Entertainment

The Official RFD LEGO General Discussion Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 7:26 pm
Jul 13, 2018
221 posts
166 upvotes
priceman wrote: Anyone have any idea when lego will finally retire great hall and Hogwarts Express??? they have been out for nearly 3 years now....
For the Great Hall (Whomping Willow, and Knight Bus) the word is Summer (or Q2). They extended it’s lifespan due to the pandemic. (The Amazon prime day Lego discounter sets are mostly all retired, save for the Cargo Train).
There’s possibly another few still being saved for a few months...
Assembly Square and Roller Coaster are speculated to retire Q1/Q2 2020.
I’m surprised at a couple Brickheadz still on sale.
This is all just based on rumours found online, nothing is factual, and set in stone, so take it with a grain of salt.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2008
1830 posts
673 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
JoelH69724 wrote: For the Great Hall (Whomping Willow, and Knight Bus) the word is Summer (or Q2). They extended it’s lifespan due to the pandemic. (The Amazon prime day Lego discounter sets are mostly all retired, save for the Cargo Train).
There’s possibly another few still being saved for a few months...
Assembly Square and Roller Coaster are speculated to retire Q1/Q2 2020.
I’m surprised at a couple Brickheadz still on sale.
This is all just based on rumours found online, nothing is factual, and set in stone, so take it with a grain of salt.
Still curious about Hogwarts Express.... when will the retire that one?
Dec 19, 2004
251 posts
22 upvotes
priceman wrote: man... i’m just watching some youtube videos... I really miss the Pick a Brick wall... It was so fun filling up a cup... stacking the bricks, planning how to fit as many as possible into the cup... trying to squeeze a couple extra in at the end and jam that lid down and wrap tape around 5 times.. then quickly checkout before the lid pops off!!. i used to get 1-2 every Friday... it was always exciting going to a different store and seeing if they got any cool new pieces in!! ahhh... those were the days!
I’ve never used the pick a brick wall. Are all pieces the same price? How much is a cup?

Thanks
Dec 29, 2007
182 posts
133 upvotes
Montreal
croyd wrote: I’ve never used the pick a brick wall. Are all pieces the same price? How much is a cup?

Thanks
I think it’s 12 for a small cup or 20 for a large cup. During COVID, they have a big baseplate with all the available parts on it and you can point and say I want a few of those or a half a scoop of that or a full scoop of that. Kind of like when you scoop nuts at a grocery store. They don’t give you exact amount of parts.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2008
1830 posts
673 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
croyd wrote: I’ve never used the pick a brick wall. Are all pieces the same price? How much is a cup?

Thanks
small cup is $12, big cup is $20 (i think it’s more that 2x volume)... each store has a wall of different pieces... the three toronto stores usually have similar pieces but sometimes you will find differences...

If you have time you can creatively stack the pieces and fill the cups in a certain way to max out on how much you can get into one cup... for me it wasn’t so much about money savings, it was more of the fun aspect of it... trying to see how much a could fit into one cup...

The stores usually restocked on Friday so i would go after work and get 1-2 cups and “Moc it up” on the weekends....

this is all pre-covid...

once covid hit, the only way to get PAB in toronto was to ask the employees to fill the cup for you (just scooping, no stacking) and they kinda stopped with the weekly new piece wall updates since they didn’t sell as many cups anymore... I haven’t got a cup since Feb 2020...

From looking at Bricksie’s videos it looks like other lego stores in canada are still letting customers reach their un-gloved hands into the bins and fill their own cups...

As soon as they open again and let customers fill their own cups I will be there filling cups like the good ol’ days... but i don’t expect that to be any time soon...
Oct 14, 2020
806 posts
329 upvotes
Ralphael wrote: After spending the day searching for worthwhile usage of the FLASHSALE20 at ToysRUS I found one lego set Super Heroes Avengers Tower Battle 76166 and it is on sale for $101.97 and works with FLASHSALE20 further reducing the price down to $82.97 making it about 31% savings. The nice thing about this set is the very nice tower looks of which you don't have to use it as the Avengers tower and instead turn it into a hi-rise condo for your sims which is what I am planning to do. I might even create a floor for arcades, toy shop and so on. I'll see... I bought two for just in case.

