Expired Hot Deals

[Lenovo Canada] Lenovo: Thinkpad X1 Carbon $1,036.62 (expired)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2012 1:42 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 27, 2008
967 posts
436 upvotes
Prince Edward County…
zoob wrote:
Aug 16th, 2012 7:51 am
thinkpad branding and build quality
]
With Lenovo, supposed "build quality" might be part of their branding strategy. Lot's of anecdotes from owners, but there is no data I'm aware of that shows Lenovo thinkpads are, in fact, more durable than other lappy's. The only independent study I know of, from 2009, shows them in the lower middle of the pack, failure rate after 3 years. Apple too, they fail more than many, despite their marketed perception as being "better".

I know Lenovo has responded to this study saying these failure stats are skewed by their "consumer" line of lappy's, but if that's true then those models have crazy failure rates, which would hardly be a wise corporate strategy for the company...

Mind you, this may have changed from 2009, anyone know of a substantial study done since? (And no, I don't mean your Uncle Billy's corporation which swears by Thinkpads)
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1893 posts
338 upvotes
Winterpeg
I used to have T61 with ibm logo
I thinkt this is before lenovo bought ibm

Its tough laptop

And has a basic 3yr warranty

How about this T series laptop?
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
2630 posts
317 upvotes
Lenovo didn't buy IBM, they bought IBM's PC group.
caveat_emptor wrote:
Aug 16th, 2012 8:11 am
I used to have T61 with ibm logo
I thinkt this is before lenovo bought ibm

Its tough laptop

And has a basic 3yr warranty

How about this T series laptop?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2003
4056 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto
I would offer my first hand experience with Thinkpads but then it would just be another anecdote lost in the intertubes.

Instead I will offer this as a supporting point for the Thinkpad branding/build. http://service.lenovo.partner-managemen ... layer.html

What other company offers easy to follow guides to open up and service your own laptop (should you require it for whatever reason)?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4749 posts
805 upvotes
is it just me or when I goto the lenovo page and try to buy the X1 it says its not available/no such product?
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Nov 24, 2009
173 posts
25 upvotes
+1, price error or RFD effect? :facepalm:
akz wrote:
Aug 16th, 2012 8:57 am
is it just me or when I goto the lenovo page and try to buy the X1 it says its not available/no such product?
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
2354 posts
1095 upvotes
Ontario
akz wrote:
Aug 16th, 2012 8:57 am
X1 is discontinued. X1 Carbon is alive and well .... try this link ->

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... 0003465%3A
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A GOOD MOTTO TO LIVE BY: "Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur" (It is a wise man who speaks little)
RFD MOTTO TO LIVE BY: Buy now, think later
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4749 posts
805 upvotes
awesome thanks.

since the ram is not upgradable is the SSD hard drive upgradable? 260+ for a upgrade from a 128 seems a bit steep especially when alot of ssds are coming down in price as of late. I think most people would be looking at the 2.6-2.8GHZ i5 models.
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
2354 posts
1095 upvotes
Ontario
akz wrote:
Aug 16th, 2012 9:49 am
awesome thanks.

since the ram is not upgradable is the SSD hard drive upgradable? 260+ for a upgrade from a 128 seems a bit steep especially when alot of ssds are coming down in price as of late. I think most people would be looking at the 2.6-2.8GHZ i5 models.
Some confusion regarding the SSD can be found here ->

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Th ... 961/page/3

[IMG]http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/image/serve ... bl-1&px=-1[/IMG]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A GOOD MOTTO TO LIVE BY: "Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur" (It is a wise man who speaks little)
RFD MOTTO TO LIVE BY: Buy now, think later
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
1616 posts
601 upvotes
Fantaz wrote:
Aug 16th, 2012 7:14 am
you are seriously comparing a tablet to a laptop?...
Hmmm changing the word of a machine but has same purpose doesn't help your non existent argument.

Ms surface also has an i5 CPU and 128gb ssd, it also has a keyboard.

The difference is this is made out of carbon while surface will have touch ability, lighter and will be much cheaper for relatively same hardware. Also comes with windows 8 pro to boot.

I'll wait until fall when surface is launched, by that time I am pretty sure the price of this 1.99lbs wannabe "ultra book" gets its price slashed to something more reasonable.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
1649 posts
350 upvotes
zoob wrote:
Aug 16th, 2012 8:51 am
I would offer my first hand experience with Thinkpads but then it would just be another anecdote lost in the intertubes.

Instead I will offer this as a supporting point for the Thinkpad branding/build. http://service.lenovo.partner-managemen ... layer.html

What other company offers easy to follow guides to open up and service your own laptop (should you require it for whatever reason)?
This is great, they made such complicated system so easy to service, as in one of the X1 Carbon video says : "This is called Engineering!"( :facepalm: for Dell)
this is where the price premium comes from, also does anyone think Carbon Fiber has the same price as engineering plastic?