• Aug 25th, 2012 12:33 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5017 posts
545 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
If you do largely landscapes and people shots, you may get along well with a rangefinder. But animals or kids will be a difficult learning experience.
Why not buy a good film rangefinder on eBay, such as a Yashica Lynx? As a trainer, or intro to Leica. After one road trip you will know if the genre suits you.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1711 posts
239 upvotes
viss wrote:
Aug 17th, 2012 6:06 pm
Firstly, I think money is money, no matter how much the actual item is. $500 can buy you SD cards, cases, batteries, and filters.

To answer your question about usage, I would be using it in my outdoor travels. Whenever I travel, I have to hike. When I do hike, I have to carry water, snacks and some equipment. Note, I am a petite girl. So you have to understand that it's not possible for me to carry a D800 with a set of lens on a hike (short or long). I thought my D-Lux 4 would be perfect for this, unfortunately, I had to learn the hard way that I don't like setting ISO and white balance (D-lux 4 needs major help) on a screen while there's a deer looking for the quickest route to safety (true story). Long story short—I can't stand those little dials on the D-Lux 4. I would much rather go back to using the Mamiya....if it wasn't so heavy and a film camera.
Lens wise, I've been reading up on good alternative lenses. And Voigtlander and Zeiss seem to be great alternatives among current M9 users.
setting iso, white balence on the m9 isn't exactly quick as it still requires going into the menu screens. I think for your shooting, an OMD would be excellent. and yes i shoot an m9 as well.
Wedding & Child Photographer ~ happily photographing
Feb 9, 2008
332 posts
20 upvotes
Hi there.

You live in Mississauga and want to come all the way across the city to go to Merkle? I guess if the price is right why not! (although I'm sure stores in your area would price match Merkle)

I actually live just around the corner from Merkle and have spent way to much money there over the years! I deal with Steve - good guy and gives me awesome service (plus a nice discount on everything as I'm a regular customer :) ) I'm actually popping in there again tomorrow for a quick visit.

My friend has the M-9..great camera and all but frankly - I can't believe I'm admitting this publicly for fear of a lynching! lol! - I've never loved rangefinders. I know they have a cult-like following, etc. but I've just never connected with them - especially not as comfortable in the hand (at least mine) as my Nikon DSLRs. I think for the price of an M-9 one should definitely love rangefinders. :)
[QUOTE]"Yes, some people claim to enjoy exercise. But then, some people claim to have been abducted by aliens too."[/QUOTE]
[OP]
Oct 20, 2009
171 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
jayt90 wrote:
Aug 17th, 2012 7:03 pm
If you do largely landscapes and people shots, you may get along well with a rangefinder. But animals or kids will be a difficult learning experience.
Why not buy a good film rangefinder on eBay, such as a Yashica Lynx? As a trainer, or intro to Leica. After one road trip you will know if the genre suits you.
Wow, great thanks. I couldn't find any Leica rentals in Toronto. This just might do. Thank you :)
inzite wrote:
Aug 17th, 2012 7:34 pm
setting iso, white balence on the m9 isn't exactly quick as it still requires going into the menu screens. I think for your shooting, an OMD would be excellent. and yes i shoot an m9 as well.
Have you fiddled with the Leica D-Lux/Panasonic LX camera menues? Getting to the ISO menu takes over 5 clicks in manual mode. And even then, the camera refuses to use it at what you set it at. It's got a life of its own! By OMD you are referring to the Olympus correct? I will add that to my comparison list, thanks!

You own an M9? Can you tell me a little bit about your experience with it? Are you selling? :p
bluenoser23 wrote:
Aug 17th, 2012 10:40 pm
Hi there.

You live in Mississauga and want to come all the way across the city to go to Merkle? I guess if the price is right why not! (although I'm sure stores in your area would price match Merkle)

I actually live just around the corner from Merkle and have spent way to much money there over the years! I deal with Steve - good guy and gives me awesome service (plus a nice discount on everything as I'm a regular customer :) ) I'm actually popping in there again tomorrow for a quick visit.

My friend has the M-9..great camera and all but frankly - I can't believe I'm admitting this publicly for fear of a lynching! lol! - I've never loved rangefinders. I know they have a cult-like following, etc. but I've just never connected with them - especially not as comfortable in the hand (at least mine) as my Nikon DSLRs. I think for the price of an M-9 one should definitely love rangefinders. :)
My mistake, I now live in Markham. I have yet to change my location :p Last time I went to Merkle I also dealt with Steve. He's a funny guy. But I don't believe him when he told me he sold 15 M9s in one month! I know how fast cameras move, even DSLRs and they do not move at 15/month! Especially a camera at the price.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1711 posts
239 upvotes
viss wrote:
Aug 20th, 2012 2:51 pm
Have you fiddled with the Leica D-Lux/Panasonic LX camera menues? Getting to the ISO menu takes over 5 clicks in manual mode. And even then, the camera refuses to use it at what you set it at. It's got a life of its own! By OMD you are referring to the Olympus correct? I will add that to my comparison list, thanks!

You own an M9? Can you tell me a little bit about your experience with it? Are you selling? :p
Ooo no, I don't own any d-lux or LX series small cams but I can imagine changing some settings won't be as easy as a pro body dslr. For the M9, you can just click the iso button and just the scroll wheel or the d-pad to choose your iso, however it does require you to move your eye off the view finder. For my dslr, I can just do the same without leaving the viewfinder and it will actually display the info in the viewfinder. Unless you are really used to shooting film where your iso stays fix and you make your adjustments around that, shooting the M9 will be more work than shooting a dslr or a body like the OMD.

Yeah I own a m9, I think there are a few more m9 users on this board. For my type of shooting the M9 fits the bill quite well as it's a smaller body to carry around. The first hurdle is to get used to focusing with the dead center RF patch which can white out in heavy back lit situation and also the inaccurate frame lines, slower operation and absolutely terrible LCD by today's standards. More or less I can shoot the same things with same hit rate compared with my D3 or 1Dmark3 provided the subject doesn't move erratically. I find the biggest reward of shooting the M9 is some of the M-mount lens that I can use, specially the 50 summilux asph, hands down perhaps the best prime lens I ever used, even when comparing to my 200 F2.

Shooting range finder has quite abit of a learning curve, I find it strange after shooting dslr for majority of my shooting experience. The OMD would most likely be what would suit you more.

This link would show you most of my m9 shots on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?cm=leica% ... oto&m=text
Wedding & Child Photographer ~ happily photographing
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3027 posts
339 upvotes
jayt90 wrote:
Aug 17th, 2012 7:03 pm
I love shooting rangefinder style. I started with a Minolta Hi-Matic and Yashica electro 35 but advanced to my current Voigtlander Bessa R4A, which is pretty much a poor man's film Leica. For less than $100 you can get a very nice old school rangefinder camera that will take some excellent film shots for you.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Jan 6, 2008
434 posts
46 upvotes
The OP was discussing shooting while hiking. i tend to think the "changing iso" was a mis-speak. in those changing light condition auto-iso and aperture mode would give you the best chance of getting keepers from grab shots. a quick read says to me that the m9 is approx as good as the nikon d700 which is very good indeed. no longer head of the class but plenty good for the woods. but carrying a $7000 to $8000 camera while hiking seems beyond understanding. even if i were rich i wouldn't. i'd carry a super-zoom and that would be enough. but each to their own.
[OP]
Oct 20, 2009
171 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
pessamystic wrote:
Aug 20th, 2012 9:36 pm
The OP was discussing shooting while hiking. i tend to think the "changing iso" was a mis-speak. in those changing light condition auto-iso and aperture mode would give you the best chance of getting keepers from grab shots. a quick read says to me that the m9 is approx as good as the nikon d700 which is very good indeed. no longer head of the class but plenty good for the woods. but carrying a $7000 to $8000 camera while hiking seems beyond understanding. even if i were rich i wouldn't. i'd carry a super-zoom and that would be enough. but each to their own.
I'll try that when I go on hikes, thanks. I sometimes take photos of my pets, so my indoor pictures look extremely grainy. I wouldn't mind taking it outdoors. I don't baby my gadgets, so I wouldn't baby this either. They're meant to be used right? :)
neltron3030 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2012 6:27 pm
I love shooting rangefinder style. I started with a Minolta Hi-Matic and Yashica electro 35 but advanced to my current Voigtlander Bessa R4A, which is pretty much a poor man's film Leica. For less than $100 you can get a very nice old school rangefinder camera that will take some excellent film shots for you.
Thanks Neltron. I've been watching some Yashicas on eBay :)
Jul 11, 2012
128 posts
2 upvotes
TORONTO
Try to use price match option. FInd store with best service and return policy and ask for a price match. most stores do that. you will get best price and best service