• Mar 6th, 2009 4:24 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2003
1095 posts
44 upvotes
GTA
TenzoR wrote: Nope, I got the 190CXPRO4 :)
BUMP!

Hey TenzoR, I was wondering where you got your 190CXPRO4, I'm in the market for a tripod and I wanted to get this right (I've been living off $20-$40 samsonite tripods from wal-mart for my D200 LOL) How do you like your CXPRO4. I was at vistek recently and saw it for $389, how much did you get yours for if you dont mind me asking.

Thanks

Note: $400 for legs only makes me cry, but after seeing my friend use a $30 velbon travel series and almost drop his Canon 40D and 17-55mm L lens cause it couldn't handle it makes me worry about lighter/cheaper tripod legs.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7174 posts
217 upvotes
Nepean
isom3tric wrote: BUMP!

Hey TenzoR, I was wondering where you got your 190CXPRO4, I'm in the market for a tripod and I wanted to get this right (I've been living off $20-$40 samsonite tripods from wal-mart for my D200 LOL) How do you like your CXPRO4. I was at vistek recently and saw it for $389, how much did you get yours for if you dont mind me asking.

Thanks

Note: $400 for legs only makes me cry, but after seeing my friend use a $30 velbon travel series and almost drop his Canon 40D and 17-55mm L lens cause it couldn't handle it makes me worry about lighter/cheaper tripod legs.
I got my 190CXPRO4 from McBain camera in Calgary. You save money on tax and the 2-3 xpresspost shipping is only $10. I believe I priced match Vistek.

I've only used it on a couple occasion since I got it and I quite like it over my old one. The legs were really tight when you first get it but after a couple usage it loosen up and slides out much easier. The flip lock stays tight but they did include a key to tighten it. The only thing I'm slightly annoyed is that the level spirit was slightly off when I put the tripod on a flat service. It was still in the center circle but just not dead center (perhaps my floor is not completely flat?). Another thing I didn't like was this little piece of plastic that pops out easily. From what I can tell, it's used to help level the center column while it's at the horizontal position and it helps separating the center column lock when you loosen it. On several occasional I've seen it popped out. I'll have more things to say about after I get back from my summer vacation ;)
Dec 18, 2006
840 posts
110 upvotes
Richmond Hill
My current kit is a D80, 18-200, 50 1.8, and SB600 and I'm really just starting out. I don't think I need much in terms of support, but I got a little scared after reading that bythom article....I'm mainly looking for something that I can use casually to take self-portraits of myself and family so portability/weight is not as much an issue. Stability and value are more important--i don't want my gear crashing down. Any suggestions from you pro users?

How are these?
http://blackphotostore.com/english/prod ... p?sku=5798
http://blackphotostore.com/english/prod ... p?sku=2018
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7174 posts
217 upvotes
Nepean
looniepincher wrote: My current kit is a D80, 18-200, 50 1.8, and SB600 and I'm really just starting out. I don't think I need much in terms of support, but I got a little scared after reading that bythom article....I'm mainly looking for something that I can use casually to take self-portraits of myself and family so portability/weight is not as much an issue. Stability and value are more important--i don't want my gear crashing down. Any suggestions from you pro users?

How are these?
http://blackphotostore.com/english/prod ... p?sku=5798
http://blackphotostore.com/english/prod ... p?sku=2018
I'm using nearly the same equipment as you (D50, 18-300, 50 1.4 and SB600). If you don't mind the heavier weight, the Aluminum Manfrotto 190 supports even more weight than the Carbon version not to mention a whole lot cheaper.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7174 posts
217 upvotes
Nepean
looniepincher wrote: you mean this one, right?

http://www.thecamerastore.com/ProductDe ... ctID=32531

What's the difference between the 190x and 055x? Should I replace the ballhead with the 486RC2 and just buy the kit?

http://www.thecamerastore.com/ProductDe ... ctID=31535
The 190 series are the lighter duty tripods, good for traveling because of their lighter weight. The 055 series are built to with stand more weight but at the cost of addition weight.

