• May 3rd, 2017 5:34 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5692 posts
652 upvotes
Grimsby
Yeah I admit I am getting a bit tired of weapon management, I get what they were shooting for here but I think they could tweak the durability up a tad.

I wish cooking was faster. I like that they went with no looting animations too, so many open world games do that and its tedious as hell.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4851 posts
1331 upvotes
Toronto
It is missing that sense of attachment you get from having and customizing bad ass rare weapons in a game like TW3. A couple nights ago I found some bad ass swords with fire and lightning abilities and I was looking forward to using those for a while. I lost those and almost all my other weapons in a single Shrine Gaurdian fight. I went into that Shrine with like 8 weapons and finished the battle with 1 left. At least that guardian dropped some more badass weapons for me to pick up but it still sucked losing almost my whole inventory on that 1 fight.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1214 posts
331 upvotes
Andrew765 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 3:31 pm
Couple of points:
-I love exploring this world!!! I love being able to see something off in the distance and go explore it.
-Cooking is getting old real fast ... they should set it up so that when you walk up to a cooking pot you just hit "A" and go into a dedicated menu
-Item/inventory management sucks ... why won't you let me use my Wii U tablet for that ???!!!!
-Sorry, but I hope the Switch fails real hard and Nintendo gets out of the hardware business. Man, do I ever want to play this game on my PS4 Pro.
I don't. Can't bring my PS4 on the train with me to and from work...the portability of the Switch will keep it around for quite sometime.
Last edited by OldMarriedGuy on Mar 9th, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2000 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
I'm assuming the master sword won't have durability issues - though it would be absurdly hilarious if it did. I do think, however, they could stand to double down on the looting aspect, maybe with craftable weapons/armour and a rare/epic/legendary rating, as well as repairing favourites. The art style just screams for it.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4851 posts
1331 upvotes
Toronto
BYan wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 8:05 pm
I'm assuming the master sword won't have durability issues - though it would be absurdly hilarious if it did. I do think, however, they could stand to double down on the looting aspect, maybe with craftable weapons/armour and a rare/epic/legendary rating, as well as repairing favourites. The art style just screams for it.
A repair mechanic would've been great. That aside, at least when you lose stuff you seem to get it replaced by something better almost immediately. For example I destroyed 7-8 weapons trying to take down 1 Gaurdian but once he was down I walked away with 3 crazy powerful weapons that blew away anything I was carrying going into that battle
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5692 posts
652 upvotes
Grimsby
BYan wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 8:05 pm
I'm assuming the master sword won't have durability issues - though it would be absurdly hilarious if it did.
You only lose it for a period of time when its "energy" goes down to 0 unlike other weapons that just break for good. So basically it goes on a cooldown, you'll still need to use other stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5603 posts
1175 upvotes
Since I am playing through a few different games right now I get most of my resources from Amiibo item drops instead of looking for them in-game.
Obtaining classic Legend of Zelda Link outfits and clothing, wolf Link (from Twilight Princess as a companion), and Epona are exclusively locked behind having and using certain Zelda-series amiibos.

Each Zelda-related Amiibo can be scanned once every 24 hours.
However, you can change the clock in the system settings forward to the next day or reload a save file to re-roll an item if you do not get what you are looking for.
I dropped down around 10 chests and only received one random piece of clothing. The rest of the chests were weapon drops, or gems and it also rains down random food or herbs.
Non-Zelda amiibo just drop random food, and resources.

There is no trophy or achievement system on the Nintendo Switch so I don't mind using this as a shortcut to play through the game.

