Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lenovo Canada

14w Lenovo 14" FHD 1080p Laptop/AMD A6-9220C/4 GB DDR4/64 GB eMMC [$240-10% ebates = $216]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 8:52 am
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
repatch wrote: Basically it comes down to: many processes will use memory as there is free memory to use. Chrome is one of these. I won't go fully into the details, but just because Chrome is using 6GB on your system, that doesn't mean it will use 6GB on another system with less memory.
I get that, but who at Mastercard decided it was a good idea to make a site that big to actually use up all my damn memory.
Fact is: I use a system with 'only' 4GB of memory, another system with 16GB of memory, and my work PC with 64GB of memory. All run Win10. I can't really notice any difference in performance related to memory utilization.
Really? I range from 2GB to 128GB and I can 100% notice memory.
Since I use chrome so badly I'm always choked on memory. I have probably close to a terabyte of RAM spanning all my machines that Chrome is using most of.
repatch wrote: I'm not sure what you're talking about with booting either? Are you trying to boot from the network or something?
This is exactly what I'm talking about.
Once you're in the OS, it's fine at best.
@Timbo420 already covered most of why I don't like dongles.
Plus I just don't like dongles. Native anything is better than having extra crap hanging off the side.
delldeals8 wrote: To see RFD deals and buy more stuff
You kid, but the notebook that this is replacing is literally pretty much going to be a dedicated ebates machine so I can keep adblock off of it.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
death_hawk wrote: I get that, but who at Mastercard decided it was a good idea to make a site that big to actually use up all my damn memory.

Really? I range from 2GB to 128GB and I can 100% notice memory.
Since I use chrome so badly I'm always choked on memory. I have probably close to a terabyte of RAM spanning all my machines that Chrome is using most of.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.
Once you're in the OS, it's fine at best.
@Timbo420 already covered most of why I don't like dongles.
Plus I just don't like dongles. Native anything is better than having extra crap hanging off the side.

You kid, but the notebook that this is replacing is literally pretty much going to be a dedicated ebates machine so I can keep adblock off of it.
Utilization of RAM isn't an indicator of success or performance issues.

Chrome is designed to leverage RAM to speed up, if you have lower amount, it's going to adjust itself.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: Chrome is designed to leverage RAM to speed up, if you have lower amount, it's going to adjust itself.
I get that, but it still chokes when you don't give it enough.
Source: I don't have enough on a 4GB machine and Chrome is painful to use compared to a machine with more RAM.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11270 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I get that, but it still chokes when you don't give it enough.
Source: I don't have enough on a 4GB machine and Chrome is painful to use compared to a machine with more RAM.
I've got no clue what kind of sites you're visiting that causes Chrome to NEED more than 4GB.

I'm currently on my 64GB machine, Chrome is barely cracking 3GB:
Untitled.png
Either you are visiting some MASSIVELY broken sites, or there is something wrong with your Chrome installation.

Perhaps you have a plugin soaking up all your memory.

You don't need that much memory for Chrome to run smoothly. The fact you are seeing that tells me it's something specific to your setup.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
repatch wrote: I've got no clue what kind of sites you're visiting that causes Chrome to NEED more than 4GB.
Most tend to behave, sitting around a few hundred MB per site.
But when you have 500+ of them open...
The one outlier I posted above (Mastercard's thing) decided it wanted 2.5GB.
I'm currently on my 64GB machine, Chrome is barely cracking 3GB:
How many windows and tabs?
I'd estimate under 50 for that number. Or 1x Mastercard.

Chrome confuses me.
I have 168 tabs open on another machine. It's using 690MB.
But for some hilarious reason "GPU Process" is using nearly 12GB.
Also I have a Chowhound page open using 1.3GB.
Either you are visiting some MASSIVELY broken sites, or there is something wrong with your Chrome installation.
Nah. Just a ridiculous number of tabs. Across all my machines we're talking in the thousands.
The one machine has (had, session buddy broke) over 800 alone.
Perhaps you have a plugin soaking up all your memory.
I'm pretty light on plugins to be honest.
You don't need that much memory for Chrome to run smoothly. The fact you are seeing that tells me it's something specific to your setup.
I know exactly what it is: A ridiculous amount of tabs.
Mar 1, 2015
175 posts
110 upvotes
North York, ON
Has anyone got theirs? Mine is in Mount Hope, ON, since 2AM this morning. It was scheduled to be delivered today.
Feb 4, 2017
358 posts
426 upvotes
JasonToronto wrote: Has anyone got theirs? Mine is in Mount Hope, ON, since 2AM this morning. It was scheduled to be delivered today.
Mine is at Mount Hope scheduled for tomorrow.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11270 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I know exactly what it is: A ridiculous amount of tabs.
Doc, it hurts when I do this.

Then stop doing that.

Honestly, thousands of tabs? I'd say you're using things wrong. I can't think of any reason that 800 tabs makes sense, never mind thousands.

