Pets

Legit Toy Poodle Mix Breeders In Ontario?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2012 5:43 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 17, 2011
6 posts
London

Legit Toy Poodle Mix Breeders In Ontario?

My wife and I are looking for a a toy poodle mix, preferably a Maltipoo or a Bichon-poo from a legit breeder in Ontario. At this point, we would consider other mixes too. We've had our hopes dashed by both Joyful Puppies and Purdy Puppy who both turned out to be puppy mills. We don't want to support puppy mills, nor do we want to spend thousands in vet bills and have our hearts broken by having an incurably ill pup.

Does anyone out there know where we can find healthy poodle mixes? All of the lists of legit breeders we've found all seem to be dealing with purebreds. We understand that purebred will always be healthiest, but there are so many mixes out there. Are they all doomed? Is it impossible to get a good toy poodle mix?

Any input you might have would be most appreciated. Thank you!
11 replies
Jan 23, 2012
164 posts
63 upvotes
Ilderton, ON
You will likely have trouble finding a good breeder of poodle mixes because these 'designer' dogs are a fad that many unscrupulous people are using to make money. Reputable breeders are going to only breed purebred dogs and not charge a fortune for a mixed breed. Is there a reason that you want a mix and not a purebred? Often costing less than a designer dog, if you find a good breeder, you can get a purebred dog with known characteristics and a breeder who will be there for you for the life of the dog. What about a poodle or a bichon or a maltese? There are also other less well known small breeds worth considering, such as havanese or coton de tulear that are wonderful little dogs, often having fewer genetic health problems than the more popular breeds. If you are set on a poodle mix, take any breeder recommendations with a grain of salt. Do your own research before buying to make sure they really are legit.
Jan 17, 2011
6 posts
London
Thanks for the info, Notme666.

It's really just the case that my wife fell in love with the aforementioned mixes, and we wanted the "hypoallergenic" and intellect attributes from a poodle but not the elongated nose. The bichon poos and maltipoos we've seen fit the description of what we are looking for.

I do like the look of the Havanese though, like little sheepdogs. :) We've been asking all the breeders a bunch of questions, regarding seeing the parents and the health guarantees, as well as documentation from veterinarians. So far, none have proven to be serious people that care about the dogs, so we will continue to consider our options.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
There's really nothing legit about any of the tiny/toy/teacup breeds. They are a product of artificial selection.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Apr 12, 2007
389 posts
18 upvotes
You will never be able to predict what the pup will look like. At puppy class I have seen a goldendoodle teacup size and a goldendoodle standard size. 1 looks like a poodle and one looks like a golden lab. I agree with what the others have said, not going to those bigger companies because of puppy mills, that should be the same reason you don't buy a designer breed. If you are going to go with a mutt, go to a shelter or rescue and save one!!
Oct 25, 2012
21 posts
6 upvotes
Hi,

Unfortunately, "hypoallergenic" dog breeds are a myth that backyard and some legitimate breeders perpetuate. If there is someone allergic to pets in your home, the best solution might be to foster a dog for a while, otherwise you risk heartbreak. You should try contacting a breed-specific rescue, as many of them desperately need foster homes.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6905 posts
417 upvotes
Ottawa
McCarter wrote: Hi,

Unfortunately, "hypoallergenic" dog breeds are a myth that backyard and some legitimate breeders perpetuate. If there is someone allergic to pets in your home, the best solution might be to foster a dog for a while, otherwise you risk heartbreak. You should try contacting a breed-specific rescue, as many of them desperately need foster homes.
+1

Do you want a non-shedding dog?

Most malti-poo dogs inherit the look and structure of a maltese and the colouring from the poodle since white isn’t dominate. So that is why you see adorable dark coloured malti-poo’s and sometimes weird looking fur puppies. When people tell me they want a malti-poo and show me pics of their dog they want a dark maltese. If you like a specific look from the maltese breed you can go to the US and get many of the “babydoll” face. Of course you’ll have a white dog vs a dark coloured dog. Way way more selection in the US for the maltese breed where breeders are ethical and legit.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
6083 posts
727 upvotes
Vancouver
I have a havanese and they are awesome.

Non shedding but you do have to put up with mattes like with all non shedding dogs with loing hair.

My wife is allergic to cats and dogs but she doesn't seem to suffer allergies from our little havanese.

Only issue you might find with a havanese is that they can suffer from separation anxiety.

Elizabeth Obrecht from http://www.rockhurst.ca/ breeds some very good Havanese.

[IMG]http://www.rockhurst.ca/images/litters/ ... 2012-1.jpg[/IMG]
Jan 17, 2011
6 posts
London
Thanks for your advice, everyone. After much consideration, we will be getting a purebred after all. Funny you should post that, Narci. After some long research, we decided to get a Havanese. We're going to pick one up this Saturday from http://www.everspringdogs.com/ If anyone has any experience with them or a scary buyer beware story, please let me know. Thanks!
Jan 23, 2012
164 posts
63 upvotes
Ilderton, ON
SeikenX wrote: Thanks for your advice, everyone. After much consideration, we will be getting a purebred after all. Funny you should post that, Narci. After some long research, we decided to get a Havanese. We're going to pick one up this Saturday from http://www.everspringdogs.com/ If anyone has any experience with them or a scary buyer beware story, please let me know. Thanks!
Congratulations! I'm so glad you changed your mind. I am a big dog person, but I think if I ever got a small dog, I would like a havanese.

As Narci mentioned, the best way to find a reputable breeder is to check the breed club. The breeders themselves know best about any shady breeders and would never permit them to be part of the club. Since yours is listed, they should be fine. What you can expect from your breeder is to have all your questions answered honestly, and possibly even more information offered. They should be asking you plenty of questions as well, to satisfy themselves that you will be providing their puppy with a good home. Hopefully, you are building a relationship that will continue for the life of the dog. Any time you have a question, you should be able to call and ask your breeder. They are often more helpful and knowledgable than your vet.

Your next job now is to find a good food for your new puppy. The breeder will likely have suggestions. There are a few long threads on here as well discussing the many food options.

Now you can go shopping for all that fun puppy stuff. (Homesense usually has a pretty good pet section with reasonable prices.)

Good luck. Enjoy your puppy!
Aug 27, 2007
132 posts
7 upvotes
Burlington
Having grown up with purebred Poodles (Miniature size as per CKC, between 10" & 15" tall) and an Afghan Hound, I am definitely not a purebred breed snob. My parents had a great vet once & he said the best dogs for families are the mutts - much healthier than the purebreds (due to less inbreeding) & better dispositions.
With that being said, I wouldn't pay the exhorbitant amounts these mixed breed "breeders" are asking for.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)