Jan 29, 2013
579 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 3:44 pm
I wish cooking was faster. I like that they went with no looting animations too, so many open world games do that and its tedious as hell.
+100. I'm finding cooking to be very tedious. I don't mind messing around with the cooking mechanic trying out new recipes. However, when I'm trying to cook 25 meals of fruit/mushrooms, going into the inventory, selecting items individually to hold, etc, is really tedious. I wish there was a way to create multiple meals of a specific recipe in batch.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4851 posts
1331 upvotes
Toronto
qualdoth wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 10:21 am
+100. I'm finding cooking to be very tedious. I don't mind messing around with the cooking mechanic trying out new recipes. However, when I'm trying to cook 25 meals of fruit/mushrooms, going into the inventory, selecting items individually to hold, etc, is really tedious. I wish there was a way to create multiple meals of a specific recipe in batch.
ya it could be faster but on the other hand it's not something you need to do all that often. I think I spend maybe 5-10 minutes cooking a few different things to cover cold resistance, stamina, attack up ect that will last me for the next 2-3 hours of exploring if not longer. Are you really far in the game? I'm like 30 hours in with 6-7 hearts and find 4-5 dishes is enough to coast on for a long time. The only time I'm really using cooked dishes is for cold resistance or attack up in the occasional tough battle.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5692 posts
652 upvotes
Grimsby
I don't know, I agree with Qualdoth that its just really tedious. There should be a menu option to skip the animation cycle or something. I often make a ton of food to sell and its so damned slow.

Still loving the game in general though. It's just super cool to see how far you can go with breaking the intended routes. I went to Central Tower WAY too soon and managed to climb the whole thing despite getting harassed by a half dozen guardians and other assorted monsters. I think it took me 4 hours just to get to Karikiko the first time haha.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4851 posts
1331 upvotes
Toronto
Hmm maybe you guys are much further than me and I haven't hit that point where I have to do it enough to find it annoying. Qualdoth said he's doing 25 at a time which is crazy and ya I can imagine that gets tedious but so far I've never needed to cook and carry more than 4-5 things at a time and only use them when I need the buffs
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4631 posts
574 upvotes
Im about 20 hours in or so and Ive defeated one of the divine beasts and Ive just learnt how to cook. Ive been eating all my plants/meat raw.

Its kind of fun to experiment with different types of plants and stuff to see what you can make but it definitely doesn't feel necessary to me, unless there is a point that this changes. My playthrough has been kind of unorthodox I think, after kokorikko village I got distracted by some shrines which led to a random Zora recruiting me to the Zora city which led to me defeating that divine beast. I literally just unlocked the Camera ruin last night as I made my way to the professor (via some snowy mountain) after getting "sidetracked".

Edit: Dam, I just realized Mass Effect Andromeda comes out this week, I cant imagine even touching anything else right now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4851 posts
1331 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 12:59 pm
Im about 20 hours in or so and Ive defeated one of the divine beasts and Ive just learnt how to cook. Ive been eating all my plants/meat raw.

Its kind of fun to experiment with different types of plants and stuff to see what you can make but it definitely doesn't feel necessary to me, unless there is a point that this changes. My playthrough has been kind of unorthodox I think, after kokorikko village I got distracted by some shrines which led to a random Zora recruiting me to the Zora city which led to me defeating that divine beast. I literally just unlocked the Camera ruin last night as I made my way to the professor (via some snowy mountain) after getting "sidetracked".

Edit: Dam, I just realized Mass Effect Andromeda comes out this week, I cant imagine even touching anything else right now.
That Zora Devine beast is probably the "right" one you're intended to do first. I'm about 30 hours in and I'm on that main quest too now after I started exploring more of that east section of the map. I also spent a bunch of time chasing down shrines and memories before I ended up there. The game kinda steers you east towards kakariko early on so it makes sense that you find the Zora and that quest as you start to explore North from there
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5692 posts
652 upvotes
Grimsby
Yeah they really nudge you towards Zora. Trying any of the other ones will be pretty difficult unless you've been going nuts exploring.
I am just skipping it until this is done, probably be cheaper then anyway. I don't see anything on the horizon for the Switch I want so I'll have plenty of time for other games after I'm finished with Zelda.

Nintendo's biggest problem now is how the hell do you follow up a game like this?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4851 posts
1331 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 1:31 pm
Nintendo's biggest problem now is how the hell do you follow up a game like this?
lol it took over 5 years to get this after Skyward Sword so we're probably not getting another big Zelda game until the end of Switch's life cycle. Maybe another top down follow up to ALBW? Either way I doubt anything on this scale is happening for another 4-5 years at least.
I'm sure the next Mario game will be great as usual but hard to imagine a platformer filling the void this game is going to leave when it's over. Would love to see Metroid make a big return with a game as big and ambitious as BOTW but I feel like that franchise has been reduced to a niche and I can't see them putting that kind of effort in.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel