Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lenovo Canada

14w Lenovo 14" FHD 1080p Laptop/AMD A6-9220C/4 GB DDR4/64 GB eMMC [$240-10% ebates = $216]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 8:52 am
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Dammit. They delivered early. I was going to pick up tomorrow when I had time.
dgege wrote: Chrome will automatically discard tabs when it detects low memory situations.
Totally forgot to mention that I specifically disabled this.
When Chrome retrieves a tab that's been discarded it obviously refreshes it. I don't want that to happen.
I want it in memory so nothing changes.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Mar 11, 2007
134 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
So I opened it up. I can see where the M.2 slot should be, but it's not soldered on. I'll probably return it.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
13237 posts
12063 upvotes
Toronto
admiraltictac wrote: So I opened it up. I can see where the M.2 slot should be, but it's not soldered on. I'll probably return it.
Wow that's a shame, really limits the capability.
Jun 10, 2017
120 posts
162 upvotes
London
For anyone trying to do a fresh install on this laptop, make sure you patch the eMMC driver to either the installation or rescue media. Otherwise the install wizard won't recognize the internal flash drive. And since it only has 64GB of storage, I would recommend the 2019 LTSC version instead of retail version, can save about 5GB storage space and consume less CPU/RAM resources.
Banned
Aug 9, 2019
52 posts
221 upvotes
Montreal
Would be nice to know if you could upgrade the Storage.. (hard drive)
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
13237 posts
12063 upvotes
Toronto
Karinn wrote: Would be nice to know if you could upgrade the Storage.. (hard drive)
Nope, one user opened it up and no internal port, you will need to rely on MicroSD.
admiraltictac wrote: So I opened it up. I can see where the M.2 slot should be, but it's not soldered on. I'll probably return it.
Feb 21, 2004
173 posts
95 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
metallicloud wrote: For anyone trying to do a fresh install on this laptop, make sure you patch the eMMC driver to either the installation or rescue media. Otherwise the install wizard won't recognize the internal flash drive. And since it only has 64GB of storage, I would recommend the 2019 LTSC version instead of retail version, can save about 5GB storage space and consume less CPU/RAM resources.
How does 2019 LTSC version save 5 gigabytes and consume less cpu/ram resources?
Sep 1, 2009
376 posts
339 upvotes
gta
It’s chrome it self - use Firefox
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”-John Galt 😎
Jun 10, 2017
120 posts
162 upvotes
London
FadeAwayJ wrote: How does 2019 LTSC version save 5 gigabytes and consume less cpu/ram resources?
Because it is very slim, it does not come with any UWP app.
Nov 21, 2011
722 posts
138 upvotes
CALGARY, CA
metallicloud wrote: For anyone trying to do a fresh install on this laptop, make sure you patch the eMMC driver to either the installation or rescue media. Otherwise the install wizard won't recognize the internal flash drive. And since it only has 64GB of storage, I would recommend the 2019 LTSC version instead of retail version, can save about 5GB storage space and consume less CPU/RAM resources.
Why fresh install
Jun 10, 2017
120 posts
162 upvotes
London
calgaryleb wrote: Why fresh install
In my case, I just wanted to switch to the LTSC version, and it actually works better with this laptop.
Dec 10, 2003
510 posts
576 upvotes
Vancouver #1
I am sorely disappointed by this. It's slower than the n4000 HP stream despite the higher passmark score. It will not play youtube in VP9 in edge. It struggles with 1080P youtube in chrome. Updated to 1809, windows will not let me update any higher. Bios updated via Lenovo Vantage. This CPU is just slow AF. Sorry for hating but its just not good man.

The good stuff: The top part is aluminum, the look is very premium in all black. Looks like an awesome machine right? NO!

