[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5270 posts
1715 upvotes
Toronto
cycro27 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 12:40 pm
I believe I saw him and just noped the hell out of there. I've only got 5 hearts, I need to explore more shrines before continuing the main story. Where is everyone finding money? My main source is just selling the precious stones I find...
I beat that boss and 2 others last night with 5 hearts and the Hylian armor set you can buy from Kakariko. Honestly the hearts don't even matter because these bosses seem to kill you in 1 hit anyways.
startoss wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 12:42 pm
loot/hunt/fish every eatable things and cook. sell the meal.
yup this is a great way to make money as well. Sometimes I end up cooking something that refills way more hearts than I even have and those dishes often sell for 50-100 rupees
Nov 25, 2009
434 posts
50 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 12:52 pm
I beat that boss and 2 others last night with 5 hearts and the Hylian armor set you can buy from Kakariko. Honestly the hearts don't even matter because these bosses seem to kill you in 1 hit anyways.

yup this is a great way to make money as well. Sometimes I end up cooking something that refills way more hearts than I even have and those dishes often sell for 50-100 rupees
Woah, now I'm fired up I'm gonna try it tonight. I haven't bought the Hylian set due to lack of money, but I'll farm a bit and get some arrows too. I absolutely love the reward you get for exploring in this game, I see myself spending hours and hours just climbing random cliffs and parasailing about.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5270 posts
1715 upvotes
Toronto
cycro27 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 12:59 pm
Woah, now I'm fired up I'm gonna try it tonight. I haven't bought the Hylian set due to lack of money, but I'll farm a bit and get some arrows too. I absolutely love the reward you get for exploring in this game, I see myself spending hours and hours just climbing random cliffs and parasailing about.
If you sell all the stones you've been collecting, food and excess monster parts (keep some, but if you have 30 of a part you can probably sell some) you'll have enough moeny in no time. Iirc the entire Hylian set was only a few hundred rupees. Also explore Kakariko well and you'll find a way to enhance your armor.

Again this doesn't really matter for those boss fights though because they seem to destroy you in 1 hit regardless.
Nov 25, 2009
434 posts
50 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 1:03 pm
If you sell all the stones you've been collecting, food and excess monster parts (keep some, but if you have 30 of a part you can probably sell some) you'll have enough moeny in no time. Iirc the entire Hylian set was only a few hundred rupees. Also explore Kakariko well and you'll find a way to enhance your armor.

Again this doesn't really matter for those boss fights though because they seem to destroy you in 1 hit regardless.
Oh sweeeeetttttt thanks!
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3301 posts
375 upvotes
Markham
Ordered this in late February because I wasn't sure I was going to keep my Switch pre-order. After many glowing reviews, I decided to pre-order it from Amazon Prime. Surprisingly I did receive it on launch day. I know a few people who ordered in January but did not received it until this week. I feel like the difference is that Prime members are prioritized.

This game does not disappoint if you are into open world RPG. I mostly play it in portable mode and having a great time. It surprises me at every turn and I still find new things. I feel like it's many games within a game. I could spend an hour just snowboarding or paragliding in the game, or go on a hunting trip and see what kind of potion I can cook up -- totally ignoring the main and sub-quests.

Most hilarious combat weapon are just the metal boxes. You can use it to block arrows and then smash their heads with the box, especially when they are on a platform and you crawl under them. Love the physics in this game.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2049 posts
567 upvotes
Edmonton
After coming off the weekend of playing Horizon on my PS4 Pro, I finally got this in the mail and booted it up on my Wii U. Holy ... it was like I stepped into a time machine and went a decade back. Yikes! Slowdown, pixels galore, sparse landscape ...

But a few hours in and I'd completely forgotten about the major visual downgrade. What a fun game!!!! I'm not a big fan of open-world games (but I'm a sucker for hype and looooovvvvvveeee Zelda games) so I'm playing pretty tightly to the main quest-line. Even with that there's nice little surprises around every corner.

Its a way better start too, than the slow start in Horizon.

First world problems ... now I have to decide which game I'm going to finish first.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5970 posts
1272 upvotes
My amazon amiibo pre-orders have not arrived yet but I have all the other Zelda-based ones released before the Zelda Breath of the Wild series amiibos.

Having the Zelda amiibos unlock additional items including things you cannot get from the game normally:

The rest of the Zelda-related amiibo figures outside of the Breath of the Wild collection will also unlock items.
Amiibos can be used once per day.

source: http://press-start.com.au/guides/2017/0 ... eath-wild/
Archer Link: You get a chest with a bow and ice arrows along with some fish and various cuts of meat.
Rider Link: You get a chest with mushrooms, the Soldier's Broadsword, and special equipment for Link's horse.
Zelda: You get a chest with a special shield and various herbs.
Bokoblin: You get a chest with Bokoblin weapons and cuts of meat.
Guardian: You get a chest with Ancient materials.

