For ex. a defence lawyer may ask for evidence to be considered inadmissible.

BTW, Yale law professor Fred Rodell said it best about the legal profession:

"It's a high-class racket. By the time I got through law school, I had decided that I never wanted to practice law. I never have.”

'In tribal times, there were the medicine men. In the Middle Ages, there were the priests. Today, there are the lawyers. For every age, a group of bright boys, learned in their trades and jealous of their learning, who blend technical competence with plain and fancy hocus-pocus to make themselves masters of their fellow men. For every age, a pseudo-intellectual autocracy, guarding the tricks of the trade from the uninitiated, and running, after its own pattern, the civilization of its day"
Nothing reminds you that you are asking a question online like this healthy mix of cursory google research and off topic rambling.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
3176 posts
452 upvotes
on the links
BornRuff wrote:
Apr 9th, 2010 6:11 am
Nothing reminds you that you are asking a question online like this healthy mix of cursory google research and off topic rambling.
Ah yes, the Balm beach fence building expert weighs in with some folksy insight.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
9726 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
It meant the person broke into a house to rob, and instead of leaving, decided to "stay" and relax. The cops were called and couldn't charge him with robbery since he didn't anything. so, instead they charged him with staying. If he had just left, he would have been fine. :D
Ask me a question about ANYTHING here: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=692100
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6350 posts
190 upvotes
BornRuff wrote:
Apr 9th, 2010 6:11 am
So what are you suggesting? Lots of people ask lots of different types of questions online. I would hazard a guess that you've asked some yourself, seeing that you have close to 4,000 posts on this forum.

I myself was merely asking a question to satisfy my curiosity about something that at the end of the day has nothing to do with me directly. If it did have something to do with me personally, I would have asked the lawyer or the professional and would not have come onto a forum, or a google search.

I suppose that "SOME" people who seem to get so amused, or aggravated, or irritated by questions that THEY deem dumb or stupid should really just supply the rest of us peons a list of what THEY consider viable or acceptable questions or topics.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6350 posts
190 upvotes
Dash wrote:
Apr 9th, 2010 11:48 am
It meant the person broke into a house to rob, and instead of leaving, decided to "stay" and relax. The cops were called and couldn't charge him with robbery since he didn't anything. so, instead they charged him with staying. If he had just left, he would have been fine. :D
LOL, cute.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
152 upvotes
Sauerkraut wrote:
Apr 9th, 2010 6:45 am
Ah yes, the Balm beach fence building expert weighs in with some folksy insight.
Wow, that is from a pretty old thread. Why on earth do you still remember my posts from that?

I don't really see how that is even applicable to my comments though. My family has had a cottage a few concessions down from Balm Beach for years. I've been to Balm Beach countless times over the years, and was there around the time of a lot of the incidents, so nothing in those posts was just me googling stuff.

Your comments about lawyers have nothing to do with this thread.
deltone wrote:
Apr 9th, 2010 12:15 pm
So what are you suggesting? Lots of people ask lots of different types of questions online. I would hazard a guess that you've asked some yourself, seeing that you have close to 4,000 posts on this forum.

I myself was merely asking a question to satisfy my curiosity about something that at the end of the day has nothing to do with me directly. If it did have something to do with me personally, I would have asked the lawyer or the professional and would not have come onto a forum, or a google search.

I suppose that "SOME" people who seem to get so amused, or aggravated, or irritated by questions that THEY deem dumb or stupid should really just supply the rest of us peons a list of what THEY consider viable or acceptable questions or topics.
I was just commenting about Sauerkraut's fairly idiotic reply. I didn't say anything about you.

Now that you mention it though, I rarely do ask questions on this forum, since I have always tended to get really idiotic or hostile replies, but that is why I made the comment about how Sauerkraut's reply was typical.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
9726 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
BornRuff wrote:
Apr 9th, 2010 1:40 pm
Wow, that is from a pretty old thread. Why on earth do you still remember my posts from that?

I don't really see how that is even applicable to my comments though. My family has had a cottage a few concessions down from Balm Beach for years. I've been to Balm Beach countless times over the years, and was there around the time of a lot of the incidents, so nothing in those posts was just me googling stuff.

Your comments about lawyers have nothing to do with this thread.

I was just commenting about Sauerkraut's fairly idiotic reply. I didn't say anything about you.

Now that you mention it though, I rarely do ask questions on this forum, since I have always tended to get really idiotic or hostile replies, but that is why I made the comment about how Sauerkraut's reply was typical.
wth are you talking about? I've never seen anything but helpful replies in OT. your comment is just stupid. :razz:
Ask me a question about ANYTHING here: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=692100
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
152 upvotes
Dash wrote:
Apr 9th, 2010 1:46 pm
wth are you talking about? I've never seen anything but helpful replies in OT. your comment is just stupid. :razz:
lol, one of my favorites that I remember from a few years back was when I asked about cheap ways to get to the airport that did not involve TTC or a car and I got responses suggesting that I had no friends and nobody loved me.
× < >