• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2017 12:25 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2011
1002 posts
193 upvotes
Finally started this on the Wii U, loving the game so far and is well made. Graphics are outdated and it has some frame drops, but doesn't bother me.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5262 posts
1695 upvotes
Toronto
Vinotintazo wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 11:35 am
Finally started this on the Wii U, loving the game so far and is well made. Graphics are outdated and it has some frame drops, but doesn't bother me.
Be sure to update the game if you didn't already as it improved some of the frame rate issues
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5262 posts
1695 upvotes
Toronto
I've been playing this again recently side by side with HZD and while HZD is excellent, playing it made me appreciate how creative, unique and open BOTW actually is. I'm just getting ready to finally tackle the second divine beast on Death Mountain. Crazy that I'm like 50 hours deep into this game but not even half way through it and it continues to surprise me.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2037 posts
190 upvotes
I was at like 70 hours played before I even traveled north of Hyrule Castle. I love that the game doesn't plunk a tone of markers on you or a checklist of generic side activities. It just gets you off the Plateau and says "There's the world, go forth".

And a lot of the side content is organic. Nothing tells you to go find the lord of the forest, or the great faeries, or Eventide. And the quests don't ever just point you to something - like the quest centered around the twin rivers just gives you a riddle to follow and doesn't actually tell you what you'll find upon solving it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5928 posts
775 upvotes
Grimsby
I really appreciated the attention to detail in the world design. There are a lot of environmental cues that lead the player around organically instead of using minimap icons and other open world tropes. Many quests just give you a vague idea of where to go and you discover it for yourself, it never truly felt annoying to me though. It wouldn't work in a Ubisoft game where they are copy/pasting half of the map, the two concepts have to be tightly integrated. It helps create a personal narrative for your journey and makes every experience feel unique. Sure almost everyone goes to Kakariko Village at some point but I guarantee they did not take my crazy 20 trip to it. The ability to go anywhere is a potential game changer for the genre and other games will hopefully take note.

Anyways to be honest I don't really turn on the Switch much anymore but it was worth it just for BoTW alone and hopefully I get some other RPGs soon.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2011
1002 posts
193 upvotes
Took me like 2 hours to kill the Minotaur boss for the Zora quest lol... it Felt like Dark Souls ( I haven't played Dark Souls), beat him after I found out I had 1 dmg boost food.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5262 posts
1695 upvotes
Toronto
Vinotintazo wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 11:29 am
Took me like 2 hours to kill the Minotaur boss for the Zora quest lol... it Felt like Dark Souls ( I haven't played Dark Souls), beat him after I found out I had 1 dmg boost food.
Fighting those Lynels gets easy once you get used to the timing of dodge and rush attack. Keep close locked on, backflip dodge right when they attack, rush attack, repeat. When you get used to that you'll be able to kill them without getting hit. On that quest specifically, you could also stealth around them to collect the arrows and not fight it at all
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2011
1002 posts
193 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 1:24 pm
Fighting those Lynels gets easy once you get used to the timing of dodge and rush attack. Keep close locked on, backflip dodge right when they attack, rush attack, repeat. When you get used to that you'll be able to kill them without getting hit. On that quest specifically, you could also stealth around them to collect the arrows and not fight it at all
My main problem was he was 1 shooting me ( only have 4 hearts) , so if I made a mistake with the timing of the dodge, I was dead.

Mistakes like:
instead of back dodge link will jump sideways = dead.
Weapon breaks and -> arrow sometimes doesn't pause game for me I have to hit it like 3 times = to slow = dead.
In the middle of fight while pushing down to dodge my link will crouch = dead.
while dodging his basic attack the odd time it would get me on his 2nd or (rarely) 3rd swing = dead.
Sometimes after he pulls away and charges you, he's next to you, then he charges again from like 2 feet away (the bull charge) = dead.

In addition he was burning through my melee Weaps, I had to use a Leaf and one point I believe haha. So finally I was thinking was meal I could use and had 1 fish with 1:50 min boost dmg and used it while using my highest dmg weapon. After I switch to this strategy took me 2 tries.

I was stubburn and didnt want to research online so thats why it took me a while haha, it was fun though.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5262 posts
1695 upvotes
Toronto
Vinotintazo wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 1:52 pm
My main problem was he was 1 shooting me ( only have 4 hearts) , so if I made a mistake with the timing of the dodge, I was dead.
If you only had 4 hearts you might be rushing into that quest a little too early and under equipped in general. Take your time exploring and completing shrines to get those orb things you can trade for hearts at the goddess statues and you'll probably stockpile powerful weapons in the process. You can also cook meals that give you heart boosts which are super helpful for fighting the tougher bosses.

The cool thing about this game is it doesn't tell you when or how you should do any particular quest, but in general taking your time to explore and complete shrines rewards you with stuff that makes the game easier
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2011
1002 posts
193 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 2:04 pm
If you only had 4 hearts you might be rushing into that quest a little too early and under equipped in general. Take your time exploring and completing shrines to get those orb things you can trade for hearts at the goddess statues and you'll probably stockpile powerful weapons in the process. You can also cook meals that give you heart boosts which are super helpful for fighting the tougher bosses.

The cool thing about this game is it doesn't tell you when or how you should do any particular quest, but in general taking your time to explore and complete shrines rewards you with stuff that makes the game easier
I was trying to find that statue in the Zora Village, didnt want to go back to the first village for it, im going now before I go any further have like 8 + orbs haha. I didnt think 2 extra hearts will save me from getting 1 shot.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5262 posts
1695 upvotes
Toronto
Vinotintazo wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 2:09 pm
I didnt think 2 extra hearts will save me from getting 1 shot.
It might not to be honest. There are different classes of Lynels and I can't remember how powerful that specific one is. If you still get one shotted then the strategy is to cook/eat bonus hearts dishes or just get so good at dodge and rush than you just don't get hit lol
RFD Staff Writer
Aug 18, 2015
70 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Vinotintazo wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 11:29 am
Sorry if I missed it, but which quest are you trying to complete exactly? Is it the one where you have to collect shock arrows? Because you can just sneak around and collect the arrows. It takes a while, but you don't have to fight it.
Sent from my Commodore 64
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2011
1002 posts
193 upvotes
RFDAmbia wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 11:27 am
Sorry if I missed it, but which quest are you trying to complete exactly? Is it the one where you have to collect shock arrows? Because you can just sneak around and collect the arrows. It takes a while, but you don't have to fight it.
Yes that was it.
RFD Staff Writer
Aug 18, 2015
70 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Vinotintazo wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 12:04 pm
Yes that was it.
Props to you for actually killing it with 4 hearts! I just crouched and snuck around collecting all the arrows before the thing saw me. I went back and killed it later when I was strong enough (and it had stopped raining)
Sent from my Commodore 64