Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 20, 2009
171 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto

Leica M9-P Digital Rangefinder—Merkle v.s Vistek

I'm looking to purchase the M9-P and need some help deciding which store to purchase this from. Has anybody ever had experience making a purchase at Vistek?

I purchased a D-Lux 4 some years ago at Merkle and found their service to be a little pushy and too salesmen-y. I was never offered any extra service and quite frankly, now that I'm making a bigger purchase, I need to know that the retailer is not simply trying to push a camera on me without considering its needs post-purchase (camera calibration, lens selections, wait times).

Another dilemma is this—Merkle (http://merklecamera.com/spec_sheet.html ... cf30bab63e) is selling the camera $500 less than Vistek (http://www.vistek.ca/store/DigitalSLRs/ ... -body.aspx) making Merkle much more enticing. However, my past experience with Merkle have been subpar.

Past Vistek/Merkle customers, any advice?

I know this post has troll-magnet written all over it. So, PLEASE keep this thread on topic (Merkle/Vistek customer service).

Thank you ;)
23 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 14, 2005
18179 posts
344 upvotes
Richmond
:arrow:

Moved from "Computers & Electronics" to "Art and Photography"
Congrats to the Arsenal Ladies - The FA Women's Cup Winners 2013 :)
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1730 posts
259 upvotes
dunno if buying m9p makes most sense now that m10 is around the corner... at the same time i don't think the store matters most these days for leica since leica passport is quite good.
Wedding & Child Photographer ~ happily photographing
May 1, 2009
59 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
To my experience, Henry>Merkle>Vistek
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2873 posts
636 upvotes
msmbb wrote:
Aug 17th, 2012 3:17 am
To my experience, Henry>Merkle>Vistek
Vistek...I've had great service.....depending which sales person you keep a relationship with. I've had great experience with William (his last name slips my mind.....but the chinese dude on 2nd floor).

Henry's can be hit or miss, but I only deal with friends who work there....so i get awesome service :)
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4301 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto
Go to Merkle and ask for Patrick. I find he provides great service.
Board games!!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3038 posts
363 upvotes
I think that's one camera item that should have some room to negotiate price on.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
[OP]
Oct 20, 2009
171 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
inzite wrote:
Aug 16th, 2012 7:20 pm
dunno if buying m9p makes most sense now that m10 is around the corner... at the same time i don't think the store matters most these days for leica since leica passport is quite good.
Thought about that as well. I definitely won't be buying in the next month. I'll wait until after the Photokina announcement. However, I have a sinking feeling the camera will be priced higher than the M9. And at this rate, the M9 is already a push.
bhrm wrote:
Aug 17th, 2012 10:08 am
Vistek...I've had great service.....depending which sales person you keep a relationship with. I've had great experience with William (his last name slips my mind.....but the chinese dude on 2nd floor).

Henry's can be hit or miss, but I only deal with friends who work there....so i get awesome service :)
Thanks! Is this is the Vistek located in Mississauga or downtown? I might've chosen Henry's..but they don't carry the M9 or M9-P.
projectmoonlightcafe wrote:
Aug 17th, 2012 10:10 am
Go to Merkle and ask for Patrick. I find he provides great service.
Thanks. Merkle seems like a smaller, more catered-to-your-needs kind of place. I some friends who prefer Merkle. But that hasn't been my experience. Perhaps because I'm a girl? :\
neltron3030 wrote:
Aug 17th, 2012 10:55 am
I think that's one camera item that should have some room to negotiate price on.
I agree...Now is the time to learn to negotiate pricing!
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1730 posts
259 upvotes
viss wrote:
Aug 17th, 2012 3:45 pm
Thought about that as well. I definitely won't be buying in the next month. I'll wait until after the Photokina announcement. However, I have a sinking feeling the camera will be priced higher than the M9. And at this rate, the M9 is already a push.

I think if all you want is a ff in a small rf body, the current m9 or m9p will fit the bill quite well at current market going prices or 2nd hand prices. M10 probably be over 8k closer to 9k.. Have you shot RF before?
[OP]
Oct 20, 2009
171 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
inzite wrote:
Aug 17th, 2012 4:30 pm
I think if all you want is a ff in a small rf body, the current m9 or m9p will fit the bill quite well at current market going prices or 2nd hand prices. M10 probably be over 8k closer to 9k.. Have you shot RF before?
To be honest, I've never tried a rangefinder before. The closest I've ever used to a rangefinder is the Mamiya ZM (I know, its not a rangefinder!). Having said that, I've enjoyed using the Mamiya ZM the most among a Sony p&s I once owned and my D-Lux 4.

I've been looking at second hand M9s and M9 Ps however—servicing. I'm not quite sure where I can take it to to get it serviced if I ever need to.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1730 posts
259 upvotes
viss wrote:
Aug 17th, 2012 4:53 pm
To be honest, I've never tried a rangefinder before. The closest I've ever used to a rangefinder is the Mamiya ZM (I know, its not a rangefinder!). Having said that, I've enjoyed using the Mamiya ZM the most among a Sony p&s I once owned and my D-Lux 4.

I've been looking at second hand M9s and M9 Ps however—servicing. I'm not quite sure where I can take it to to get it serviced if I ever need to.
I think you should try shooting rf before putting down the money for an m9/p.
[OP]
Oct 20, 2009
171 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
inzite wrote:
Aug 17th, 2012 5:19 pm
I think you should try shooting rf before putting down the money for an m9/p.
Good thinking. Do you know of any places I can go to to rent rangefinders?

I've called Vistek—says they only do Canon and Nikon rentals.
Jan 6, 2008
434 posts
46 upvotes
if you shoot ultra-wide or tele-photo, you may not find the lens you want available for the price you want to pay. and altho i don't have an M9, focussing with a telephoto will be difficult. if you mainly shoot street, then it'll be the best. you will need a good dslr for the difficult shots. when you say $500 is a go/no go, i wonder if you can afford this? i would use it as a second camera if i were rich. first would be a Ff dslr to capture everything. the rf would be for fun. what's your purpose?
[OP]
Oct 20, 2009
171 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
pessamystic wrote:
Aug 17th, 2012 5:40 pm
if you shoot ultra-wide or tele-photo, you may not find the lens you want available for the price you want to pay. and altho i don't have an M9, focussing with a telephoto will be difficult. if you mainly shoot street, then it'll be the best. you will need a good dslr for the difficult shots. when you say $500 is a go/no go, i wonder if you can afford this? i would use it as a second camera if i were rich. first would be a Ff dslr to capture everything. the rf would be for fun. what's your purpose?
Firstly, I think money is money, no matter how much the actual item is. $500 can buy you SD cards, cases, batteries, and filters.

To answer your question about usage, I would be using it in my outdoor travels. Whenever I travel, I have to hike. When I do hike, I have to carry water, snacks and some equipment. Note, I am a petite girl. So you have to understand that it's not possible for me to carry a D800 with a set of lens on a hike (short or long). I thought my D-Lux 4 would be perfect for this, unfortunately, I had to learn the hard way that I don't like setting ISO and white balance (D-lux 4 needs major help) on a screen while there's a deer looking for the quickest route to safety (true story). Long story short—I can't stand those little dials on the D-Lux 4. I would much rather go back to using the Mamiya....if it wasn't so heavy and a film camera.

Lens wise, I've been reading up on good alternative lenses. And Voigtlander and Zeiss seem to be great alternatives among current M9 users.