• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2017 5:34 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
5846 posts
1590 upvotes
We'll get a couple of spin offs like the 3DS games before we see another game like this.

The contrast is way too high ... I haven't seen the U version but everyone saying it is darker probably makes it look better. I assume it was done to make it look better on the screen (I've only played in TV mode), but it's almost too bright.
Jan 29, 2013
580 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 10:42 am
ya it could be faster but on the other hand it's not something you need to do all that often. I think I spend maybe 5-10 minutes cooking a few different things to cover cold resistance, stamina, attack up ect that will last me for the next 2-3 hours of exploring if not longer. Are you really far in the game? I'm like 30 hours in with 6-7 hearts and find 4-5 dishes is enough to coast on for a long time. The only time I'm really using cooked dishes is for cold resistance or attack up in the occasional tough battle.
I don't think I'm any farther in than you. I've just finished the first beast storyline (along with numerous sidequests and the exploration that we're all doing). I'm at 6 hearts right now. I don't have any issues with the resistance food, since you're right, that is pretty easy to cover off and have it last you a substantial amount of time. I'm probably not as precise as you in my dodges, etc, so I find I'm having to munch healing foods (replenishing 2-4 hearts). For example, I probably went through about 10+ meals finishing the first beast storyline and then farming for luminous stones/other mats in Zora Upland for a couple of hours.
Jan 29, 2013
580 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 12:35 pm
Hmm maybe you guys are much further than me and I haven't hit that point where I have to do it enough to find it annoying. Qualdoth said he's doing 25 at a time which is crazy and ya I can imagine that gets tedious but so far I've never needed to cook and carry more than 4-5 things at a time and only use them when I need the buffs
Yeah, I'm generally cooking big batches to top off the foods that I carry as well as to sell a bunch as well. I can't bring myself to sell gemstones so I cook all my excess apples/mushrooms/etc to sell. So imagine what it's like after you've been exploring for a couple of hours and you have 100+ apples and a bunch of mushrooms Astonished Face
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4859 posts
1332 upvotes
Toronto
qualdoth wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 3:02 pm
Yeah, I'm generally cooking big batches to top off the foods that I carry as well as to sell a bunch as well. I can't bring myself to sell gemstones so I cook all my excess apples/mushrooms/etc to sell. So imagine what it's like after you've been exploring for a couple of hours and you have 100+ apples and a bunch of mushrooms Astonished Face
Wait why aren't you selling gemstones? That's been the source of most of my rupees so far. There are a couple types I didn't sell because they specifically say they're for crafting or have other purpose (luminous stones), but why are you hanging on to all of them?
Jan 29, 2013
580 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 3:09 pm
Wait why aren't you selling gemstones? That's been the source of most of my rupees so far. There are a couple types I didn't sell because they specifically say they're for crafting or have other purpose (luminous stones), but why are you hanging on to all of them?
I was reading somewhere that many of them are used for upgrades later on? At least it seemed like the more numerous ones (amber, opal, etc) seem to be involved in upgrades later on. So the only stuff I'm selling right now consists of cooked food, extra other parts (I carry a max of 30 of any specific item). I also haven't wanted to really dig into exactly which ones are required to keep and which ones aren't as I'm trying to manage spoilers to some degree.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5609 posts
1175 upvotes
The strategy guide I pre-ordered from Amazon finally arrived.

If you need more inventory space, there is a sidequest to get a house to store some weapons.
There are also other sidequests to increase the inventory space that Link can carry permanently.

Last edited by XFactor11 on Mar 13th, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
1959 posts
179 upvotes
The house doesn't realistically offer you inventory space. You can store 3 each of weapons, shields, and bows. There are no storage containers and the house is part of the normal world so anything dropped inside it will despawn exactly as it does anywhere else.

And yeah, for those wondering you do need gemstones for crafting and accessories/circlets later. You should keep a decent number of them around if you plan to collect and upgrade a lot of gear.

I did the Rito divine beast first, then Gerudo, then Zora, and finally Goron. Didn't have any specific problems in terms of difficulty.

I beat the game including all the shrines. Was an absolute blast. Finding the last ~10 or so Shrines dragged on a bit though, some of those things are really tucked away.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4859 posts
1332 upvotes
Toronto
qualdoth wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 3:23 pm
I was reading somewhere that many of them are used for upgrades later on? At least it seemed like the more numerous ones (amber, opal, etc) seem to be involved in upgrades later on. So the only stuff I'm selling right now consists of cooked food, extra other parts (I carry a max of 30 of any specific item). I also haven't wanted to really dig into exactly which ones are required to keep and which ones aren't as I'm trying to manage spoilers to some degree.
Ah crap I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot selling off my gems but up to where I've played there's been no indication that Gems are useful for anything other than selling, other than the ones like the luminous stone that specifically says it has another purpose
Ascott wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 4:32 pm
And yeah, for those wondering you do need gemstones for crafting and accessories/circlets later. You should keep a decent number of them around if you plan to collect and upgrade a lot of gear.
FML
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
1959 posts
179 upvotes
It's fine. You find ore deposits and Talus all over the place. Once silver enemies start spawning you can get gems from them too. The only gems you really need to worry about are Luminous Stones and Diamonds, and even then their uses are purely optional.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4859 posts
1332 upvotes
Toronto
I finally did the Zora Devine Beast last night ~30 hours in and holy crap that was by far the highlight of the game so far. It's amazing that after this much play time, the game continues to surprise and impress. Everything from collecting the arrows to getting in the dungeon, to the puzzles inside and the boss fight was phenomenal. Can't believe I'm only like 1/4 through the game and can't wait to play through the rest of this masterpiece.