Super Smash Bros. Link: This amiibo is instrumental in unlocking Epona, the horse of legend.
Super Smash Bros. Zelda: get items that you can use for cooking and crafting plus a chest with a rare weapon. The best thing you can get is a Twilight Bow from Zelda
Super Smash Bros. Gannondorf: Ganondorf drops some material that you can use for cooking and crafting. You can also get some rare weapons including an Amiibo-exclusive Sword of the Six sages.
Super Smash Bros. Sheik: get items that you can use for cooking and crafting plus a chest with a rare weapon. The best thing you can get is Sheik’s Mask Armour.
Wolf Link (Twilight Princess): get Wolf Link as a companion. He will find hidden items. He cannot be saved at a stable. You have to keep scanning Wolf Link if you want to bring him back.
8-bit Link: get random food and Rupees.
Ocarina of Time Link: get various meat to cook along with a chest with random items.
Wind Waker Toon Link: get the Soldier's Broadsword and fish. plus the potential to get Wind Waker armor, as well as a boomerang.
Wind Waker Toon Zelda: get various herbs and an additional chest.
May 9, 2007
804 posts
219 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 11:04 am
I'm not sure how equipped you are kibut I didn't find him all that hard. All you need is your bow and a half decent 10-15 damage weapon to take him down pretty easily. The other 2 I fought last night were much tougher. And yes, I've been missing or ignoring the "right" path to most objectives but found so many shrines and other goodies along the ways I did take.
For some reason I kept trying to climb on top of the first boss as if he was an enemy straight out of shadow of the colossus lol.

Random moment. I got jumped by an enemy while riding my horse. As I jumped off the battle ensued a little to close to my horse and she proceeded to kick the enemy in the face. That was too awesome and it's these kinds of attention to detail that makes this game awesome!

So be honest. How many of you named your horse Epona?

BTW I've been playing the game with pro hud mode on which hides the hud almost completely except for the heart containers. You'll find almost instantly that you don't need the hud because of how well the game is designed and makes playing the game more immersive and organic. I recommend everyone giving it a go.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5930 posts
775 upvotes
Grimsby
Yeah agreed, I turn off the HUD in most games and this game is excellent without it. You are lead around very organically by things in the distance and don't really need objective markers and pins. It also forces you to memorize landmarks and the environment instead of just staring at the minimap. Highly recommended to turn off the HUD and just force yourself to get comfortable for the first 15-20 minutes.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5970 posts
1272 upvotes
Digital Foundry's 2nd framerate stress test on The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild:

The Wii U version has more severe framerate drops and a slower recovery time to get back up to 30 fps than the Switch version.
On the Wii U, running through Kakariko village drops to as low as 19 frames per second in this section while the Switch version sticks to 30 fps.

900p native resolution on the Switch docked mode. 720p resolution on portable mode.
720p native resolution on the Wii U.

In general, the Switch version has framerate drops below 30 fps but to a lesser extent and the Switch version recovers faster than the Wii U version.
The Wii U version will temporarily lock to 20 fps when the engine is stressed too much.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5270 posts
1715 upvotes
Toronto
I can't believe the amount of content and time I've spent in the small east section of of the map I've uncovered and partially explored so far. Not even 1/4 of the map is uncovered and I'm already holding it up there with TW3 as best game I've played in years. Can't believe how good this game is
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2037 posts
190 upvotes
I've basically done nothing but play this since Saturday afternoon and I still have one unexplored section of the map. It's absolutely absurd how huge the world is.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5930 posts
775 upvotes
Grimsby
I'm really impressed with how organic the whole experience is. Sure there are a few cookie cutter aspects but it's just really cool wandering from one thing to another. There's always something interesting to find, they took the time to hand place everything with obvious care and attention. The game world could've easily felt empty and lifeless in other hands but they married the physics system and content perfectly. The physics system itself is surprisingly deep and robust, it reminds me a lot of Far Cry 2.

I'm really enjoying it and can definitely say the game earned its high marks. If I play nothing else on the Switch it will have been worth it for this single game, it's once in a generation type of experience.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4791 posts
617 upvotes
calgary
Let me add to the choir of praise. This game is fantastic.

I like the comparisons to the the Witcher's open world -the game seems to have a ton of random and interesting encounters- except this game's combat is light years more enjoyable then that game and Im also enjoying the world a lot more.

This game is the first game in a long time that actually gives me a sense of adventure and doesnt feel like just a game. I love how they literally show nothing on your minimap, you dont have to get bogged down by some random pointless collectables or generic side quests because they are on your minimap. This game encourages you to climb towers and find these things for yourself, its incredibly refreshing. Its just a big beautiful interesting world, go explore.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2049 posts
567 upvotes
Edmonton
Couple of points:
-I love exploring this world!!! I love being able to see something off in the distance and go explore it.
-Cooking is getting old real fast ... they should set it up so that when you walk up to a cooking pot you just hit "A" and go into a dedicated menu
-Item/inventory management sucks ... why won't you let me use my Wii U tablet for that ???!!!!
-Sorry, but I hope the Switch fails real hard and Nintendo gets out of the hardware business. Man, do I ever want to play this game on my PS4 Pro.