If you are on the fence here is a Jangbricks video "Good for display OR play: LEGO Marvel Avengers Tower Battle review! 76166"

Good price, great for parts, great for a hi-rise condo, great avengers tower!

p.s. if you are buying it, remember to type in the FLASHSALE20 in the "Enter Promotional Code" box to get your $20 off
You're the devil - my fingers were itchy the entire morning contemplating whether to do this. I ended up buying 5 towers and the armor hall since they both were on discount and i could apply the codes. Had them all shipped home just in case so i didn't set off any alarms through instore pickup.
kevkwan wrote: Haha, funny that you mentioned it right now. I just ordered another tower and the hall of armor. Only missing the smaller set and one tower for the full MOC build. I'll leave to later or maybe return one of the tower build. Don't you ever sleep? It's like 5:45am where you are..? :D
I reviewed the MOC instructions - shouldn't be too bad to build since we have the piece list and rotatable 3d picture of the tower. I'm sure we will keep posting here as we as we make our MOC attempts. One of the things i do want to implement is something for the Quinjet but its so massive that i don't think its feasible...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2008
1830 posts
673 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Chubnyah wrote: You're the devil - my fingers were itchy the entire morning contemplating whether to do this. I ended up buying 5 towers and the armor hall since they both were on discount and i could apply the codes. Had them all shipped home just in case so i didn't set off any alarms through instore pickup.

I reviewed the MOC instructions - shouldn't be too bad to build since we have the piece list and rotatable 3d picture of the tower. I'm sure we will keep posting here as we as we make our MOC attempts. One of the things i do want to implement is something for the Quinjet but its so massive that i don't think its feasible...
Oh how you tempt me!! I actually never saw any of the avengers movies so it is easy to pass on this but it is a really cool moc and will look awesome so i’m excited to see how it looks in everyone’s cities!
Oct 14, 2020
806 posts
329 upvotes
priceman wrote: Oh how you tempt me!! I actually never saw any of the avengers movies so it is easy to pass on this but it is a really cool moc and will look awesome so i’m excited to see how it looks in everyone’s cities!
It was Ralph's fault for finding this out first.. the discount is really nice and anything over 30% from MSRP is pretty much a buy in my books.

Also, being a marvel fan, this was a bit hard to resist, although the total cost at this point for this project and looking at it from a dollar to brick ratio is a bit disturbing lol
Dec 17, 2019
228 posts
157 upvotes
Chubnyah wrote: It was Ralph's fault for finding this out first.. the discount is really nice and anything over 30% from MSRP is pretty much a buy in my books.

Also, being a marvel fan, this was a bit hard to resist, although the total cost at this point for this project and looking at it from a dollar to brick ratio is a bit disturbing lol
Just to give credit where credit is due - @canonpipes posted it first yesterday!

I was getting frustrated I couldn't find anything to use the FLASHSALE20 on, and then saw his post and got two. Now you made me buy one more :-)
Just hoping ToysRus won't decide those towers are too hot and not ship.

The price per piece put me off at first too. But like someone mentioned, you get some pretty big pieces, it's not like they are 1x1's!
canonpipes wrote: I picked up 76125 (Iron Man Hall of Armor) for $68 before the code. Didn't want to pay for shipping so got some other non-Lego stuff (including a retro carded Dr Doom) to use the FLASHSALE20 code. I tried 76166 (Avengers Tower Battle) using the code and it seems eligible as well (regular price $120 minus 15% on sale, so $102. Used FLASHSALE20 to bring it down $82 then add 13% tax to bring it to $93 all in).
Last edited by Legoholic on Jan 23rd, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2008
1830 posts
673 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Chubnyah wrote: It was Ralph's fault for finding this out first.. the discount is really nice and anything over 30% from MSRP is pretty much a buy in my books.

