None
[OP]
Aug 18, 2015
43 posts
8 upvotes
Richmond, BC

Lending your car to car rental companies

Hi Guys,

I have a 1 year old chevy camaro which i rarely drive and wish to lease it to a rental company. What are your thoughts about it? Could it be done?

Thanks!
11 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25726 posts
10769 upvotes
Toronto
Selling it would be a much smarter choice.

Think about how your insurance company is going to deal with your coverage. It will be cancelled as car is being used commercially.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1896 posts
673 upvotes
Kitchener
Rental companies don't rent cars from people, they get huge fleet discounts from manufacturers directly and ensure that they have models they can quickly liquidate at auction within the first 24 months. Then they repeat
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8366 posts
2234 upvotes
Mississauga
addictivemate wrote: Hi Guys,

I have a 1 year old chevy camaro which i rarely drive and wish to lease it to a rental company. What are your thoughts about it? Could it be done?

Thanks!
Have you seen what renters do to rental cars? Not a good idea. Sell the car and when you get the itch to drive one rent it.
Apr 17, 2015
493 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I doubt a large scale rental company would want to deal with the hassle of using your vehicle. Rental companies get HUGE fleet discounts from dealers and manufactures themselves.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8190 posts
1851 upvotes
Rentals cos wouldnt do that

In the USA there are a number of peer to peer car sharing services. The largest Turo has said they'd like to come to Canada if insurance changes are made to allow it. Communauto had announced they had insurance and it would be starting in QC, then deleted all mention of it from their site
[OP]
Aug 18, 2015
43 posts
8 upvotes
Richmond, BC
Gorillaa wrote: is this a joke?
No this is not a joke. This was something I was actually thinking as I barely use that car. Now that I have a clear understanding from the responses in the forum, I would not consider leasing it out to another company even if it was possible. I guess that is what this forum is for, to clear any doubts and ask questions. Thanks!
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4246 posts
4735 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Can I rent your car for a spin? I promise to bring it back with slick tires. Will use it for drawing some big "circles" at the local mall parking lot.
May 18, 2008
743 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
addictivemate wrote: No this is not a joke. This was something I was actually thinking as I barely use that car. Now that I have a clear understanding from the responses in the forum, I would not consider leasing it out to another company even if it was possible. I guess that is what this forum is for, to clear any doubts and ask questions. Thanks!
What company have you found that is willing to rent your car from you?
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2010
1317 posts
253 upvotes
addictivemate wrote: No this is not a joke. This was something I was actually thinking as I barely use that car. Now that I have a clear understanding from the responses in the forum, I would not consider leasing it out to another company even if it was possible. I guess that is what this forum is for, to clear any doubts and ask questions. Thanks!
You have a nice ride and you want to let people you dont know abuse it?