• Jun 17th, 2019 10:41 am
[OP]
Apr 21, 2012
282 posts
293 upvotes
Ontario
Sylenall wrote:
Mar 4th, 2019 8:31 pm
Don't really want to read through 18 pages, but is there even a deal going on? I'm not seeing a discount on Lenovo's website.
I guess I should add a summary on the first page.

TL/DR is roughly: best deal is taking advantage of either the student/teachers discount at 20% or the military discount at 25% off. There's also a rediculous people over 50 discount but I don't know if that's also 20%. Stack the ebates discount which fluctuates between 1 to 9 percent. The ebates discount will be after discounting the 20 percent and does not include tax. Works out to around 25 to 30 percent off.

Laptop wise it's an amazing laptop at the MSRP price point and features some of the newest technology on the market. Add in the 30 percent discount and you get a pretty awesome deal. Unfortunately, you're still spending around $2000 +/- $200 at the low end. I'm estimating I'll pay around 2100 for 3 year waranty with accidental damage, 512GB NVME PCIe SSD, RTX 2060, 15inch 144Hz 1080P monitor, I7-8750H processor. It seems to be competitive in the benchmarks relative to other products with similar specs and it's doing very well keeping the thermals low. Mostly metal construction is well liked as well. Keyboards slightly off center and some people finds it annoying. I didn't even notice. It also features a thunderbolt 3 port which will help future proof it over previous generations of laptops (get an eGPU to upgrade the graphics card). Biggest complaint is some backlight bleed. Some peoples images looked really bad. My laptop had noticeable bleed in the bottom left and bottom right corners in dark scenes/images.

Lenovo also will put on discounts all the time, I just used the LENOVO20 discount instead of getting my sisters student card or... find someone over 50 which i'm sure anyone can do... which gave me 20 percent off. This was last weekend.

The student/teacher/military discount can be applied at checkout by clicking the highlighted student / teacher / military / over 50 text during checkout below the enter coupon code box. Upload the required docs through the box that opens. DO NOT USE THE ID.ME WEBSITE. The websites only USA whereas this allows us to enter our Canadian information.

There's some benchmarks and more indepth reviews of the product now that are worthwhile watching.
Mar 16, 2010
126 posts
59 upvotes
Canada
Yeah that's great and all, but again, unless you have some special status or find someone willing to let you spoof their ID, the "deal" is dead. There is no "general admittance" code that still works.
Sep 26, 2015
394 posts
186 upvotes
Sylenall wrote:
Mar 4th, 2019 10:13 pm
Yeah that's great and all, but again, unless you have some special status or find someone willing to let you spoof their ID, the "deal" is dead. There is no "general admittance" code that still works.
Add YMMV to thread title or something...problem solved?
[OP]
Apr 21, 2012
282 posts
293 upvotes
Ontario
Sylenall wrote:
Mar 4th, 2019 10:13 pm
Okay. For you I guess the deal is dead.

Still open for anyone who knows someone whose a student, or a teacher, or over 50, or in the military, or still applicable at 9 percent if you're able to sign into ebates, or for anyone whose willing to wait a few weeks for the next time Lenovo has a promo code discount that since the creation of this thread has been at 5, 10, and 20 percent off.

There's also a deal for IBM employees and for accountants through their EPP affiliate websites which I think is around 12 percent. But for those deals you'll need to know the top secret password.
Apr 18, 2013
194 posts
94 upvotes
Cambridge
The only coupon I know about right now is an extra $130 off MARCHSALE. This coupon actually stacked with some of the sale discounts already applied but its hit and miss.

Most units are OOS right now anyways so might as well wait a week or 2, stuff is always going on sale
Nov 18, 2017
16 posts
11 upvotes
Has anyone returned their laptop yet? Did they charge the 15% restocking fee? I can't seem to get used to the keyboard placement, I have no idea why they would put so many useless keys on the left column.
Sep 26, 2015
394 posts
186 upvotes
Stasys wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 5:29 pm
Has anyone returned their laptop yet? Did they charge the 15% restocking fee? I can't seem to get used to the keyboard placement, I have no idea why they would put so many useless keys on the left column.
If it's within 30 days there should be no restocking fee, I confirmed this with them before I ordered. I think I've gotten used to the keyboard now.. Sometimes still hit the lenovo button when trying to hit esc, but overall don't really notice it now. It's either this or a rog strix which is prob another $500 more than I paid. So I'll deal with it.
Sep 26, 2015
394 posts
186 upvotes
So I finally got my ebates today. Received an email that said I got $227, but my account shows $175ish. Not sure why there is a discrepancy. On a side note, called customer service to match a discount, and they gave me almost another 10% off. So in the end I got about 30% off + ebates. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
1117 posts
111 upvotes
Richmond Hill
nagooro wrote:
Mar 9th, 2019 11:35 pm
So I finally got my ebates today. Received an email that said I got $227, but my account shows $175ish. Not sure why there is a discrepancy. On a side note, called customer service to match a discount, and they gave me almost another 10% off. So in the end I got about 30% off + ebates. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
What did you say exactly to customer service and which discount are you referring to?
Sep 26, 2015
394 posts
186 upvotes
pennywize wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 4:57 pm
What did you say exactly to customer service and which discount are you referring to?
Had them match an old teacher discount (25%), but somehow they messed up along the way and got to around 30% off.
Mar 1, 2019
4 posts
1 upvote
how about going for the 17 inch one? bigger screen and you get a full keyboard.
Jan 12, 2013
58 posts
22 upvotes
SURREY
aly975 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 9:12 pm
I went with the 17". Don't regret it, it comes with the 76WHr and I would rather have the numpad, larger screen and battery, over the portability, hotkeys, and lower price.
Aug 31, 2010
836 posts
161 upvotes
Victoria
aly975 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 9:12 pm
Would you notice the pixels in 17" screen?
New Koodo User
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
8217 posts
3792 upvotes
MVRD
qianquan wrote:
Mar 10th, 2019 11:58 pm
Would you notice the pixels in 17" screen?
Yes, you would. That's how you would see the images on the screen.

(Don't know if you have 20/20 vision...or maybe 20/16 or even 20/15 vision)
Jan 12, 2013
58 posts
22 upvotes
SURREY
chatbox wrote:
Mar 11th, 2019 1:33 am
Yes, you would. That's how you would see the images on the screen.

(Don't know if you have 20/20 vision...or maybe 20/16 or even 20/15 vision)
Lol. On a more serious reply, it's still a usable DPI, and the display is good (besides the backlight bleed).

I'm having some wifi disconnect issues while playing Apex, and only Apex...