This is my new thing... now that you all got me hooked on these big modular type sets i’m constantly comparing my purchases to modulars... ie. if this tower requires 7 sets then you are in the $500 plus range... right? compare that to the cost of say, Diagon Alley or even a retired modular on ebay/kijiji
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2011
1102 posts
1985 upvotes
Vancouver
Legoholic wrote: Just to give credit where credit is due - @canonpipes posted it first yesterday!

@canonpipes wrote:
I picked up 76125 (Iron Man Hall of Armor) for $68 before the code. Didn't want to pay for shipping so got some other non-Lego stuff (including a retro carded Dr Doom) to use the FLASHSALE20 code. I tried 76166 (Avengers Tower Battle) using the code and it seems eligible as well (regular price $120 minus 15% on sale, so $102. Used FLASHSALE20 to bring it down $82 then add 13% tax to bring it to $93 all in).

I was getting frustrated I couldn't find anything to use the FLASHSALE20 on, and then saw his post and got two. Now you made me buy one more :-)
Just hoping ToysRus won't decide those towers are too hot and not ship.

The price per piece put me off at first too. But like someone mentioned, you get some pretty big pieces, it's not like they are 1x1's!
ahhhh.... I am so sorry I didn't read @canonpipes whole post, I just saw that it works with .97 (actually I skimmed it to find " $120 minus 15% on sale, so $102. Used FLASHSALE20") so off I went searching for something to buy with my 10% R Club savings and FLASHSALE20. My 10% R Club was expiring.

So lets do give credit where credit is due!

If it wasn't @canonpipes finding that it works on .97 I would not have been searching for .97 items to buy and If it wasn't for @Legoholic for finding the Tower MOC, none of us would be knee deep in Avenger Towers!

and sorry @canonpipes again, I didn't realize that you found the Avengers Tower in your post, so good job! now look what you have done!
Last edited by Ralphael on Jan 23rd, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 5, 2006
453 posts
477 upvotes
Vancouver
priceman wrote:
I’ve been thinking long term collecting... i’m worried that if i try to get every set from a theme then how many sets will i accumulate in 2 years time... 5 years time... 10 years?? better to start to be selective now...
This is definitely something that must be considered with collecting Lego unless you live in a warehouse. I got back into Lego in a big way in 2005 when I came across the Star Wars sets at Toys R Us. At the start, space wasn't a concern, but now almost 16 years later, it adds up to many cubic meters! Fortunately I'm not into some themes like superheroes, but Lego continues to produce far too many interesting sets. I started being more selective years ago, but even that multiplied by many years is a lot of sets. The bulk of my collection is original trilogy Star Wars, Harry Potter, City/modulars, trains, Jurassic World and Castle. It's easy to be more selective with Star Wars and City as most of the smaller sets are now updates of older models. But the killer for my storage space is Lego continually releasing large sets like the Tree House and Pirates of Barracuda Bay and now the Medieval Blacksmith. I just can't say no to those!
Oct 10, 2006
464 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto

Well, just think how your regular minifigures will now marvel (no punk intended) over this tall building. Also, your minifigures will now feel protected knowing that the Avengers are there to protect them, even from Darth Vader, Kylo Ren and the Knights of Ren. :)
Oct 14, 2020
806 posts
329 upvotes
priceman wrote: This is my new thing... now that you all got me hooked on these big modular type sets i’m constantly comparing my purchases to modulars... ie. if this tower requires 7 sets then you are in the $500 plus range... right? compare that to the cost of say, Diagon Alley or even a retired modular on ebay/kijiji
Yeah, the cost from that standpoint is quite disturbing to think that my purchases equates to this being much more expensive than diagon alley or even hogwarts castle. That being said, i'll have some spare parts which i can MOC something else, spare minifigs which i will likely sell to reduce the cost further and as some have pointed out, the pieces in this set is pretty nice and not majority inflated through 1x1 pieces.

I'm starting to "ignore" piece count really because of the inflated number through 1x1 pieces mainly. Its somewhat annoying as you start building the larger stuff and realize they could have used a taller 1x1 vs given you 3 of the smaller ones to combine instead but thats a topic for another day.
Ralphael wrote: ahhhh.... I am so sorry I didn't read @canonpipes whole post, I just saw that it works with .97 (actually I skimmed it to find " $120 minus 15% on sale, so $102. Used FLASHSALE20") so off I went searching for something to buy with my 10% R Club savings and FLASHSALE20. My 10% R Club was expiring.

