Expired Hot Deals

[Lenovo Canada] [Lenovo Canada + Ebates] 10% Ebates on all Lenovo Canada, 49% off overstock ThinkPad Laptops (Includes ultrabooks)

[OP]
Sep 28, 2018
31 posts
56 upvotes

[Lenovo Canada] [Lenovo Canada + Ebates] 10% Ebates on all Lenovo Canada, 49% off overstock ThinkPad Laptops (Includes ultrabooks)

Hey all!

Noticed this in my inbox today, thought I'd pass it on! YMMV on what systems interest you, but there's some good deals to be had. The ThinkPad X1 Carbon (5th Gen) - 20K4S0ED00 - at $1,348.20, then tack on another 10% off from Ebates, is a pretty solid deal IMO. Total cost would be $1213.98.

6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6500U (2.50GHz, up to 3.10GHz with Turbo Boost, 4MB Cache)
Operating System Windows 10 Pro 64
Display Type 14" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS anti-glare
Memory 8 GB (Onboard, expandable)
Hard Drive 512 GB SSD
Warranty 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
Graphics Integrated Intel HD 520
Camera 720p HD with ThinkShutter
Fingerprint Reader
Backlit - US English Keyboard
Wireless Intel Dual Band 8260 Wireless AC (2 x 2) & Bluetooth 4.1

https://www.ebates.ca/
https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/deals/thin ... =LEN234110
12 replies
Jan 28, 2015
53 posts
79 upvotes
Montreal
Very cold deal, op.

The lowest 8th gen processors (e.g. i5-8250U, i5-8300H) have roughly double the performance of i7-6500U--in fact with 2 cores, that is basically on par with a 7th gen i3. RAM is also DDR3 1866 MHz, and the components basically can't be upgraded because the motherboard is 2-3 year old tech. See: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/In ... 3042vs3254

For $1200, you can get a 8th gen i7 Y530 gaming laptop (surprising build quality for what it is), or for a few hundred more, a x1 carbon/yoga on sale (but only mildly warm deals at the moment).
[OP]
Sep 28, 2018
31 posts
56 upvotes
See anything else in their overstock list that makes the discounts valuable? 49% with additional 10% is almost certainly worthwhile on some of those systems. I'm not a hardware wizard, though, so I 100% defer to your knowledge on this one! Thumbs up.
Jun 7, 2017
745 posts
1393 upvotes
New Brunswick
I really wish the full-spec X1 Carbon would come back in stock. With this ebate it'd work out to about $1937 after tax.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
2537 posts
3782 upvotes
Laval
if you are looking for a monitor use the below code for 10%

eCoupon: MONITOREXTRA10
Mar 14, 2009
314 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
I got a X1 Carbon 6th gen for $1382 a month or so ago with 8% ebate.

Also returned it because of terrible build quality but if you want one 5th gen at that price isn't the best value, the 6th gen will come back to there or lower in a month or two.
Nov 3, 2018
59 posts
130 upvotes
anybody knows if the "ThinkVision T27i-10 27-inch Wide FHD Monitor" is worth it? not much reviews out there.

seems pretty good 270 plus tax after using thato Igor discount code above.
Feb 4, 2019
90 posts
73 upvotes
dillybravo wrote:
Mar 30th, 2019 6:02 pm
I got a X1 Carbon 6th gen for $1382 a month or so ago with 8% ebate.

Also returned it because of terrible build quality but if you want one 5th gen at that price isn't the best value, the 6th gen will come back to there or lower in a month or two.
What in particular about the build quality had you concerned?

I just bought the top spec X1C 6th gen and I was impressed with the build quality. My problem has been with the HDR display: stuck red pixel right in the middle, very glossy and issues getting Dolby Vision to work with Netflix (worked initially but not anymore). I've only had it two days but I'm probably returning it due to the stuck pixel and my issues with the reflectiveness. It's a shame as I love the size, weight, keyboard and display (in the right environment).
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2011
1511 posts
564 upvotes
Mississauga
AGTOM83 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2019 7:04 pm

