[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5276 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 3:44 pm
Take your time. Zelda is the kind of game that you can play for a short stint or lose yourself for the whole day. Taking a break to play through Horizon Zero Dawn myself. Speaking of the Witcher. I am actually reading through the books in my spare time in preparation for taking on the entire Witcher series! Good bye life. Good bye Cruel world lol.
Yup I intend to and will probably still be playing this well into the spring if not summer. Games are rarely this good and I want it to last as long as possible so my plan is to take breaks between clearing each Beast to finishing something short in my backlog. Damn you're going to have a blast with TW3, especially with the GOTY edition, it's an insane amount of quality content. I'd honestly skip over the first game at this point, it's mad old and hasn't aged well at all. TW2 is still great and short enough that's it's worth playing and TW3 is without question the best RPG I've ever played
May 9, 2007
807 posts
221 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 3:54 pm
Yup I intend to and will probably still be playing this well into the spring if not summer. Games are rarely this good and I want it to last as long as possible so my plan is to take breaks between clearing each Beast to finishing something short in my backlog. Damn you're going to have a blast with TW3, especially with the GOTY edition, it's an insane amount of quality content. I'd honestly skip over the first game at this point, it's mad old and hasn't aged well at all. TW2 is still great and short enough that's it's worth playing and TW3 is without question the best RPG I've ever played
Ya I will start The Witcher 1 and see how it goes. The thing is that there is a lot of back story and feel like it would be worth going through the series in order. I keep hearing how TW3 is the best game ever made so looking forward to playing it it. Ironically I had no interest whatesoever in playing it until playing Zelda BOTW. Same for Horizon. I tend to shy away from open world games due to the huge time commitment but BOTW warned me up to it and with future games all becoming huge open world affairs I think it will be harder and harder to work through our back log.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5974 posts
1273 upvotes
Bryson wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 3:01 pm
The game has been out for almost a month and you only have four hearts? Start hitting those shrines slacker. Just kidding lol. How many amiibos do you have?
I opted to choose the stamina upgrade for the second upgrade since I find having more stamina more useful than another heart container.

I have all of the Zelda-related amiibos.
Overall I think I have around 80% of the amiibos released. I skipped all of the Animal Crossing series ones, and skipped the new Kirby series amiibos.

My most recent backlog shelf of games released in 2017, that I am currently playing or put aside (some of those are from Fall-Winter 2016).

Last edited by XFactor11 on Mar 29th, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1682 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
I played somewhere around 25-30 hours so far. I beat one of the dungeons, and now I'm taking time to just explore the world. Just yesterday, I cleared all the Sheikah towers. Now I want to clear more shrines before tackling the other dungeons.

This is the first open world game where I feel like exploring the world for no reason. Even in games such as Grand Theft Auto 5, I felt it was a chore.

I was about six hours in Horizon when I got Zelda. I don't think I could play both of these games at the same time, so I'll hold off on that until the summer.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1682 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 4:24 pm
I opted to choose the stamina upgrade for the second upgrade since I find having more stamina more useful than another heart container.

I have all of the Zelda-related amiibos.
Overall I think I have around 80% of the amiibos released. I skipped all of the Animal Crossing series ones, and skipped the new Kirby series amiibos.

Backlog of games released in 2017, that I am currently playing or put aside (except Rise of the Tomb Raider which released last year).

Are you planning on getting Zero Escape: The Nonary Games?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5974 posts
1273 upvotes
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 5:36 pm
Are you planning on getting Zero Escape: The Nonary Games?
I have two of the three in that collection on Vita but never got around to playing them. Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma, that is.
I never played 999 (Nine doors, Nine People, Nine Hours) either.

Danganrompa is a game I never played but have on Vita but I forgot to cancel my pre-order.
I don't think I will make time to play either version anytime soon with Persona 5 out next week.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
5968 posts
1685 upvotes
Canada
Whatever frame rate issues the idorks have found, I haven't noticed nor have not been noticeable enough to make me care. It looks and plays beautifully on Switch docked to a tv.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5974 posts
1273 upvotes
raspeed wrote:
Mar 30th, 2017 6:20 pm
Whatever frame rate issues the idorks have found, I haven't noticed nor have not been noticeable enough to make me care. It looks and plays beautifully on Switch docked to a tv.
Are you kidding? It is especially noticeable during combat or running through high grass and densely vegetated areas. Try spinning the camera around and it is
not smooth.