So lets do give credit where credit is due!

If it wasn't @canonpipes finding that it works on .97 I would not have been searching for .97 items to buy and If it wasn't for @Legoholic for finding the Tower MOC, none of us would be knee deep in Avenger Towers!

and sorry @canonpipes again, I didn't realize that you found the Avengers Tower in your post, so good job! now look what you have done!
Canonpipes gets credit for the deal for sure - i "blame" Ralph for the rest lol
pbb99 wrote: This is definitely something that must be considered with collecting Lego unless you live in a warehouse. I got back into Lego in a big way in 2005 when I came across the Star Wars sets at Toys R Us. At the start, space wasn't a concern, but now almost 16 years later, it adds up to many cubic meters! Fortunately I'm not into some themes like superheroes, but Lego continues to produce far too many interesting sets. I started being more selective years ago, but even that multiplied by many years is a lot of sets. The bulk of my collection is original trilogy Star Wars, Harry Potter, City/modulars, trains, Jurassic World and Castle. It's easy to be more selective with Star Wars and City as most of the smaller sets are now updates of older models. But the killer for my storage space is Lego continually releasing large sets like the Tree House and Pirates of Barracuda Bay and now the Medieval Blacksmith. I just can't say no to those!
I need to do the same and start becoming more selective. I'm also debating selling some of the lesser desired sets right now like the Y-Wing which just looks plain ugly. We will see....
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2008
1830 posts
673 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Chubnyah wrote: Yeah, the cost from that standpoint is quite disturbing to think that my purchases equates to this being much more expensive than diagon alley or even hogwarts castle. That being said, i'll have some spare parts which i can MOC something else, spare minifigs which i will likely sell to reduce the cost further and as some have pointed out, the pieces in this set is pretty nice and not majority inflated through 1x1 pieces.

I'm starting to "ignore" piece count really because of the inflated number through 1x1 pieces mainly. Its somewhat annoying as you start building the larger stuff and realize they could have used a taller 1x1 vs given you 3 of the smaller ones to combine instead but thats a topic for another day.

Canonpipes gets credit for the deal for sure - i "blame" Ralph for the rest lol

I need to do the same and start becoming more selective. I'm also debating selling some of the lesser desired sets right now like the Y-Wing which just looks plain ugly. We will see....
As soon as the stay at home order is over i’m going to slowly start selling off some of my collection... need to downsize big time... need to make space (and funds) for all these big modulars!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1555 posts
659 upvotes
Ottawa
oooeeeooo wrote: When stores were open in Ontario, I noticed Shoppers Drug Mart had some small sized lego sets. Have any of you seen a Shoppers with medium to large sized lego sets? I have some Optimum points I'd like to use.
I have only ever seen very small sets brought in for Christmas. The biggest "set" I ever saw was the Lego Movie 2 Duplo set, otherwise nothing over $20.

Bigger Loblaws/RCSS have sets up to ~$50, but you lose bonus redemption. The can also have good clearance post holidays, but nothing I have seen this year.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2008
1830 posts
673 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
mabba18 wrote: I have only ever seen very small sets brought in for Christmas. The biggest "set" I ever saw was the Lego Movie 2 Duplo set, otherwise nothing over $20.

Bigger Loblaws/RCSS have sets up to ~$50, but you lose bonus redemption. The can also have good clearance post holidays, but nothing I have seen this year.
Two years ago several RCSS locations had sets up to $150... many large Harry Potter, large Star Wars, Large Jurassic park sets... huge selections... massive clearance sales and bonus points offers on toys too... i bought TONS and got 50-80% off most sets... last year nada... this year, they had the same old stock from last year... no sales either...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2008
1830 posts
673 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Any predictions for Feb GWP??

Calendar “should” come out Monday afternoon...

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 3 guests)

cross, Hamann