Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1129 posts
310 upvotes
Bryson wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 6:56 pm
You used to be able to use the Wii U gamepad for that. They actually had to re-write entire portions of the game and story to make it compatible with the Switch. You can see the gamepad in action below. Honestly I don't see how the Switch will do any better than the Wii U. I mean is it truly portable? It's not like you can fit it in your pocket like a 3DS and as a home console it's woefully underpowered. While Sony and Microsoft's consoles are running at 4k, Nintendo can barely run 720p stable. They are not going to get any major third party games. With Sony and MS coming out with new consoles in as little as a coupe of years pushing 8k, how many years can nintendo realistically get out of the Switch? While many console makers take a hit on the hardware in order to push the software, Nintendo is actually making a killing by selling what is essentially a four year tablet for $500+. Besides the handheld market is being dominated by smart phones.

This is not me wanting Nintendo to fail either. I love Nintendo and want to see them succeed. It's just dumbfounding how they have some of the most brilliant minds making magical games that transcend time and yet when it comes to hardware they are almost completely incompetent. It just doesn't make sense. I mean think about the Switch's screen being scratched within days from just normal use and joycon connectivity issues to name a few. BOTW is an amazing game there is no denying that but name me another game that can get 10's across the board from reviewers with frame drops into the single digits. Any other game not named Nintendo or Zelda and this game would have been blasted for it.

Many people say the Switch is what Nintendo wanted the Wii U to be. Can't argue with that which is probably true but the real question should then be why would they try and improve upon an idea that was already deemed a failure by many? The Wii U is going to go down in history as Nintendo's worst selling console ever. When that happens, you don't try and throw it a life line, you throw that idea out, bury it in the backyard and rethink your strategy. How can you possibly say the Switch's first year lineup is better than the WiiU's entire lineup? The Wii U has a great line up of some AMAZING games not to mention that it was backwards compatible with the Wii's entire lineup of legendary classics. The Switch as ONE console exclusive and it won't be out until the holidays. The two are not even comparable. The Switch will have an uphill battle from here on out and it's true worth will not be measured until late in it's lifecycle. I ended up buying a Gamecube late in it's lifecycle and it ended up being my favorite console of that generation. The Wii U had the power to succeed much like the Switch does but will ultimately be held back by design decisions.

PS this will not be the last Zelda game on this console. We will easily be looking at ports and HD remakes of Skyward Sword as well as the 3DS games and a multiplayer Zelda in the near future. You heard it hear first!
Stopped reading when a complaint was that the framrate of BOTW dropped into single digits. I've put over 20 hours into this game so far and that's not even close to being the truth.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5321 posts
1064 upvotes
The lowest framerate drops Breath of Wild has is 20 fps on the Wii U.

The Switch version performs better and recovers faster. If you play the Switch version in portable mode (720p resolution) it does not drop frames at all.
The Switch version has framerate drops when playing in docked mode (900p native resolution).

Ocarina of Time on the N64 runs at 20 fps all the time but is still highly regarded as one of the best games of all time.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4688 posts
1216 upvotes
Toronto
20 fps was acceptable in 1998 almost 20 years ago, it's no longer acceptable in 2017 but I digress

Despite the technical shortcomings of the hwardware, this game and a good chunk of first party WiiU titles in general are among the most artistically beautiful games I've ever played even though I do 90% of my gaming on a capable PC. Nintendo is good at tailoring their art style within the technical limits of their hardware so I don't find it as distracting or disappointing as playing a game that's artistically aiming for photo realism but running at 900p/20-30fps
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5321 posts
1064 upvotes
The 3DS remake of Ocarina of Time also drops frames into the teens although it does run at a higher framerate than the N64 original and did update the graphics.

Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4546 posts
547 upvotes
Ive been playing about 60% of my time in portable mode but Ive only seen a few instances of frame drops -mostly in towns/korok forest- and it hasnt effected my enjoyment at all.
Admittedly though I have a pretty high tolerance for this sort of thing provided the game is enjoyable, I always find it crazy that a video with some random intermittent FPS drops can result in several pages of discussion over at a place like NeoGaf.

My Joycon's randomly disconnecting has been far more of an irritant then any framerate related issue I've ever experienced.

I still think this obsession over graphics is over overblown and in the end it doesnt really effect peoples enjoyment of things and its just a marketing/talking point.
Would Zelda releasing on PS4/Xb1/PC with a higher framerate/resolution make the game anymore enjoyable? Would it deserve higher review scores?

I dont think so, unless they used that extra power to increase the draw distance or something.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4688 posts
1216 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 4:37 pm
Would Zelda releasing on PS4/Xb1/PC with a higher framerate/resolution make the game anymore enjoyable? Would it deserve higher review scores?
In my opinion yes it would but not all that much because it has a cartoony art style that was designed to be enjoyed on weak hardware from the very start. I don't find the framerate/resolution as detrimental to the enjoyment as it is for games that are aiming for photo realistic visuals like say GTA, Battlefield, Uncharted, ect
May 9, 2007
603 posts
119 upvotes
Some advanced gameplay tips that I didn't know about even after 60 hours of playing the game to make your life in Breath of the Wild a little smoother. No story spoilers but if you prefer to figure everything out for yourself than obviously don't read the following post:

-If you want to make sure you've picked up every single treasure chest in a dungeon while driving yourself mad in the process you can have your Sensor+ locate them. I was sure I had found all of the treasure chests in the dungeon but when I turned it on there were quite a few left.

-You can skip the cooking animation by pressing X.

- Early in the game I was trying to figure out why sometimes cooking two apples would heal for 2 hearts and other times for 6 hearts! Cooking food has the ability to randomly crit. Cooking under a blood moon always guarantees a critical hit. Approximately from 11:30pm-12:10am. I was able to cook about 20 meals in that time so cook accordingly.

Absolutely hilarious video by videogamedunkey:

-
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1129 posts
310 upvotes
Bryson wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 5:54 pm
Some advanced gameplay tips that I didn't know about even after 60 hours of playing the game to make your life in Breath of the Wild a little smoother. No story spoilers but if you prefer to figure everything out for yourself than obviously don't read the following post:

-If you want to make sure you've picked up every single treasure chest in a dungeon while driving yourself mad in the process you can have your Sensor+ locate them. I was sure I had found all of the treasure chests in the dungeon but when I turned it on there were quite a few left.

-You can skip the cooking animation by pressing X.

- Early in the game I was trying to figure out why sometimes cooking two apples would heal for 2 hearts and other times for 6 hearts! Cooking food has the ability to randomly crit. Cooking under a blood moon always guarantees a critical hit. Approximately from 11:30pm-12:10am. I was able to cook about 20 meals in that time so cook accordingly.

Absolutely hilarious video by videogamedunkey:

-
Good tips!

I don't really have the patience to go through all those videos but feel free to share anymore good tips!
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel