Shopping Discussion

Leon's crappy delivery service

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2018 8:24 am
Jul 18, 2018
2 posts

Leon's crappy delivery service

So I recently ordered a couch from Leon's for my new apartment. It's a pretty standard size, 84" long, so even though I have a basement unit with stairs leading down from the door at right angles, I didn't think it would be a problem in terms of moving it in. The previous tenant had an absolutely massive recliner in situ when I came to look at the unit, and the building is brand new with a wide entrance and relatively high ceiling. Anyways, the delivery people arrived today, took one measurement of the stairwell ceiling (89" high, less removable light fixture), and magically determined that the couch wouldn't fit. They refused to try moving it in and promised that they'd explain the situation to the customer service people. Lo and behold, Leon's calls me and offers me two equally crappy options, a) get a refund with a 25% restocking fee, or b) have the full cost returned in store credit. I feel cheated. I've waited 9 weeks for this essential piece of furniture and they don't have any other couches that interest me. The delivery people also had the cheek to comment that I chose the worst possible couch for the size of my apartment entrance, even though every other option they have available is the same length or longer. I'm inclined to believe they were just feeling lazy and couldn't be bothered. I don't see how they can penalize me for their failure to attempt the delivery.

Just felt the need to rant. Has anyone else had a similar experience and what did you end up doing?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
Hapened to me once but not with Leon’s. Just picked up something else at the retailer. They have your money and can set the policy. Mine was a sectional and there was a wall just ahead of the entrance so it had to be in and turn. I wasn’t there for the “attempted delivery”. I don’t shop at Leon’s for other reasons of bad experiences which were covered of in different threads.

You can fight it but time is not on your side when the other party is holding your money.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
thes9344 wrote: I'm inclined to believe they were just feeling lazy and couldn't be bothered.
Has anyone else had a similar experience and what did you end up doing?
Maybe grab a friend and bring it in yourself ... don't be lazy.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
In my past I gave the delivery guys a beer each and they not only got this mother of an appliance in, they also took the old one out and took the packaging away as well. I gave them each another beer afterwards and then they left. This wasn't with Leons though and is the reason why I always keep cold beverages around. Would love to name this bad boy of a company but don't want to get the delivery guys in trouble Smiling Face With Sunglasses.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2459 posts
682 upvotes
Ontario
You realize there are so many ppl who complain the delivery persons scratched or broke something. They didn't want to be held responsible. Pretty sure they could have just left it and you could have found someone to help you.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
If you bought it on a cc, just do the chargeback and be done with it.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
The previous tenant had an absolutely massive recliner in situ when I came to look at the unit.

If you are referring to those 2 or 3 Seat Reclining Sofas ... that are ideal for Tv / Movie Watching... sometimes all is not as it appears.

https://www.la-z-boy.com/p/sofas/asher- ... _/R-44P711

I know our Lazy Boy one comes in individual pieces that then are hooked / bolted together

Very few people realize this... and it’s not apparent to anyone sitting on it etc
Jul 18, 2018
2 posts
Syne wrote: If you bought it on a cc, just do the chargeback and be done with it.
I thought of this, but I'm not sure if the bank will be sympathetic. It sounds like a long process. Have you had success doing a chargeback in a similar situation?