Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lenovo Canada

14w Lenovo 14" FHD 1080p Laptop/AMD A6-9220C/4 GB DDR4/64 GB eMMC [$240-10% ebates = $216]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 8:52 am
Oct 24, 2005
629 posts
247 upvotes
If we install cloudReady chrome OS on it, will it run smoothly? I noticed they have 14e chromebook for $342 and with A4 CPU and 32GB storage. So if we can turn this into a chromebook, it is better than the 14e?
Also BF is coming soon so not sure if the price will drop then.

Thanks.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
duncancj wrote: That much of a difference, hey? My computer struggles with the same. In that case, I think it's worth a try. I can't believe how cheap SSDs have gotten. Thanks for the advice!
Absolutely. SSDs really help out with load times and caching (when RAM is low), so it works out.
Nov 25, 2002
702 posts
178 upvotes
Kelowna
duncancj wrote: That much of a difference, hey? My computer struggles with the same. In that case, I think it's worth a try. I can't believe how cheap SSDs have gotten. Thanks for the advice!
Yea. It really blew me away. I thought ram and processor were probably bottlenecking things but an ssd seemed to fix everything. The responsiveness was night and day. To open photoshop went from like 3 minutes to 10 seconds. Turns out 4 gigs of ram was plenty. I do all kinds of things with it now. Bern my daily driver for 10 years now.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23017 posts
6890 upvotes
Scarberia
op link gives me a black screen! prolly due to adblockers on chrome, i can never go thru ebates either , has anyone done a detail comparison with this laptop vs the HP stream 14 from MS from last month, better CPU plus usb C plus TOUCH and u can put in a 2.5inch ssd right? all for bout 40$ more, not bad i guess

downsides: worse battery life,worse screen
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Feb 4, 2017
358 posts
426 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: op link gives me a black screen! prolly due to adblockers on chrome, i can never go thru ebates either , has anyone done a detail comparison with this laptop vs the HP stream 14 from MS from last month, better CPU plus usb C plus TOUCH and u can put in a 2.5inch ssd right? all for bout 40$ more, not bad i guess

downsides: worse battery life,worse screen
The 14w comes in two versions and the one in this post doesn't have touch.
Sep 2, 2014
385 posts
634 upvotes
Vancouver
smirnoff wrote: Yea. It really blew me away. I thought ram and processor were probably bottlenecking things but an ssd seemed to fix everything. The responsiveness was night and day. To open photoshop went from like 3 minutes to 10 seconds. Turns out 4 gigs of ram was plenty. I do all kinds of things with it now. Bern my daily driver for 10 years now.
Alright, this is tomorrow's project then. Picked up a 500gb Samsung Evo 680 on the way to Turkey driver tonight. We'll see how it goes!
Nov 25, 2002
702 posts
178 upvotes
Kelowna
duncancj wrote: Alright, this is tomorrow's project then. Picked up a 500gb Samsung Evo 680 on the way to Turkey driver tonight. We'll see how it goes!
Worst case you've got a nice ssd. :) But I'd love to hear your results. To be honest I'm impressed to hear of dell laptop that's lasted that long! Had nothing but bad experiences myself. But then, people say that about HP, and mine has never let me down (battery and all).

I think you'll be well pleased with how dramatically different it feels. :)
Nov 21, 2011
722 posts
138 upvotes
CALGARY, CA
My visa is showing mysterious $1.00 charge from Lenovo Canada ??
Feb 4, 2017
358 posts
426 upvotes
calgaryleb wrote: My visa is showing mysterious $1.00 charge from Lenovo Canada ??
Could be for the shipping and they will refund it? Shipping is a separate line in the order so maybe that's how their processes it.
Oct 24, 2013
46 posts
34 upvotes
Ottawa
I think its a standard charge to 'test' the credit card to make sure it is legit and not fraudulent. Many retailers do that and then refund the $1 charge.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11270 upvotes
calgaryleb wrote: My visa is showing mysterious $1.00 charge from Lenovo Canada ??
Is it pending? Probably just a 'does this card actually work' transaction. In the old days you would have never known it existed.

It will be refunded.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2015
1255 posts
2075 upvotes
Vancouver
Additiona -$11.95 discount if you can verify your student status via ID.me
Images
  • Cart___Lenovo_Canada.jpg
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
fpenguin wrote: Additiona -$11.95 discount if you can verify your student status via ID.me
What docs did you use?
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2015
1255 posts
2075 upvotes
Vancouver
weedb0y wrote: What docs did you use?
proof of enrolment from my wife’s school. had to wait for a couple hours for verification
Oct 16, 2007
386 posts
96 upvotes
Barrie
smirnoff wrote: Spend $50 and put an ssd in it. Change your life.

Im running an even older HP for similar purposes, and its specs are worse than yours (dv6780se). It got to the point where it was gridning to a halt just opening a browser. Installed ssd, fresh install of windows, it was like a new machine. Have had zero reason to think about upgrading since then.
What ssd would work with this laptop?Thanks
Sep 2, 2014
385 posts
634 upvotes
Vancouver
smirnoff wrote: Worst case you've got a nice ssd. :) But I'd love to hear your results. To be honest I'm impressed to hear of dell laptop that's lasted that long! Had nothing but bad experiences myself. But then, people say that about HP, and mine has never let me down (battery and all).

I think you'll be well pleased with how dramatically different it feels. :)
Success! Had a few struggles with the disassembly/reassembly and installing Windows 10 on the new drive, but it is like I'm using a new machine now. I did a nice full clean, de-dust, and re-pasted the cup/gpu while I was at it.

This laptop has been pretty unbelievable for me. Bought it refurbished in 2011 and abused it through 5 years of engineer school, along with plenty of travelling.

Thanks again. I'm quite pleased with saving money and avoiding buying a new chunk of metal and plastic.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2883 posts
1622 upvotes
A bunch of us on another thread are still waiting after 3.5 months for delivery of Lenovo t730 desktops. Lenovo continues to fail to give proper status updates leaving us clueless when the desktops will actually be delivered. Original ship date was two weeks at the time of order, be careful, if you need this laptop quickly.
Aug 30, 2012
177 posts
81 upvotes
drunkgoat wrote: A bunch of us on another thread are still waiting after 3.5 months for delivery of Lenovo t730 desktops. Lenovo continues to fail to give proper status updates leaving us clueless when the desktops will actually be delivered. Original ship date was two weeks at the time of order, be careful, if you need this laptop quickly.
Placed order for this laptop on Oct 13 and received shipment notification today with tracking number from UPS. Expected delivery date is Oct. 21.
Nov 25, 2002
702 posts
178 upvotes
Kelowna
duncancj wrote: Success! Had a few struggles with the disassembly/reassembly and installing Windows 10 on the new drive, but it is like I'm using a new machine now. I did a nice full clean, de-dust, and re-pasted the cup/gpu while I was at it.
Right on man! Glad it has worked out and your seeing the difference. :)
Nov 25, 2002
702 posts
178 upvotes
Kelowna
Lee C wrote: What ssd would work with this laptop?Thanks
Oh, probably any ssd in the standard 2.5" format. I think mine is some 128gig Kingston model for a few years back.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)