As for the ballhead, it's up to you. Try it out.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2003
1095 posts
44 upvotes
GTA
I'm not getting the 190cxpro3/4 anymore. My friends went to hong kong and I'm going to get that same combo that someone mentioned earlier in this thread, its the Benro C-169 Angel Travel Series legs (i think), and a ball head.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
isom3tric wrote: I'm not getting the 190cxpro3/4 anymore. My friends went to hong kong and I'm going to get that same combo that someone mentioned earlier in this thread, its the Benro C-169 Angel Travel Series legs (i think), and a ball head.
How much and were did he get it from?
Dec 18, 2006
840 posts
110 upvotes
Richmond Hill
went to Black's today to see the Manfrotto 728B.

Although it says it's made for compact cameras it has the load rating for SLR's....anyone know anything about this model?
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2003
1095 posts
44 upvotes
GTA
craftsman wrote: How much and were did he get it from?
SENSEI wrote: C-169 M8...The Travel Angel Series

Picked up the legs and head in HK last year for under $300CAD...
More info on pg. 2 on this thread
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
isom3tric wrote: More info on pg. 2 on this thread
I was actually looking for an updated price since Sensei got his a year or so ago...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5264 posts
125 upvotes
Nepean
update from the dead...

prior statements regarding the benro ball heads were based on twebster reviews. Most of which have been followed up by independent reviews from other users of the same product, as mentioned before the qc has changed.

Now is 2009, there are new products available such as the B and J series from benro (ball heads).

I found an interesting review written in german.
http://www.traumflieger.de/desktop/ball ... lheads.php
heatware available upon request
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
^ Um so is the concensus on the ball head favorable now (although I think I am still going with the Manfrotto)?
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2004
1117 posts
62 upvotes
i vote for RRS, is that an option?
** BUY MY STUFF!! **
nothing to buy right now!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5264 posts
125 upvotes
Nepean
Asad_A203 wrote: ^ Um so is the concensus on the ball head favorable now (although I think I am still going with the Manfrotto)?
No, theres still no concensus, but I should be ordering a J-2 ball head within the next few days.. Probably take around 2weeks to arrive
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5264 posts
125 upvotes
Nepean
djmr2 wrote: i vote for RRS, is that an option?
As long as that RRS comes with a money tree.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2004
1117 posts
62 upvotes
i changed my mind, no more RRS for me. M10 ALL THE WAY! :P

but seriously i'm on my way to china in 2 weeks so i'll be sure to bring back some benro for all of my friends here.
** BUY MY STUFF!! **
nothing to buy right now!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5264 posts
125 upvotes
Nepean
Just in case you guys were wondering... I ended up with a Manfrotto 486RC2. It needs some serious wrenching to tighten up enough for me to use it. It's pretty bare bones...

I controls panning and ball movement using 1 lever, and that's it... The ballhead feels solid, and is made of metal, weighing in at just over 1lb. It's not a bad ball head. I noticed the ball head size was larger than the 488RC2, so I chose the 486 over the 488 for that reason. Price was cheaper too, $80+tax.

I would say that I would prefer a ball head that locks with less tightening, and if I had a drag control, that would be sweet. At diagonal loads with about 5lbs worth of gear...it sags a bit even at a 180degrees worth of tightening, but you can just remedy it by tightening it more to lock it in place... The most I loaded onto this ballhead was a D300 + 70-200 f/2.8 + SB-800 using the lens mount. I tried mounting it on the body..... and thats what caused the droop., but if you mount it using the lens, theres no droop at all, which is quite impressive. I think the 486RC2 is rated for 15lbs or so.

I ended up with Manfrotto cause I just wanted peace of mind... However the RC2 quick release system doesn't really give me a peace of mind with the way its constructed. It's a clamping system with an additional lock to prevent any uneventful drops of your camera, if you suddenly released the clamp, the lock would prevent it from fully releasing. It's a good system, but the metal used to make it is piss poor ..(pot metal)..

I still long for something better... drag control in my opinion would be essential for accuracy when doing things like leveling, as well as a separated panning base, and a more sturdy quick release system would be nice... Might end up returning this 486...