I just bought the top spec X1C 6th gen and I was impressed with the build quality. My problem has been with the HDR display: stuck red pixel right in the middle, very glossy and issues getting Dolby Vision to work with Netflix (worked initially but not anymore). I've only had it two days but I'm probably returning it due to the stuck pixel and my issues with the reflectiveness. It's a shame as I love the size, weight, keyboard and display (in the right environment).
If you really like it and can spend a little bit more, do what I did; I also had a stuck pixel, so added on a 3 yr NBD warranty (~$150). Called them up, and they swapped it at my home literally the next day. The 3 yr warranty is useful for me anyway, and also gives me a sealed battery replacement which will be useful down the road and is probably a necessity with these laptops with sealed batteries.
Mar 14, 2009
314 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
AGTOM83 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2019 7:04 pm
A combination of small things that together were too much for a 'premium' machine. I also tried the 2019 Dell XPS which was just rock solid and compared to that and my 2017 Macbook Air it was too much.

First one I got wouldn't power on, eventually got it to turn on but the button didn't really function. Second issue, not exactly build quality but in the same vein, when I upgraded all the drivers with the Lenovo tool the speakers stopped working. I troubleshooted a bit but I'm not about to spend hours fixing a brand new laptop due to integration issues. Also keyboard seemed kind of mushy, to the extent >100 wpm it'd start transposing letters, though I could've lived with it. Back it goes.

Ordered another, figured I'd try silver because the black is beautiful but a grease-magnet. Well, keyboard was just delightful, though same OEM. But a couple of the keycaps were on all wonky, sticking up/crooked. OK, well I guess I can live with that. Then I notice when I close the lid, one end would close, the other end stuck up almost a cm! Terrible hinge adjustment, couldn't see a way to fix it. Looks terrible and at some point a pen or something is going to gouge the screen for sure. Plus the silver sure is cheap-looking and plasticky IMO. So that one went back, too.

It's too bad because the 14" screen in 13" footprint, USB C + A ports, etc. are all real useful and frankly ideal for me. But I want a tool that just works not one that needs repair/compromise/troubleshooting all the time.
Feb 4, 2019
90 posts
73 upvotes
dillybravo wrote:
Mar 30th, 2019 7:24 pm
A combination of small things that together were too much for a 'premium' machine. I also tried the 2019 Dell XPS which was just rock solid and compared to that and my 2017 Macbook Air it was too much.

First one I got wouldn't power on, eventually got it to turn on but the button didn't really function. Second issue, not exactly build quality but in the same vein, when I upgraded all the drivers with the Lenovo tool the speakers stopped working. I troubleshooted a bit but I'm not about to spend hours fixing a brand new laptop due to integration issues. Also keyboard seemed kind of mushy, to the extent >100 wpm it'd start transposing letters, though I could've lived with it. Back it goes.

Ordered another, figured I'd try silver because the black is beautiful but a grease-magnet. Well, keyboard was just delightful, though same OEM. But a couple of the keycaps were on all wonky, sticking up/crooked. OK, well I guess I can live with that. Then I notice when I close the lid, one end would close, the other end stuck up almost a cm! Terrible hinge adjustment, couldn't see a way to fix it. Looks terrible and at some point a pen or something is going to gouge the screen for sure. Plus the silver sure is cheap-looking and plasticky IMO. So that one went back, too.

It's too bad because the 14" screen in 13" footprint, USB C + A ports, etc. are all real useful and frankly ideal for me. But I want a tool that just works not one that needs repair/compromise/troubleshooting all the time.
Yeah, I was reading about the X1C issues and came across the uneven closing which is kind of ridiculous. There do seem to be some real quality control issues with Lenovo.
Feb 4, 2019
90 posts
73 upvotes
hackoder wrote:
Mar 30th, 2019 7:16 pm
If you really like it and can spend a little bit more, do what I did; I also had a stuck pixel, so added on a 3 yr NBD warranty (~$150). Called them up, and they swapped it at my home literally the next day. The 3 yr warranty is useful for me anyway, and also gives me a sealed battery replacement which will be useful down the road and is probably a necessity with these laptops with sealed batteries.
Not a bad idea, I'll think it over.
Jan 19, 2018
25 posts
2 upvotes
Guys how is the E485 for $556?

Need it for personal use (Studies/Work/Movies). I have a T460 from work but it’s pretty much restricted for personal use. Looking for a laptop within this range. Would be happy with a refurb too but can’t find anything really good.

Also is the upgrade to Full HD for another $40 worth it? Seems like a good bargain.

Also, the price is a bit lower through Venngo (EPP). Is that stackable with ebates?