Expired Hot Deals

[Lenovo Canada] Lenovo: Thinkpad X1 Carbon $1,036.62 (expired)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2012 1:42 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 9, 2009
9 posts
Etobicoke, Toronto,…
cadave wrote:
Aug 27th, 2012 12:36 pm
I know how you feel... I was going to do the same. Now, do I play the waiting game and hope the option comes back or do I bite now before any further price changes?
Ya I don't want Lenovo to know but I am really set on this ultrabook. I was going to get the bare bone machine and believe I still am just at $78 more before tax. Is that really just because I "need" a USB to Ethernet or Bluetooth module? This is a stupid question, but do you if this bare bone model comes with any default port to use with a TV.
Oct 27, 2008
62 posts
4 upvotes
Calgary
Was about to pull the trigger on this, but found some major shortcomings

1. RAM is soldered in--no upgrading. Make sure you buy the most you can. Add to the fact, it's outdated 1333mhz when the other newer ultrabooks are running 1600mhz. Normally, not a problem.. but it's soldered! I believe the 8gb option is hilariously single DIMM. Unreal. Why not have 2x4gb dual channel? Memory is unbelievably cheap these days.
2. No IPS display. Don't care that they say, this is unacceptable at this price point. Ordered an x230 with it and believe me, you won't go back to a TN panel.
3. Advanced N 6205S 2x2 radio. Really? A 2x2 antenna? Anyone running 5ghz home networks will need to also run 2.4ghz now. Again, have fun trying to replace that module.

Guys, I would pass on this notebook until the obvious upgrades come its way. 1600mhz memory (with more reasonable upgrade prices), an IPS panel, and an Ultimate N radio.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2007
1084 posts
69 upvotes
Almost all "ultrabooks" have the ram soldered in, and most parts are unswappable (ssd, ram, battery, etc)

Compare the asus zenbook prime, macbook air, and lenovo x1 carbon at the 1k price point. The carbon is obviously better than all three in terms of durability and quality, where the performance is identical.

Ddr3 1333 isn't that even much worse from 1600, and although 8gb would be nice, its not neccessary unless your running vm's or excessively running a lot of apps at once.

Out of the screens, I definately would take a higher res over a lower res ips. You just have more room to work with, and it really isn't that much of a difference. I have the dell 2410 side by side with my 24" tn lcd, and I honesly would have picked up another 24" tn lcd for $200 cheaper. I do love the high res on the ips, but it isn't the same on the x230.

You would only want an ultrabook for its lightweight, portability, and aesthetics. If you want a powerhouse of a laptop, then look elsewhere.

stefan15 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2012 4:11 pm
Was about to pull the trigger on this, but found some major shortcomings

1. RAM is soldered in--no upgrading. Make sure you buy the most you can. Add to the fact, it's outdated 1333mhz when the other newer ultrabooks are running 1600mhz. Normally, not a problem.. but it's soldered! I believe the 8gb option is hilariously single DIMM. Unreal. Why not have 2x4gb dual channel? Memory is unbelievably cheap these days.
2. No IPS display. Don't care that they say, this is unacceptable at this price point. Ordered an x230 with it and believe me, you won't go back to a TN panel.
3. Advanced N 6205S 2x2 radio. Really? A 2x2 antenna? Anyone running 5ghz home networks will need to also run 2.4ghz now. Again, have fun trying to replace that module.

Guys, I would pass on this notebook until the obvious upgrades come its way. 1600mhz memory (with more reasonable upgrade prices), an IPS panel, and an Ultimate N radio.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
3250 posts
546 upvotes
Toronto, ON
UberN00b wrote:
Aug 27th, 2012 4:41 pm
Almost all "ultrabooks" have the ram soldered in, and most parts are unswappable (ssd, ram, battery, etc)

Compare the asus zenbook prime, macbook air, and lenovo x1 carbon at the 1k price point. The carbon is obviously better than all three in terms of durability and quality, where the performance is identical.

Ddr3 1333 isn't that even much worse from 1600, and although 8gb would be nice, its not neccessary unless your running vm's or excessively running a lot of apps at once.

Out of the screens, I definately would take a higher res over a lower res ips. You just have more room to work with, and it really isn't that much of a difference. I have the dell 2410 side by side with my 24" tn lcd, and I honesly would have picked up another 24" tn lcd for $200 cheaper. I do love the high res on the ips, but it isn't the same on the x230.

You would only want an ultrabook for its lightweight, portability, and aesthetics. If you want a powerhouse of a laptop, then look elsewhere.
UberN00b knows his stuff. Pro.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4749 posts
806 upvotes
UberN00b wrote:

well said +1
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Oct 10, 2004
235 posts
13 upvotes
From reading this thread it really seems the X1 Carbon is greatly preferred over the Zenbook prime.. I bought the zenbook for the 13.3" form factor and 1920x1080 IPS. Really starting to re-consider now...
Oct 27, 2008
62 posts
4 upvotes
Calgary
.. I couldn't disagree more. I'm not arguing the practicality. I'm arguing the value. You're paying ultrabook premium prices for non premium hardware.. Of which will likely be upgraded soon.

You'd rather have a higher res TN vs IPS. Fine. But that's bizarre that you should have to choose *at this price point*.

Again, you point out all ram is soldered in, in ultrabooks. Regardless, look at the price jump for a single dimm 8gb. Especially considering the chipset supports 1600mhz and the price difference between 1333 and 1600 is negligible, why didn't they include it? Bad factory logistics? Look, I'm certainly not arguing the actual practicality of these upgrades, more that they should just be included at this price point.

My point, again, is to wait. Upgrades will certainly come if Lenovo is to stay competitive.
Oct 26, 2009
730 posts
119 upvotes
Asdf
koko_konoko wrote:
Aug 27th, 2012 5:27 pm
From reading this thread it really seems the X1 Carbon is greatly preferred over the Zenbook prime.. I bought the zenbook for the 13.3" form factor and 1920x1080 IPS. Really starting to re-consider now...
I would also like to know this from people who have had experience with both. X1C, X230, UX31A or UX32VD? Portability isn't the end all, all four of these models seem fairly thin and light, especially compared to what used to be on the market.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1954 posts
381 upvotes
Waterloo
Shamb1es wrote:
Aug 27th, 2012 6:01 pm
I would also like to know this from people who have had experience with both. X1C, X230, UX31A or UX32VD? Portability isn't the end all, all four of these models seem fairly thin and light, especially compared to what used to be on the market.
Being able to custom configure for a US English keyboard is one of the reasons I chose (will be choosing) the X1C over the Zenbook Prime. Those bilingual keyboards are annoying!!

But I gotta admit the screen of the Zenbook Prime did look amazing in the store. Haven't seen the X1C screen personally, but reviews generally don't knock it.
Dec 11, 2009
461 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto, ON
After much consideration I got the Zenbook prime, UX31A in bestbuy for $999.

I Don't see how the X1 Carbon can be better than the UX31A ?

1080p IPS, 6+ hours of battery life, similar build quality.

What is better in the Carbon ?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50082 posts
15048 upvotes
gihad wrote:
Aug 27th, 2012 8:16 pm

Is the processor also the mobile/ultra version? Enjoy your ultrabook.
So many haters and naysayers here. It's almost as if the EV fans are not really EV fans for the sake of saving the planet, but rather just Tesla fans - Ted Schmitt (insideevs)
Oct 28, 2009
267 posts
26 upvotes
Victoria, BC
gihad wrote:

That's a nice computer too, I find the 1080 resolution to be too small on a 13.3" display. In fact I am currently using a Z11 @ 16x9 which I think is perfect, anything smaller than that my eyes get strained. I think the 14" 16x9 should be perfect. Not being an IPS display is a negative though.

Edit: Oh and apparently the trackpad on the UX31A is bad especially vis-a-vis the superb trackpad in the X1C
[OP]
Jul 1, 2004
90 posts
9 upvotes
gihad wrote:
Carbon! Ha Ha! Seriously though, I have never owned a Thinkpad before, but what I'm hoping for is a sturdy notebook that will still work as well 3 years from now as it does today. Maybe it is all marketing, but some product attributes, such as "reliability" or "ease of use" can be hard to quantify, but important. We will see.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1974 posts
470 upvotes
Gatineau
UberN00b wrote:

I agree to most of it. But then Zenbook Prime has a 1080p which you said you would take a high res over low res and the IPS screen is nice... Asus isn't a bad brand as well so the quality n durability should be ok... well it seems like Thinkpad has a very good reputation of quality though so I guess it depends if you want 1080p IPS or quality
Mar 16, 2008
316 posts
20 upvotes
gihad wrote:

Well... Carbon is made of carbon? :P

Seriously though, according to reviews touchpad on X1C beats even macbook's (and you also get trackpoint, which I like even better). Keyboard is supposedly also really good. Screen is 1" bigger & matte.

Would I like an IPS panel? Yes. Does it really matter? To me, comming from a 12" 1024x768 X61s - no.