The screen is TN so as soon as you look off angle, you get colour and brightness shifts. Colours are not vibrant. No where close to HP stream's screen. I should have kept that thing. zomg, so regret. I am really not the type to be so negative but I got to be truthful. May be I got a lemon? I can live with the screen if the CPU was actually giving me 30% more performance in real world compared to the N4000 but it's really bad. Typing emails is pretty much all this can do. sigh...am I the only one that feels this way? I was really hoping for better performance.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
93civicin604 wrote: I am sorely disappointed by this. It's slower than the n4000 HP stream despite the higher passmark score. It will not play youtube in VP9 in edge. It struggles with 1080P youtube in chrome. Updated to 1809, windows will not let me update any higher. Bios updated via Lenovo Vantage. This CPU is just slow AF. Sorry for hating but its just not good man.

The good stuff: The top part is aluminum, the look is very premium in all black. Looks like an awesome machine right? NO!

The screen is TN so as soon as you look off angle, you get colour and brightness shifts. Colours are not vibrant. No where close to HP stream's screen. I should have kept that thing. zomg, so regret. I am really not the type to be so negative but I got to be truthful. May be I got a lemon? I can live with the screen if the CPU was actually giving me 30% more performance in real world compared to the N4000 but it's really bad. Typing emails is pretty much all this can do. sigh...am I the only one that feels this way? I was really hoping for better performance.
You made my night though. I had ended up buying an older 13.3' dell lattitude 3340 from ebay for $226 incl taxes and shipping with 8gb ram and i5 processor and I kept thinking about this one.. Glad I hadn't clicked on the buy (I had gone to the shopping cart few times over the past week)
Last edited by weedb0y on Oct 18th, 2019 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2017
1176 posts
2195 upvotes
Any way to add RAM?
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23017 posts
6890 upvotes
Scarberia
93civicin604 wrote: I am sorely disappointed by this. It's slower than the n4000 HP stream despite the higher passmark score. It will not play youtube in VP9 in edge. It struggles with 1080P youtube in chrome. Updated to 1809, windows will not let me update any higher. Bios updated via Lenovo Vantage. This CPU is just slow AF. Sorry for hating but its just not good man.

Saved me from buying it lol
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3352 posts
2339 upvotes
Langley
mikka2017 wrote: Saved me from buying it lol
Saved me from recommending it to a coworker.... Thanks!
Nov 14, 2005
161 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
JasonToronto wrote: I received mine today. It is usable, but it is slower than what I expect. Perhaps, it is the eMMC storage. I think eMMC is slower than SSD. 20 some GB has been used after it first starts. 30 something left to be used. There is a micro SD card slot, which is nice. But, the card sticks out about half mm. Potentially, it can be ejected accidentally.

Anyone knows if there is internal slot for NVME hard drive?
This thing runs pretty slow. Will installing chrome OS improve this to a usable state?
Jan 5, 2017
82 posts
63 upvotes
plugdat wrote: This thing runs pretty slow. Will installing chrome OS improve this to a usable state?
Yes it would.

Chrome OS has a lot less background processes. It will boot and operate faster than a Windows equivalent machine.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23017 posts
6890 upvotes
Scarberia
plugdat wrote: This thing runs pretty slow. Will installing chrome OS improve this to a usable state?
yup pretty much if u just youtube/email/webbrowse, just install that neverware cloudready OS and it should be smooth granted u don't open up too many tabs browsing
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Nov 21, 2011
722 posts
138 upvotes
CALGARY, CA
got my yesterday.

i would not say this is slow. its is good to very good.

it does play youtube (vp9) in 1080p. i had to finish a bunch of updates that were running in background and restart first. 1440p and 4k youtube did not work.

overall quality is good.

AMD has a superbright mode that boosts the screen some how. it was good enough brightness to begin. but consider it bonus.

installed office and some updates. still have 33gb free. lots here.

nice addition, it has the F1 to F12 keys are actually not F1 functions. like F1 has the little icon for volume. and you just click the button and the volume changes. and if you really want the F1 function then its FN+F1.

AMD has superboost resolution. so you can actually do 1440p in windows then it downscales to the 1080 screen.

streamed xbox one to 14w, worked in very high quality. estimated battery life seems good with moderate use

not sure what else to try, but so far so good. most likely keeping the two i bought.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)