You guys who did the Zora devine beast already, did you fight the Lynel in the area where you had to get the arrows? I encountered one of those near Lanayru a little while before taking on this quest, got annihilated and figured you're not suppose to fight those for a while and left. When I came across that one near the arrows, I'm like screw it lets see if I can take it down and finally the dodge mechanic clicked for me and I realized it's not that hard to take those things down at all
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
1979 posts
521 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 11:33 am
I finally did the Zora Devine Beast last night ~30 hours in and holy crap that was by far the highlight of the game so far. It's amazing that after this much play time, the game continues to surprise and impress. Everything from collecting the arrows to getting in the dungeon, to the puzzles inside and the boss fight was phenomenal. Can't believe I'm only like 1/4 through the game and can't wait to play through the rest of this masterpiece.

You guys who did the Zora devine beast already, did you fight the Lynel in the area where you had to get the arrows? I encountered one of those near Lanayru a little while before taking on this quest, got annihilated and figured you're not suppose to fight those for a while and left. When I came across that one near the arrows, I'm like screw it lets see if I can take it down and finally the dodge mechanic clicked for me and I realized it's not that hard to take those things down at all
Yikes, I went there after only 5 hours! Too soon? I still only have 3 hearts. I'm just at the boss for it now. Died a couple of times and put it down for the night. The game feels very dark-souls-y.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4859 posts
1332 upvotes
Toronto
Andrew765 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 11:52 am
Yikes, I went there after only 5 hours! Too soon? I still only have 3 hearts. I'm just at the boss for it now. Died a couple of times and put it down for the night. The game feels very dark-souls-y.
Wait you're doing the dungeon boss with 3 hearts or you're collecting the arrows and fighting the Lynel with 3 hearts? Either way I think trying to do that with 3 hearts would be insane. Possible but insane. The Lynel would practically 1 hit kill me with 6-7 hearts. I had to use a dish that gives you extra yellow hearts to beat both the Lynel and the dungeon boss.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
1979 posts
521 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 12:10 pm
Wait you're doing the dungeon boss with 3 hearts or you're collecting the arrows and fighting the Lynel with 3 hearts? Either way I think trying to do that with 3 hearts would be insane. Possible but insane. The Lynel would practically 1 hit kill me with 6-7 hearts. I had to use a dish that gives you extra yellow hearts to beat both the Lynel and the dungeon boss.
Yah, I beat the Lynel guy with 3 hearts to collect the arrows. Each hit from him took me down to half a heart. I used a large majority of all the food I'd collected/made up to that point to get passed him.

I'm currently at the dungeon boss W********** G****. I'm thinking now might be a good time to go do some shrines for some hearts. But if I put in another 15-20 deaths I can probably learn enough to take him down.

(I just played Dark Souls III prior to this, so I'm kinda in that gameplay mindset)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4859 posts
1332 upvotes
Toronto
Andrew765 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 12:29 pm
Yah, I beat the Lynel guy with 3 hearts to collect the arrows. Each hit from him took me down to half a heart. I used a large majority of all the food I'd collected/made up to that point to get passed him.

I'm currently at the dungeon boss W********** G****. I'm thinking now might be a good time to go do some shrines for some hearts.

(I just played Dark Souls III prior to this, so I'm kinda in that gameplay mindset)
Wow seems that damage scales then which makes sense considering the game lets you go anywhere and do anything in whatever order you want apparently. The Lynel would do waaay more damage to me. 1 light hit from that thing would cut off 4-5 hearts and a big attack would insta kill me. If you managed that in 3 hearts then I think you could beat the dungeon boss too. I got hit quite a bit during the first stage of that battle but I'm assuming it's possible to do it without getting hit if you get the dodge timing right which I couldn't for some reason, and the second stage was easy to the point that I didn't get hit at all during that part.

It's interesting that you got there so early on and the game adapts. I spent a lot of hours exploring and doing shrines around the dueling peaks and the areas south and west of Hetano village.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4634 posts
574 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 12:10 pm
I did that whole questline/boss with only 3 hearts, it was literally one of the first things I did once I left Kokriko village.

I skIpped the Lynel, he was one shotting me practically everytime and I didnt want to waste all my food/arrows/weapons plus there was loads of shock arrows in the area.
I had no issue with the dungeon boss though, I wonder if they scale the difficulty of the dungeon bosses.
Last edited by SpicYMchaggis on Mar 15th, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel