• Apr 16th, 2019 8:31 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2007
1784 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
Zork1984 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 11:43 am
Are you sure it wasn't the 7th generation i5 at that price? I have been keeping an eye on the T480/T580 since around BF last year and I did not buy them because I was hoping for a 8th generation with 512GB SSD and I never came across that - unless I miss it.

It was this same config. With 8250U and 512 SSD. Family day sale.
Aug 5, 2008
143 posts
45 upvotes
Atillathepun wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 2:26 am
How much longer will a thinkpad last compared to a consumer grade laptop ?
I might be an outlier, but even Lenovo's consumer laptops seem pretty resilient - I'm still using my Y470 from 2011. Swapped the 4GB RAM for 8GB a few years back and I need to keep it on a massive cooling pad to keep it cool. Not the most enjoyable experience and I probably can't game anymore, but it still runs fairly well. Still thinking I need to replace it soon though...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
5864 posts
6065 upvotes
Those starter specs put me right to sleep.

Are we buying based on build quality alone?
Mar 6, 2013
203 posts
141 upvotes
Saint John, NB
My work just bought me one of these T480's to replace my T430. I am happy with it so far. Mine is i5, 256gb SSD, 16GB RAM and it works great so far. I went from 15 minute start up time to 15 second.
Jul 29, 2012
52 posts
4 upvotes
I grabbed a Yoga c930 a few weeks back and I'm still within the 30 day return period. I like the ultrabook feel but I can't help but lean towards something a bit more rugged that can be upgraded easily for more RAM. Different target users i know, but what would you guys choose? This vs a c930 with i7/12GB ram/256ssd?
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2006
2280 posts
1980 upvotes
Toronto
Nam5588 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 9:20 am
You wanna impress girls, you buy a macbook air or an ipad. You wanna get serious work done, you buy a Thinkpad.
Only if you wanna attract girls that are impressed by an ipad or macbook air :-)
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
1339 posts
369 upvotes
Montreal, QC
don't forget ebates, it's currently 9%
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2602 posts
473 upvotes
Toronto
Zork1984 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 11:43 am
Are you sure it wasn't the 7th generation i5 at that price? I have been keeping an eye on the T480/T580 since around BF last year and I did not buy them because I was hoping for a 8th generation with 512GB SSD and I never came across that - unless I miss it.
It was actually $900 on a flash sale on Black Friday weekend. i5-8250U, 8 GB ram, 512 GB SSD. I returned it. It was still too heavy, bezels too wide, and the screen had low contrast/poor colours. But the deciding factor was I hate how they wasted space inside - you can't have two NVMe drives in the HDD bay, even though there is ample space for it. They use an adapter that only fits one NVMe SSD drive in the full size HDD SATA bay.

Feb 26, 2017
247 posts
112 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Those starter specs put me right to sleep.

Are we buying based on build quality alone?
Yes. I am at least. I’m tired of laptops dying after 2-3 years.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20471 posts
6576 upvotes
robertro wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 7:52 am
I've had every version from 3.1 onwards, and to me it seems like, unless it's an older machine that is missing Win10 drivers, Win10 is faster to boot and easier to manage.
I've been in the same boat (MSDN, plus actually used most of the OSes between 3.1 and 10).
Personally I've never cared about boot speed. Actually it's one thing that 8 and 10 to a degree pisses me off about: It boots TOO fast.
Usually when I have to boot a machine, I'm doing maintenance etc so I need to get into the BIOS, PXE, USB, etc.
Having to boot into the OS just to reboot into the BIOS is asinine.
Out of curiousity, any other reasons to use Win7?
I have exactly one Windows 10 machine which is a gaming machine.
Even with LTSC it's annoying. At least I can disable stuff like updates so random reboots don't happen when there's 15 things open and I lose a bunch of stuff I was working on.
While Win7 does require some screwing to get working, it's no where near as bad as the amount of screwing I have to do to get Win10 to an acceptable level.

I do have to admit, I still sometimes have issues installing Windows 7 due to driver support. I've spent a few hours slipstreaming drivers etc but it still sometimes doesn't work.
At least with a modern OS, stuff like that is baked in (until it also gets old, but that's a problem for next year's me)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
5864 posts
6065 upvotes
Atillathepun wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 3:31 pm
Yes. I am at least. I’m tired of laptops dying after 2-3 years.
Fair enough, I'm fine frisbeeing a laptop after a few years as it's too slow at that point.

But folks move at different speeds.
Nov 16, 2010
43 posts
44 upvotes
Kitchener
Atillathepun wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 2:26 am
How much longer will a thinkpad last compared to a consumer grade laptop ?
Lenovo Thinkpads aren't as sturdy as they used to be. Take everything you read/hear from hardcore Thinkpad enthusiasts with a grain of salt, especially if they're raving about the durability of the more modern laptops. For the most part the modern Thinkpads *are* consumer grade inside, with the exception of the keyboard (and Lenovo is doing their best to take care of that discrepancy too).

They're good laptops (assuming you don't get bitten by Lenovo's spotty QA), but they are not the mythical machines that they once were.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
7428 posts
2817 upvotes
MVRD
drfyzziks wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 5:32 pm
Lenovo Thinkpads aren't as sturdy as they used to be. Take everything you read/hear from hardcore Thinkpad enthusiasts with a grain of salt, especially if they're raving about the durability of the more modern laptops. For the most part the modern Thinkpads *are* consumer grade inside, with the exception of the keyboard (and Lenovo is doing their best to take care of that discrepancy too).

They're good laptops (assuming you don't get bitten by Lenovo's spotty QA), but they are not the mythical machines that they once were.
Thinkpad T23 was my first (used, I was a student), then T41p (new, first pay cheque)...

These days, most Thinkpads are good...but not as good. W and P lines are my go-to.
Jul 25, 2008
969 posts
115 upvotes
Ottawa
My friend was having problem upgrading wifi card and replacing battery with generic vendir with his Lenovo.

they are whitelisted in bios.