• May 3rd, 2017 5:34 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5692 posts
652 upvotes
Grimsby
I've found 3 different Lynel so far, often totally by accident. I'm so used to Dark Souls "dont get hit" mantra that I've only got like 6-7 hearts despite being 30+ hours in. The combat is really unforgiving of mistakes but very fair.

The game world is super fun and beautiful. Just when I start to think its becoming barren I find new things to break up the routine. Exploration feels great and totally drives the game. I am just in love with this game. After this I'm not sure I can go back to stuff like Mass Effect Andromeda or the soulless Ubisoft open world games.

I also worry that my Switch will end up like my Wii U, unused for months at a time. For all I know this might be the only Zelda game this generation but hey what a game.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
1979 posts
519 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 12:42 pm
I did that whole questline/boss with only 3 hearts, it was literally one of the first things I did once I left Kokriko village.

I skIpped the Lynel, he was one shotting me practically everytime and I didnt want to waste all my food/arrows/weapons plus there was loads of shock arrows in the area.
I had no issue with the dungeon boss though, I wonder if they scale the difficulty of the dungeon bosses.
Whoa! You can just run around him to get the arrows ... crazy how this game lets you play how you want to play. IIRC ... (***SPOILER***) he doesn't actually drop any arrows, you just pick up the ones around the area after the battle anyway.

[We really need those spoiler tags]
Last edited by Andrew765 on Mar 15th, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 29, 2013
579 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 11:33 am
I finally did the Zora Devine Beast last night ~30 hours in and holy crap that was by far the highlight of the game so far. It's amazing that after this much play time, the game continues to surprise and impress. Everything from collecting the arrows to getting in the dungeon, to the puzzles inside and the boss fight was phenomenal. Can't believe I'm only like 1/4 through the game and can't wait to play through the rest of this masterpiece.

You guys who did the Zora devine beast already, did you fight the Lynel in the area where you had to get the arrows? I encountered one of those near Lanayru a little while before taking on this quest, got annihilated and figured you're not suppose to fight those for a while and left. When I came across that one near the arrows, I'm like screw it lets see if I can take it down and finally the dodge mechanic clicked for me and I realized it's not that hard to take those things down at all
I attempted to fight the Lynel when I was doing that quest line. After 30 minutes of being raped repeatedly, I gave up and just collected the arrows. I never got him below 75% health. I would say I was successful dodging his attacks about 40% of the time. I had about 5-6 hearts at the time, and would generally have less than 1 heart left after being hit once. Given my crappy dodge rate, the fight was not sustainable.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4631 posts
574 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 12:43 pm
I've found 3 different Lynel so far, often totally by accident. I'm so used to Dark Souls "dont get hit" mantra that I've only got like 6-7 hearts despite being 30+ hours in. The combat is really unforgiving of mistakes but very fair.

The game world is super fun and beautiful. Just when I start to think its becoming barren I find new things to break up the routine. Exploration feels great and totally drives the game. I am just in love with this game. After this I'm not sure I can go back to stuff like Mass Effect Andromeda or the soulless Ubisoft open world games.

I also worry that my Switch will end up like my Wii U, unused for months at a time. For all I know this might be the only Zelda game this generation but hey what a game.
This might be a weird comparison but I havent been this engrossed in a game since probably World of Warcraft. Simple tasks like destroying a beach full of moblins are fun simply because of what sort of other adventure you might get swooped into. I think I must have spent 25 hours playing it over the past week which is absolutey insane for me since Id consider myself lucky to spend 25hours/month playing games but thanks to how engrossing this game is combined with The switch and how portable and easy it is to play it anywhere it has been a bit of a dangerous combination.

For me personally I don't see my switch being at all like my WiiU, thanks to the portability/convienence at a minimum its going to get a healthy dosage of indie games and will likely be my platform of choice for those but the first year lineup is almost equally as exciting then the entirety of the WiiU lineup.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4851 posts
1331 upvotes
Toronto
Andrew765 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 12:51 pm

Whoa! You can just run around him to get the arrows ... crazy how this game lets you play how you want to play. IIRC ... (***SPOILER***) he doesn't actually drop any arrows, you just pick up the ones around the area after the battle anyway.

