Art and Photography

Lens for Olympic Torch bearer on road

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2010 12:25 am
Tags:
None

Poll: Which lens to have mounted?

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2005
2003 posts
201 upvotes

Lens for Olympic Torch bearer on road

Hi Folks,

With the Olympics coming shortly, the Olympic torch bearer will be running on a the road with people cheering on the side of the road. From a distance you'll be able to see them, and then they'll be 10 feet in front of you/beside you/past you. Idealy I'd like to have two camera bodies or be able to swap lens quickly but which lens would you choose to have mounted? My main concern is making sure I get everything in the shot and choose the better focal length to start with.
Audio & HT Enthusiast :cheesygri
Bose Secrets: Click HERE! :o
Zoom-Zoom! (MX-5 FTW!) :D
Canon Rebel XSI pics!

Canon 40D pics!
I started using the Mr. Sparkle avatar first! Others stole it from me. :lol:
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5855 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
I suggest you start with the 70-200, then quickly swap to to the 17-55. As they start to near you, as they're far away, then sun closer to you. Assuming you stand far away from where they start.

It's just one person running with the torch. You won't miss much for the duration of you switching lenses, assuming you don't switch too late, as you'll end up seeing the torch bearer's back.
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Feb 5, 2009
821 posts
55 upvotes
Well, from my experience of watching the torch go by, it would depend on what time of day they'll be passing by. It came past here around 7pm and it was dark out.
As well, remember there will be a little lead up to the runner actually getting there. i.e. if i recall correctly, RBC will have people handing out flags and tambourines, then there'll be an RBC float/truck and then a coke float/truck with ppl handing out stuff too. then the bus will come with the person who will be "running" (the daughter of a co worker got to 'run' with the torch, she actually walked, however the people I saw actually jogged.) with the torch for their stretch.

and where do you plan to be situated?, closer to the start of the run or later on? the people I watched only ran about 300-400 metres. or do you plan on running along side? ;-)
If you are going to be situated by the start of the person's run, I would use the 70-200 to get the one who will be handing off and then switch to the faster lens for the hand off..

have fun ;-)
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
Homestly, just go and enjoy it.

I did't bring my camera because I knew it's like a 4-5 second moment before they pass by you, and in those 4-5 seconds its very hard to actually take a normal shot, all you end up with is mediocore shots with police in yellow jackets in them.
Apr 20, 2005
460 posts
26 upvotes
Depending on the time of day, you should determine the lens you require.

I shot these about 7am, before sunrise and just used my 50mm 1.8, turned out pretty decent.

There were not too many people, so that helped too.

C

[IMG]http://instructionhub.com/images/torch_1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://instructionhub.com/images/torch_2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://instructionhub.com/images/torch_3.jpg[/IMG]
Dec 23, 2004
441 posts
7 upvotes
VI
I regretted using my cheaper lens, but that allowed me some room for adjustment, rather than my fixed 1.8. I still got some great shots, but had some motion blur that I wouldn't have had with the other lens. I was able to stand right next to a torchbearer (okay, she was my mom), and with the running, was on a sidewalk while she ran on the road.

It depends on where you are, but if you're early you should be able to get a spot that you like and that will work. Try and be at a transfer point, as it makes for some great shots.

I've got tickets for the Opening Ceremony, and am taking my cheapie camera just for fun... I have good seats, but man, I can't imagine how much conditions will be changing throughout the ceremony.
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14947 posts
1913 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
I would say go with the telephoto lens and just move yourself around to get the best shot.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2005
2003 posts
201 upvotes
Thanks for the recommendations guys. Luckily I had a couple of opportunities so I was able to use both. Here's what I've found.

70-200mm 4L IS: It was very crowded since I'm in a city. That made it difficult to see the torch bearer in the distance. (people stood far out on the street and got in the way) The only time I could see the bearer was when they were close to me so I didn't have much room to play with and things were a little too close/zoomed in. Great for capturing far off action on a stage.

17-55mm 2.8L IS: The 2.8 is really great when it was darker and I when was really close to the action. The shots are much more "personal" and you really have to fight to get a good position. (I had to run to position myself for many of my shots with this lens) You can fit so much more in and it's great for the group shot and general surroundings/atmostphere. The focus was much faster then the 70-200 which is also USM.

Overall: Crowded city, use the 17-55mm and get in close. Rural town, use the 70-200 4L IS.

Here's some of my shots. (white balance is off and no PP)
http://picasaweb.google.com/Kwantlen/Va ... 9803252786
Audio & HT Enthusiast :cheesygri
Bose Secrets: Click HERE! :o
Zoom-Zoom! (MX-5 FTW!) :D
Canon Rebel XSI pics!

Canon 40D pics!
I started using the Mr. Sparkle avatar first! Others stole it from me. :lol: