Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Leon's

Leons - Frigidaire Chest Freezer (7.2 Cu. Ft.) - $249

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2013 12:40 pm
Sep 10, 2007
227 posts
82 upvotes
Calgary

[Leon's] Leons - Frigidaire Chest Freezer (7.2 Cu. Ft.) - $249

Hey guys

I've been in the market for a freezer for my new house over the last month and have found what I think is a pretty good deal. I originally wanted to buy from Costco due to their return policy but most of their smaller freezers have terrible reviews. We were in the market for one in the $200 range so Costco just wasn't going to work. My parents suggested Leons and sure enough they are having a special on their Frigidaire 7.2 Cu Ft chest freezer for $249. Paid $261 with tax.

It's a great little freezer, my parents have had one for a couple years and it's still going strong and works great. Plus Frigidaire doesn't seem to have the same reliability issues that Danby freezers seem to have.

Anyways, thought I'd post it, this is my first Hot Deal posting so be gentle haha

Jason
29 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
3146 posts
1489 upvotes
I'm on my third Danby: it's the only one that's a small upright freezer which is what I need in my Condo: I have no room for a chest freezer, but if there was an alternative to Danby I'd consider it. Thank heaven for Costco's excellent return policy and service.
There is no god. But it still feels good to be kind to people, animals, and the environment, so keep doing that.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
Fridgidaire makes quality appliances, my stove is going on 8 years and works amazing.
Dec 6, 2012
267 posts
164 upvotes
I've had a rebranded Frigidaire chest freezer for over 15 years. Mine looks about the same size as the one the OP posted about, and I paid more - so this looks like a really good deal.

I made sure to make it fit when I recently moved into my condo.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
1016 posts
260 upvotes
Ottawa
lorax1284 wrote: I'm on my third Danby: it's the only one that's a small upright freezer which is what I need in my Condo: I have no room for a chest freezer, but if there was an alternative to Danby I'd consider it. Thank heaven for Costco's excellent return policy and service.
Upright is the only way to go. With a chest freezer it's a pain in the butt to find stuff and you always end up with something buried (and eventually rendered inedible) on the bottom.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
3567 posts
3194 upvotes
CanuckGreg wrote: Upright is the only way to go. With a chest freezer it's a pain in the butt to find stuff and you always end up with something buried (and eventually rendered inedible) on the bottom.
+1

If you have ever owned a chest freezer and moved to an upright you will see the difference....there is no comparison.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
CanuckGreg wrote: Upright is the only way to go. With a chest freezer it's a pain in the butt to find stuff and you always end up with something buried (and eventually rendered inedible) on the bottom.
Yeah but provided you exercise some control over yourself in terms of organization you can fit much more in the chest.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2001
5275 posts
32 upvotes
Quote Originally Posted by CanuckGreg View Post

Upright is the only way to go. With a chest freezer it's a pain in the butt to find stuff and you always end up with something buried (and eventually rendered inedible) on the bottom.

Yeah but provided you exercise some control over yourself in terms of organization you can fit much more in the chest. {...}

Common sense is not that common but I agree that upright is the best. We are all hoarders to some degree. I can see most things in my Fridgedair 13 cuft or so. I love it. Because of a disability I don't drive. Come winter I freeze milk
plus all the other essentials.
:twisted:
Nov 26, 2003
572 posts
55 upvotes
How did you pay $261 with taxes in?

$249 + 13% HST ($32.37) = $281.37
Mar 26, 2012
332 posts
499 upvotes
Ottawa
BinaryJay wrote: Yeah but provided you exercise some control over yourself in terms of organization you can fit much more in the chest.
fyi, you use a lot more energy with uprights because the cold air flows out to the floor each time you open the door, with chests, the cold air stays sitting inside
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36619 upvotes
Scarborough
m4dcap wrote: fyi, you use a lot more energy with uprights because the cold air flows out to the floor each time you open the door, with chests, the cold air stays sitting inside
This is what I heard too and why I stick with a chest freezer. We have stuff that needs to stay really cold and it wouldn't be efficient in an upright since we use the freezer a lot. Uprights are definitely more convenient for access and taking up less room though.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
3567 posts
3194 upvotes
Lukus wrote: How did you pay $261 with taxes in?

$249 + 13% HST ($32.37) = $281.37
OP is in Calgary
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1983 posts
389 upvotes
Aurora
lightsout56 wrote: +1

If you have ever owned a chest freezer and moved to an upright you will see the difference....there is no comparison.
Aren't chest freezers more efficient (less air loss when opening the door) and I would imagine more comfortable that you don't have to bed over to see what's at the bottom?

Just wondering because I have a chest freezer now, but the place I'm moving into has an upright, and I'm not sure which to keep.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2005
1330 posts
409 upvotes
Toronto
Is this freezer Energy Star?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
1016 posts
260 upvotes
Ottawa
m4dcap wrote: fyi, you use a lot more energy with uprights because the cold air flows out to the floor each time you open the door, with chests, the cold air stays sitting inside
I'll buy that argument, but unless you're opening your freezer several times/day, my guess is we're talking about pennies per month.

Chest freezers are very popular, so they must work well for some people, but I won't go back. Buy whatever suits you best.
Oct 23, 2011
369 posts
501 upvotes
Kirkland, QC
I don't trust Leon's or the Brick.. their salespeople are like vultures
Dec 2, 2006
252 posts
31 upvotes
GTA West
lightsout56 wrote: +1

After extensive research, I kept hearing the same things and will be sticking with a chest freezer. Although more convenient, uprights are less efficient and food suffers from drying/freezer burn.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
1997 posts
545 upvotes
Markham
This thing is back on sale until Oct 6th. Is it a good buy, or not? Would it fit in a mid-sized SUV? There doesn't appear to be free shipping this time around...
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Solsearchin1 wrote: Fridgidaire makes quality appliances, my stove is going on 8 years and works amazing.
This is really off topic, but I'm surprised people would think 8 years for a stove is some kind of miracle... do they even break? I mean, stoves are one of those things that consist of basically nothing that can break... the stove at my grandmother's house is probably 60+ years old.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2009
1458 posts
286 upvotes
Renous
Modern stoves with the digital crap in the back are constantly fizzling out. I've had to replace the circuit board in mine once (only after 4 years), and that will probably be the reason it will be replaced (if it goes again). It seems that old adage 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it', doesn't apply to appliances :facepalm:
Reserved for future time travellers

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)