[We really need those spoiler tags]
I feel like sneaking around and grabbing the arrows without engaging him is the obvious way to do it. You even stumble on a ton of those stealth mushrooms before you finally get to that area. I was just feeling brave and had more than a few 20-40 damage rating weapons and lots of arrows so I gave it a shot. Once I got the dodge timing down it wasn't hard at all. Most of the difficulty of taking it down is getting the dodge timing right as it's possible to perfect dodge every attack he does
qualdoth wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 1:08 pm
I attempted to fight the Lynel when I was doing that quest line. After 30 minutes of being raped repeatedly, I gave up and just collected the arrows. I never got him below 75% health. I would say I was successful dodging his attacks about 40% of the time. I had about 5-6 hearts at the time, and would generally have less than 1 heart left after being hit once. Given my crappy dodge rate, the fight was not sustainable.
It definitely helps to have some high damage weapons but once you figure out the dodge timing it's possible to beat him without getting hit at all. Every attack can be dodged. I just kept reloading that fight and by the 5-6th try, the timing eventually clicked.
You just need to use the backflip dodge for his light sword and running attacks, and the side dodge when he does the charging attack. Once I got the timing of those down, I was dodge flurrying every attack and unloading ice arrows at him whenever he'd back up. Only lost 2-3 weapons which was worth it because you get his shield, bow and sword after.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
1959 posts
179 upvotes
There are red, white, and blue mained Lynel. And then there are Silver Lynel - Silver Lynel don't care about anything beyond melting your face. Even with the highest defense you can get in the game some Silver Lynal attacks still land for like 8 hearts of damage. They're also virtually immune to elemental damage (Except wind, but good luck doing anything to them with a Wind Blade).
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3196 posts
324 upvotes
Markham
I'm 10 hearts in but have yet to fight a beast. My game is mostly about exploring and I managed to get most of the towers. Almost all of them can be done without fighting anyone. There are ways around it to sneak in a and crawl up. Having some stealth items really help.

I've been trying to practice fighting guardians with the shield deflect method. Not very good at it; timing is off. My battles have been largely defensive, throwing bombs off high cliffs and then finish the rest of them with arrows.

The game amazes me in subtle details. I wasted a bunch of fire arrows before I realize you could just dip your regular arrows into the fire to get a flaming arrow. Game physics is overall very consistent.

And, the best weapon is....... a chicken.

https://gfycat.com/BestFrequentHyracotherium
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
1959 posts
179 upvotes
For the guardians if you're at about the range where the ones that can walk will stand relative to you before firing you press A as soon as you see the blue particle effect start up around the turret section.

I tried to do a one life run and was promptly killed by a blue bokoblin with the spiked club on the Great Plateau.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5603 posts
1175 upvotes
The music in Breath of the Wild is a letdown.

All of the amazing music from 1:46 onwards in the Trailer is never used in the game at all according to people that finished the game.
It is not used in the credits either.

I think overall Ocarina of Time has the most memorable music in the Zelda series:
Kakariko Village, Lon Lon Ranch, Lost Woods, Zelda's lullaby, Temple of Time, are standouts.

N64's Ocarina of Time's Kakariko Village:

Kakariko Village in Breath of the Wild:

Kakariko village in A Link Between Worlds:
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
1959 posts
179 upvotes
There's a lot of good music in BotW, but the OST is really under utilized. If I was going to level any complaint about the production quality it would be that the sound design is pretty good, but the OST utilization is definitely not. The Dragon theme, all of the champion themes, Sidon's theme, the remix of Dragoon Roost from Wind Waker for the Rito village, Hyrule Castle, Zora's Domain, the music from the final boss fight, etc.

As for the trailer music - it's great, but I'm struggling to think of where it would fit in-game.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1214 posts
331 upvotes
There is a lot of area to explore I just wish there was more to do in those areas aside from going to the towers/shrines, visiting a small town and fighting the same goblins/skeletons/lizards.
May 9, 2007
672 posts
173 upvotes
Andrew765 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 3:31 pm
Couple of points:
-I love exploring this world!!! I love being able to see something off in the distance and go explore it.
-Cooking is getting old real fast ... they should set it up so that when you walk up to a cooking pot you just hit "A" and go into a dedicated menu
-Item/inventory management sucks ... why won't you let me use my Wii U tablet for that ???!!!!
-Sorry, but I hope the Switch fails real hard and Nintendo gets out of the hardware business. Man, do I ever want to play this game on my PS4 Pro.
You used to be able to use the Wii U gamepad for that. They actually had to re-write entire portions of the game and story to make it compatible with the Switch. You can see the gamepad in action below. Honestly I don't see how the Switch will do any better than the Wii U. I mean is it truly portable? It's not like you can fit it in your pocket like a 3DS and as a home console it's woefully underpowered. While Sony and Microsoft's consoles are running at 4k, Nintendo can barely run 720p stable. They are not going to get any major third party games. With Sony and MS coming out with new consoles in as little as a coupe of years pushing 8k, how many years can nintendo realistically get out of the Switch? While many console makers take a hit on the hardware in order to push the software, Nintendo is actually making a killing by selling what is essentially a four year tablet for $500+. Besides the handheld market is being dominated by smart phones.

This is not me wanting Nintendo to fail either. I love Nintendo and want to see them succeed. It's just dumbfounding how they have some of the most brilliant minds making magical games that transcend time and yet when it comes to hardware they are almost completely incompetent. It just doesn't make sense. I mean think about the Switch's screen being scratched within days from just normal use and joycon connectivity issues to name a few. BOTW is an amazing game there is no denying that but name me another game that can get 10's across the board from reviewers with frame drops into the single digits. Any other game not named Nintendo or Zelda and this game would have been blasted for it.

SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 1:17 pm
This might be a weird comparison but I havent been this engrossed in a game since probably World of Warcraft. Simple tasks like destroying a beach full of moblins are fun simply because of what sort of other adventure you might get swooped into. I think I must have spent 25 hours playing it over the past week which is absolutey insane for me since Id consider myself lucky to spend 25hours/month playing games but thanks to how engrossing this game is combined with The switch and how portable and easy it is to play it anywhere it has been a bit of a dangerous combination.

For me personally I don't see my switch being at all like my WiiU, thanks to the portability/convienence at a minimum its going to get a healthy dosage of indie games and will likely be my platform of choice for those but the first year lineup is almost equally as exciting then the entirety of the WiiU lineup.
Many people say the Switch is what Nintendo wanted the Wii U to be. Can't argue with that which is probably true but the real question should then be why would they try and improve upon an idea that was already deemed a failure by many? The Wii U is going to go down in history as Nintendo's worst selling console ever. When that happens, you don't try and throw it a life line, you throw that idea out, bury it in the backyard and rethink your strategy. How can you possibly say the Switch's first year lineup is better than the WiiU's entire lineup? The Wii U has a great line up of some AMAZING games not to mention that it was backwards compatible with the Wii's entire lineup of legendary classics. The Switch as ONE console exclusive and it won't be out until the holidays. The two are not even comparable. The Switch will have an uphill battle from here on out and it's true worth will not be measured until late in it's lifecycle. I ended up buying a Gamecube late in it's lifecycle and it ended up being my favorite console of that generation. The Wii U had the power to succeed much like the Switch does but will ultimately be held back by design decisions.

PS this will not be the last Zelda game on this console. We will easily be looking at ports and HD remakes of Skyward Sword as well as the 3DS games and a multiplayer Zelda in the near future. You heard it hear first!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5603 posts
1175 upvotes
^ The original wii, DS and 3DS are very successful despite underpowered hardware (beat out the PS Vita by a large margin).
What Nintendo should do is consolidate all their game development to the Nintendo Switch and gradually phase out the development of new 3DS games
over the course of this year.

The Nintendo Switch is performing well above Nintendo's expectations. Nintendo plans to double the production of Switch consoles to 16 million units shipped by April 2018
instead of the initial 8 million units it expected to sell over the course of the same period.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/03/17/n ... production

For announced console exclusive games The Switch has in 2017:

Super Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (new battle mode the Wii U version did not have, and all 48 tracks - all DLC included including new playable characters)
Splatoon 2
Arms
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers

Outside chance:
Xenoblade 2 (likely 2018)
Octopath Traveller

Released already:
Snipperclips
Fast RMX

May 9, 2007
672 posts
173 upvotes
The meteoric success of the switch is a function of the power of zelda breath of the wild. There is literally nothing else to do with the system. There is no Web browser, no camera and you can't even transfer your own music and videos over to the device to use it as a portable media player dafuq! And I highly doubt people are dropping 500 quid to play snipper clips and 1-2 switch. It plays zelda and thats it. Myself I almost went out and bought a switch along with all of the related amiibos until cooler heads prevailed. That's despite investing countless hours into the wii u version already. That's how freaking amazing this game is.

Why was the wii u such a failure if it was basically a more powerful wii? The power discrepancy between the switch and the ps4 and xbox is even greater this time around. With people spending thousands of dollars on 4k HDR televisions going with a 720p console just seems backwards but time will tell.

I do think the plan is to consolidate their home and handheld divisions even though the 3ds is still selling well I believe.

The ps vita was dead on arrival when Sony decided to go with the immensely more expensive proprietary memory instead of the more accessible SD memory but that's a story for another day. The vita itself is a great piece of hardware. .
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
1959 posts
179 upvotes
Bryson wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 6:56 pm
BOTW is an amazing game there is no denying that but name me another game that can get 10's across the board from reviewers with frame drops into the single digits.
I've played more than 115 hours of BotW according to my switch and I've never seen it drop below 20fps, and even that's infrequent outside specific spots like Korok Forest. It is a problem, and the game should be penalized for it, but stop being hyperbolic.
Bryson wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 7:39 am
Why was the wii u such a failure if it was basically a more powerful wii? The power discrepancy between the switch and the ps4 and xbox is even greater this time around. With people spending thousands of dollars on 4k HDR televisions going with a 720p console just seems backwards but time will tell.
4K adoption rates are hilariously low right now. Most consumers are years away from a 4k transition. And the console is 1080p, portable is 720p. And the Wii U's principal failure was in its utterly abysmal marketing; by the end of the seventh generation the Wii branding was absolutely toxic.
Last edited by Ascott on Mar 20th, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel