• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2017 12:25 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2029 posts
550 upvotes
I "finished" the game last night on Wii U. Went in and defeated Calamity Ganon. Got all of the memories except for 1. Didn't know that would trigger a different ending (just learned on here). I've avoided most BoTW talk until know. But I'm ready to stop actively avoiding spoilers after having completed the game "my way".

58 hours
All 4 divine beasts
65 68 shrines
16 hearts
2 & 3/5 stamina rings
did a few side quests
80 54 korok seeds

Used the IGN interactive map at hour ~45 to find more fairy fountains and used a strategy guide to finish the Calamity Ganon battle since the GF was breathing down my neck to give back the TV.

I think this could be my favorite game of all time. What a fun ride. Debating on whether or not I'll jump back in ... want to leave on a high note.
Last edited by Andrew765 on Apr 17th, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5079 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
Andrew765 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 6:08 pm
58 hours
All 4 divine beasts
~65 shrines
16 hearts
2 & 3/5 stamina rings
did a few side quests
80 korok seeds (I think)
I'm surprised all of that only took you 58 hours. I think I've played around 40-50 and have only done 1 beast and maybe 30-40 shrines if that.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2029 posts
550 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 11:45 am
I'm surprised all of that only took you 58 hours. I think I've played around 40-50 and have only done 1 beast and maybe 30-40 shrines if that.
I inadvertently ended up at the Zora's right after Kakariko village and pretty much took a direct path to each of the 4 beasts after that. As I mentioned, I had 3 hearts when I completed my first beast. I only went after shrines that showed up on my radar but went right back to a direct path to the next beast after completing the shrine. I spent maybe only 10% of my time wandering/adventuring around and pretty much ignored all side quests, other than those that upgraded my gear.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1384 posts
310 upvotes
Borrowed my friend's Switch (and Zelda for a couple weeks). Had never really played a Zelda game, and so was pretty excited with all the hype and review scores.

6-8 hours in.... and I've pretty much lost interest. Not sure if the hype is around nostalgia/familiarity, but compared to other similar RPG/open world games... it just feels really dated in basically every major category. I respect the fact that this game really makes an effort to avoid hand-holding.. but for someone new to the franchise it really just frustrates and makes the experience more drawn out and tedious than it should. Oh well, glad you guys all enjoy.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5079 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
signore wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 3:16 pm
compared to other similar RPG/open world games... it just feels really dated in basically every major category.
Compared to which games specifically? This is interesting opinion considering most of the games praise comes from it breaking the traditional mold of recent open world games
signore wrote:
I respect the fact that this game really makes an effort to avoid hand-holding.. but for someone new to the franchise it really just frustrates and makes the experience more drawn out and tedious than it should
Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword might've been a better introductory for you as they were filled with hand holding tutorials to assist new players. So much so that long time fans complained a lot which led to the drastic shift in BOTW. Personally I didn't have any issues figuring out BOTW but I've also been playing these games for 20+ years.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4734 posts
603 upvotes
signore wrote:
Borrowed my friend's Switch (and Zelda for a couple weeks). Had never really played a Zelda game, and so was pretty excited with all the hype and review scores.

6-8 hours in.... and I've pretty much lost interest. Not sure if the hype is around nostalgia/familiarity, but compared to other similar RPG/open world games... it just feels really dated in basically every major category. I respect the fact that this game really makes an effort to avoid hand-holding.. but for someone new to the franchise it really just frustrates and makes the experience more drawn out and tedious than it should. Oh well, glad you guys all enjoy.
Id be curious to hear some specific examples of how it is "dated". If anything it did away with a lot of the unnecessary things in modern game development that just serve to bog a game down or make it feel lifeless. Unless your talking about the specific systems like cooking and durability which are a bit of a pain initially but I personally actually grew to appreciate them over the course of the game.

It all felt very fresh to me right from beginning to end. There are no checkpoints, waypoints, map/quest indicators, and a lot of the quests are vague and involve some thought stripping all that stuff away led to a sense of freedom and adventure to the point where it gave me a feeling playing a game that I havent felt in probably a decade.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5852 posts
1229 upvotes
I like the Shrine puzzles in BotW much more than the Puzzles in something that is a pure puzzle game such as Portal 2.
Portal 2 made up its own physics and rules.

Breath of the Wild's puzzles are more grounded and logical and can be solved in multiple ways instead of Portal 2 usually having one very unique solution
that must be followed.

I solved this puzzle using Link's powers and without using the cog wheel to spin the laser beam around.
This Shrine can be solved a lot faster using the method I used.

Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2028 posts
190 upvotes
Yeah, the Shrines are absolutely a fantastic idea. They aren't all winners, but the majority are good and a handful of them (~15-20 or so) are flat out some of the best puzzles in the entire franchise. They also remove the design constraints the dungeons imposed - a good puzzle stands on its own in BotW, it doesn't need to bow the theme or pacing of a fixed dungeon. You would never get stuff like that waterfall/waterwall shrine in a normal Zelda dungeon.

I can see the basis for many of the criticisms of BotW, but the people that dislike the shrines are way beyond me.

And yeah, I'm on board with not getting the dated comment too. Technically? Sure. Mechanically though? Not at all.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5819 posts
708 upvotes
Grimsby
Yeah the dated comment makes no sense to me, Zelda breaks from traditional open world design in several ways and takes some laudable risks with mechanics. I found the gameplay loop to be very compelling but like every other game, I'm sure its not for everyone.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3246 posts
339 upvotes
Markham
Mah Ryo shrine in Mario Maker.

Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2028 posts
190 upvotes
The new difficulty doesn't sound as robust as I was hoping for, but Trail of the Sword sounds cool. Like a Vindictive Eventide Isle.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5079 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
Sucks to see features like the map travel log and kurok mask locked behind a DLC paywall. Those should be free updates imo. The hard mode and combat trials sound like the meat of this DLC release and I'm not really interested in either
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1677 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
Most of the DLC pack content such as the Hard Mode and improved map navigation features (Korok Mask, Travel Medallion + Hero's Path Mode) is something that other games would get as a free patch.

But even if we give Nintendo a pass on that, this stuff is arriving pretty late. I already purchased the DLC pack and have no regrets. But, I don't know if I should hold playing this game until these features arrive "this summer" (could mean as early as June or as late as September).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5819 posts
708 upvotes
Grimsby
Yeah I don't like item paywalls at all and a Zelda horde mode clone doesn't appeal to me. I will wait for DLC2 with the dungeon.