Anyways, for the vast majority of people, who don't have thousands of tabs open, 4GB is more than enough.
Nov 23, 2014
518 posts
465 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
Zoughi1 wrote: Mine is at Mount Hope scheduled for tomorrow.
That's where Lenovo's customs broker is as they do not use UPS and YMMY on how fast it clears customs.

If someone 'lost the paperwork' it could take a few days or if all goes well it will clear as expected. Here's hoping for the latter.
Feb 4, 2017
358 posts
426 upvotes
MusicEveryday wrote: That's where Lenovo's customs broker is as they do not use UPS and YMMY on how fast it clears customs.

If someone 'lost the paperwork' it could take a few days or if all goes well it will clear as expected. Here's hoping for the latter.
Thanks for the heads up!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
repatch wrote: Doc, it hurts when I do this.

Then stop doing that.

Honestly, thousands of tabs? I'd say you're using things wrong. I can't think of any reason that 800 tabs makes sense, never mind thousands.
I can't even argue that it's a weird workflow.
But taking that experience, even a dozen tabs on a lower RAM machine can hurt sometimes.
My 4GB machine can barely handle like a dozen without shitting the bed.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10207 posts
11270 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I can't even argue that it's a weird workflow.
But taking that experience, even a dozen tabs on a lower RAM machine can hurt sometimes.
My 4GB machine can barely handle like a dozen without shitting the bed.
I have 17 open on my 4GB machine, and Chrome is using just over a GB.

Again, Chrome tailors it's memory use based on how much memory is available.

Look, if you aren't happy with the performance of your machine so be it, but to generalize your usage model to everyone is disingenuous. For 'regular' users, 4GB is a perfectly usable amount of RAM.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
repatch wrote: I have 17 open on my 4GB machine, and Chrome is using just over a GB.
I'm at 33 with the Chrome process itself using 226MB on a 4GB machine.
The other tabs range from 400MB from a pair of Youtube to 22MB for a merchant.
I'm not disputing that.
Look, if you aren't happy with the performance of your machine so be it, but to generalize your usage model to everyone is disingenuous. For 'regular' users, 4GB is a perfectly usable amount of RAM.
I never said it wasn't. Actually I have said that a few times. 8GB is about what I'd recommend today.
4GB isn't unusable though. It's 2GB that it starts getting hairy.
Aug 17, 2012
417 posts
449 upvotes
Vancouver
Just got this. The viewing angles are pretty bad and the bottom plate has captive screws. Like how do you even open it up?

Mini-review:
I bought this to write with and have a little mobility + browse the web. No optimizations done, straight out of the box.

So far, I'm not a fan of the screen for the viewing angles.

It feels sturdy, the mixed-metal construction is nice.

The bottom of the laptop (and power brick) gets pretty warm in basic browsing and youtube with wireless AC.

Not really liking the touchpad since it's seamless and sometimes you can't tell where left and right click are (in practical use without looking) and I tend to hit the right click.
Ideally I'd like to change both to left click and use two fingers to right click.

It's a bit slow in everything coming from a desktop, and hitting the wrong click button doesn't help responsiveness, but not half-as-bad as a z8350 mini-pc which I used strictly for watching movies.

The F1-F12 extra functions use shift to trigger rather than the FN key.

Anyways, it should get the job done.
Last edited by dfphoenix on Oct 16th, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
repatch wrote: I have 17 open on my 4GB machine, and Chrome is using just over a GB.

Well said.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2008
1699 posts
1088 upvotes
repatch wrote: Again, Chrome tailors it's memory use based on how much memory is available.
To give more details about this, Chrome will automatically discard tabs when it detects low memory situations. You can view the discarding states by opening a new tab and navigating to chrome://discards

More info can be found here although the feature has evolved since :

https://developers.google.com/web/updat ... discarding
Mar 1, 2015
175 posts
110 upvotes
North York, ON
Zoughi1 wrote: Mine is at Mount Hope scheduled for tomorrow.
I received mine today. It is usable, but it is slower than what I expect. Perhaps, it is the eMMC storage. I think eMMC is slower than SSD. 20 some GB has been used after it first starts. 30 something left to be used. There is a micro SD card slot, which is nice. But, the card sticks out about half mm. Potentially, it can be ejected accidentally.

Anyone knows if there is internal slot for NVME hard drive?
Feb 4, 2017
358 posts
426 upvotes
JasonToronto wrote: I received mine today. It is usable, but it is slower than what I expect. Perhaps, it is the eMMC storage. I think eMMC is slower than SSD. 20 some GB has been used after it first starts. 30 something left to be used. There is a micro SD card slot, which is nice. But, the card sticks out about half mm. Potentially, it can be ejected accidentally.

Anyone knows if there is internal slot for NVME hard drive?
I received two laptops today from Lenovo, this one and a chromebook 300e. The chromebook has a nice IPS touchscreen for roughly $370 tax in. I haven't opened the Windows.
Images
  • 20191016_225910.jpg

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)