• Jan 24th, 2013 10:56 am
Tags:
None
Dec 18, 2006
824 posts
92 upvotes
Richmond Hill

[Best Buy] Lenovo Ideapad A1 7" 16gb Android Tablet $89.98 at Best Buy

I came across this admittedly out-dated tablet deal while looking up the playbook deal from the other thread. Unlike that deal, there's still stock online and in-store for this one and the extra 10% discount when you add it to the cart makes it $89.98....not bad if you just plan on getting it for web surfing, e-reading or GPS. I ordered one for my parents as it fits their needs. Nice thing about this is the expandable storage, microUSB charging and battery life.

Obviously the stock GB OS is out-dated but from reading previous threads it performs better than the available ICS update which is kind of troublesome to perform.

Sale ends Feb 2, 2013.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/len ... 0d67feen02
20 replies
Oct 31, 2009
377 posts
76 upvotes
BC
I have one. It's very slow. Not recommended at all!
It's running Android 2.3. Screen touch response is extremely laggy, stutters, etc. Internet browsing on my Nexus 7 is ten times faster. It takes 30 sec. before Google Play opens up.
Look it up. The CPU is an unicore TI 3622 (Cortex A8) processor. Don't expect to do anything but read static webpages. If you're a slow reader you might like it, but even then, the screen display sucks (TN panel)

If you're in the market for e-readers, then buy an e-ink tablet; the Lenovo seems to have a lot of features, but it's a major failure in terms of performance compared to its competitors...
Aug 21, 2011
137 posts
19 upvotes
Montreal
grrrrr can't order it because of this !!!!&(&$^*$(% Quebec law !!
The following errors occurred:
One or more of the products within your cart is only provided by our suppliers and/or manufacturers in English which is not in compliance with the Quebec language legislation and cannot be shipped within the province of Quebec. Either remove the applicable product(s) from your cart, or change the shipping address to one outside of the province of Quebec.
Apr 11, 2006
570 posts
191 upvotes
Richmond
yann3804 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 12:33 pm
It's running Android 2.3. Screen touch response is extremely laggy, stutters, etc. Internet browsing on my Nexus 7 is ten times faster. It takes 30 sec. before Google Play opens up.
Look it up. The CPU is an unicore TI 3622 (Cortex A8) processor. Don't expect to do anything but read static webpages. If you're a slow reader you might like it, but even then, the screen display sucks (TN panel)

If you're in the market for e-readers, then buy an e-ink tablet; the Lenovo seems to have a lot of features, but it's a major failure in terms of performance compared to its competitors...
Thanks for the info. I was considering one of these until I saw the old Cortex A8 processor and limited 512 MB of RAM.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
6822 posts
1028 upvotes
For this price range I would recommend the Lenovo A2109, it usually goes on sale for $199 and is Tegra3, 9", 16GB, hdmi, JB, better battery life, etc
Aug 31, 2008
430 posts
22 upvotes
Calgary
better off buying a playbook at this price point or as other posters suggest atleast a tegra 2 android (for a little more).
[OP]
Dec 18, 2006
824 posts
92 upvotes
Richmond Hill
funinagg wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 1:39 pm
better off buying a playbook at this price point or as other posters suggest atleast a tegra 2 android (for a little more).
If you can find stock, yes. Around the GTA, the playbook is nowhere to be found save for a few open box units scattered around here and there. There aren't many sub-$100 tablets to begin with
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3709 posts
2259 upvotes
Toronto
yann3804 wrote:

I have a completely different experience :cheesygri . I bought one when it was $79.99 refurbished a few months ago.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-l ... 1252169/2/

Loved the tablet(Although my expectation might be lower since this is my first 7" tablet). Touch screen is quite responsive actually. Internet browsing is quick. Google play takes less than a few seconds to open. Major flaw is probably the viewing angle and it's slower on graphic intensive games. Battery life is very decent (6-8hours?)

Great for internet browsing and youtube videos.

Hmm...
Apr 3, 2007
999 posts
64 upvotes
Vancouver
kidd604 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 12:59 pm
Thanks for the info. I was considering one of these until I saw the old Cortex A8 processor and limited 512 MB of RAM.
yann3804 wrote:

I've owned this tablet for over a year and I pretty much agree with most of what you said. I've long since given this to my kids as a play thing. Most newer games can't run, many HD movies don't play, viewing angle is the worst I've seen on any tablet, battery drains pretty quickly and takes a long time to charge, the whole unit often freezes up and I have to do a hard reset. Even at $89 I wouldn't recommend, spend a little more and get something better or wait for a better deal to come along.
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
12707 posts
1539 upvotes
I believe this was $130 on Boxing Day. Guess they didn't sell a lot and/or they got a lot of returns.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2004
1491 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
I have the A1 running ICS with a bunch of tweaks and it isn't as slow and emotionally unstable like you folks are making it out to be. I can understand how one would feel if they were running the the tablet with it's stock software but there are other options for this tablet out there if you decided to use this neat thing called google.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1639330
Aug 3, 2004
676 posts
18 upvotes
Can you watch say a 720p or 1080p movie on this if the screen res is only 1024x600?
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
661 upvotes
Toronto
Raocorp wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 11:05 am
Can you watch say a 720p or 1080p movie on this if the screen res is only 1024x600?
Yes. My phone's resolution is 480x800, they just convert it to whatever resolution your tablet is at.
So for you, you would be watching in 600p
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
× < >