Even in docked mode all versions of Zelda Breath of the Wild have framerate issues.
Granted it is nowhere near as bad as the level of choppiness of the last generation PS3 version of Skyrim.
Another example but from this console generation would be Just Cause 3 but nowhere close to being as bad as Just Cause 3.

It is still a great game despite the performance letdowns. Albeit the story telling style is somewhat bland so far from where I am very early in the story.

I just recorded this video from the Switch version running in docked mode:

Notice how the camera pans inconsistently at varying speeds, the bomb arrows exploding at inconsistent speeds and other slowdown/stutter.
The Wii U version is the most unstable with more persistent performance issues.

Kakariko village Nintendo Switch docked mode:

Patch 1.1 released just now. It makes improvements but it is still not stable.

Last edited by XFactor11 on Mar 30th, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 9, 2007
807 posts
221 upvotes
Great news about the new patch. If I can get a few more frames on my wii u I'll be happy. Can't wait to see what digital foundry has to say.

Honestly I still don't understand if the game runs stable in handheld mode why nintendo just doesn't allow the gsme to run at 720p docked mode and be done with it. Have a performance and resolution setting the way that horizon zero dawn does.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4793 posts
617 upvotes
calgary
In my experience it runs perfectly fine 90% of the time at 900p when docked. The only areas Ive noticed any slowdown is Korok Forrest and the plateau.
Some people that are really sensitive about that stuff are making a big deal about it but I dont think its a big issue and Im glad they left it at 900P.

Though I have been playing probably 65% of my time in handheld mode.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5276 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Mar 30th, 2017 11:05 pm
Great news about the new patch. If I can get a few more frames on my wii u I'll be happy. Can't wait to see what digital foundry has to say.
Absolutely no noticeable difference on WiiU. Framerate still tanks in Kakariko and Hetano. Seems the frame rate improvements were only for Switch
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
5968 posts
1685 upvotes
Canada
I guess I've just been enjoying the game too much to notice the gripes with framerate... even with some frustrating difficulty at times. I'm no newb, but I've gotten tired of wasting time and have regrettably sourced the internet to figure out the occasional shrine and what not just because I don't have hours every day to play it.

When it comes to the grass ... that's been raved about from the get go. I'm not seeing it at all ... I think the only way I will see it is if I pull up these videos and watch it at the same time.... I'm just not seeing the nitpick here.

At the risk of repeating myself I'm not seeing any issues with the game, any more than I'd expect and do see regularly in every other console game. I mostly play FPS so perhaps I've gotten used to random chopiness.

I've not put more than a few hours in to any given SP game in the past decade. This one is actually addicting enough to make me want to go play it ... and that normally only happens with the latest flavor of FPS.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4793 posts
617 upvotes
calgary
My one major complaint I have with this game is that the deeper I get into it, the more powerful I get, and the easier the game gets.

Its at the point now where almost every battle is a cakewalk, I think I much prefered the gameplay when I had 3 hearts and crappy weapons that broke and I had to tactically sneak up on a group of baddies to get past them instead of just walking in guns a blazing.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
5968 posts
1685 upvotes
Canada
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 31st, 2017 2:37 pm
My one major complaint I have with this game is that the deeper I get into it, the more powerful I get, and the easier the game gets.

Its at the point now where almost every battle is a cakewalk, I think I much prefered the gameplay when I had 3 hearts and crappy weapons that broke and I had to tactically sneak up on a group of baddies to get past them instead of just walking in guns a blazing.
I'm still at the stage where I either:
A) Avoid encounters
B) Try to get myself in to a position where they have a hard time getting at me and using bombs
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5939 posts
776 upvotes
Grimsby
It was pretty difficult not to see the framerate chugs, they were really severe in a few spots. No one said it ruined the game or anything though. Glad to see the patch addresses most of these, hopefully making it a moot point.

I've been farting around in the northwest of the map lately. Every time I retread an area I find new stuff, I don't know how they put so much stuff into the world with such a small team. Also a neat touch that I didn't know until now, elemental swords affect your temperature and can offset cold/heat from the environment. I'm purposely avoiding videos for the game so I'm sure its been pointed out already but man what a neat touch. What a great game in general, definitely one of my top 10 all time favs already.