• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2017 12:25 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2038 posts
190 upvotes
The dev team wasn't that small. It was three times the size of the Skyrim dev team at 300 people v. 100.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5276 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Mar 31st, 2017 3:06 pm
Also a neat touch that I didn't know until now, elemental swords affect your temperature and can offset cold/heat from the environment.
I just saw a clip where a guy dropped an egg in the hot springs and it turned into a boiled egg. They really thought of everything
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5974 posts
1273 upvotes
Portable mode has always run better than Docked mode all-round but the 1.1 patch improves the
framerate of Breath of the Wild in Docked mode where framerate drops were more frequent at these locations.
Some of the locations tested still have noticeable framerate drops but to a lesser extent that before.

It isn't a steady 30 fps lock but it is an improvement over where it was pre-patch.
Gamereactor and GameXplain did a comparison of docked mode before and after 1.1 in Korok Forest, the opening Great Plateau area, etc.

May 9, 2007
807 posts
221 upvotes
Spoiler warning: The above video spoils the location of the Master Sword as that is one of the areas which puts a lot of stress on the system because of the lighting, foliage etc..

Not gonna lie, I am happy with the new update! It's a step in the right direction. Frame rate has definitely improved and seems more stable overall. Not dramatically but noticeable when seen side by side.

Comparing the Wii U version you can see here at the 4:20 mark in Hateno Village when the camera pans around, version 1.10 drops frames while 1.1.1 does not!

Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3303 posts
379 upvotes
Markham
Lynel battle with no weapon, no armour, no clothes, no healing, three hearts and a rock.

Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5974 posts
1273 upvotes
Digital Foundry finally has their analysis of Patch 1.11 complete with the frame-rate graph.

They disprove all the claims of other Youtube videos that thought Patch 1.11 improved the Wii U version.

Summary:

Overall, for the Switch version only, it still does not maintain 30 fps but it is a big improvement over the framerate drops of 1.10.
Framerate still dips as low as 20 fps but the game recovers faster than before.

Playing the Switch version in portable mode is the smoothest experience according to their tests and conclusion.
In portable mode, the framerate drops only in a few situations.

Switch version:

Dynamic resolution when docked: 900p drops to 840p when stressed.
Dynamic resolution when in portable mode: 720p drops to 648p when under load.

In patch 1.11 Docked mode: Kakariko village still has framerate drops to 24, 25 fps but recovers faster.
In patch 1.10 Docked mode: Kakariko village dropped to as low as 20 fps for a sustained period of time.

Korok forest still has framerate drops in Korok village but is tangibly improved over the previous version (as much as 10 fps improved over previous tests).

Wii U version (720p native resolution still): Still drops and locks to 20 fps for extended periods of time when stressed.
Patch 1.11 on the Wii U runs almost identically to patch 1.10 but with seemingly some minor improvements once in a while but basically performs
exactly the same within their margin of error.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5276 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
I said the night the patch came out that I didn't notice any difference what so ever on WiiU. I found it odd that so many people on reddit seem to believe the WiiU version was improved because as far as I could tell it runs exactly the same
May 9, 2007
807 posts
221 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 31st, 2017 4:37 pm
I just saw a clip where a guy dropped an egg in the hot springs and it turned into a boiled egg. They really thought of everything
The physics in this game are just insane. Also from another clip. In parts of the game where you have to solve a puzzle by connecting two electrical points you can actually use your sword! Not really a spoiler as it's not the real way to solve it but still hella ingenious!

@3:40

Here’s a fun story from deep inside Nintendo, a company that doesn’t often speak openly about their development process. When Nintendo was first conceptualizing the next big Zelda game, Miyamoto and Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma asked the directors to describe Breath of the Wild’s main theme. What, they asked, could you do in this new Zelda?

Zelda: Breath of the Wild director Hidemaro Fujibayashi decided to get a little ambitious.

My response to Mr. Miyamoto and Mr. Aonuma was: You can do everything,” Fujibayashi told me during an interview last week in San Francisco, speaking through a translator.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3303 posts
379 upvotes
Markham
I was playing a shrine last night and there was two weighted buttons but I only had one heavy block. I placed a heavy weapon on the other and was able to get past it. And if you use some creativity that Leaf becomes very useful. Pretty much anything you can imagine will work, does.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1429 posts
438 upvotes
Jonavin wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 11:09 am
I was playing a shrine last night and there was two weighted buttons but I only had one heavy block. I placed a heavy weapon on the other and was able to get past it. And if you use some creativity that Leaf becomes very useful. Pretty much anything you can imagine will work, does.
You likely could have used a metal chest as well if there was one around.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3303 posts
379 upvotes
Markham
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 12:08 pm
You likely could have used a metal chest as well if there was one around.
All the chests were wood, neither the magnetism or statatis worked on it. I could've missed seeing another iron block or barrel somewhere.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5974 posts
1273 upvotes
Do you remember the name of the shrine?
I can look it up in the strategy guide for what the "conventional" solution would have been.
Jonavin wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 2:54 pm
All the chests were wood, neither the magnetism or statatis worked on it. I could've missed seeing another iron block or barrel somewhere.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3303 posts
379 upvotes
Markham
Can't remember. Might be the one where you have to bypass all the Guardians. I have the guide too but it's still in shrink-wrap. At some point I will open it but I'm having fun just coming up with creative ways to solve the shrine.

I love watching videos of people doing shrines I've already completed and seeing that they have a completely different approach. That's why I love this game.
Mar 17, 2006
556 posts
66 upvotes
Markham
I hear you can also use the Raw Prime Meat as a weighted item for those buttons.

If you drop an egg into a hotspring, it becomes a boiled egg.

Such a creative game!
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2049 posts
567 upvotes
Edmonton
I love how they make some shrines really difficult to actually get into or find. And then when you do get in, the game just says "You've already proven your worth" here's the treasure.