• Jan 1st, 2018 5:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2006 posts
993 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Let's start with your email address...

Has anyone noticed how many shops do it (Journey's, Bentley, Call it Spring to make a few) when you are at the till?

I get into and argument every time, which tends to get heated. Yesterday I left the merchandise at Bentley and asked them to shove it.

Is it just me who gets angry as all get out when they try to get your email address. It's not even the spam that bothers me (I can easily give a fake address), it's the fact that it wastes time, and makes it sound like email is necessary to buy an item. I just feels like they're mocking me (let's start with your....). How about no!
61 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11731 posts
5167 upvotes
Toronto
canoek wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 10:07 am
Has anyone noticed how many shops do it (Journey's, Bentley, Call it Spring to make a few) when you are at the till?

I get into and argument every time, which tends to get heated. Yesterday I left the merchandise at Bentley and asked them to shove it.

Is it just me who gets angry as all get out when they try to get your email address. It's not even the spam that bothers me (I can easily give a fake address), it's the fact that it wastes time, and makes it sound like email is necessary to buy an item. I just feels like they're mocking me (let's start with your....). How about no!
No need for an argument, simply say "no thanks".

It's not like they won't let you pay without giving an email address.
Sep 12, 2013
30 posts
42 upvotes
KANATA
Just say no and complete the purchase?
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11514 posts
6322 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Just tell them you live in the stone ages and you don't believe in the in-ter-net.

Plus it's not the cashiers you should be telling them to shove it, it should be the Corporation HQ....don't like it, call them and speak with their CEO.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
10159 posts
7462 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
NO is the word if you don’t want to participate

Or the trustworthy... Sorry, don’t have one. That always is fun for getting a reaction out of someone

And ya it isn’t the cashier being nosy it is definitely HQ who wants to ram your inbox full of flyers.. junk mail has just moved from your doorstep mailbox to your desktop one

Which means they’ve gained access now to INSIDE YOUR HOUSE

Don’t open the door... just say NO THANKS
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2006 posts
993 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Swerny wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 10:17 am
No need for an argument, simply say "no thanks".

It's not like they won't let you pay without giving an email address.
Oh I say that, but it's how it's worded that somehow makes me angry "let's start with your". No idea why, but my brain finds that wording very insulting. Maybe it's just me then.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9838 posts
6195 upvotes
Edmonton
canoek wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 10:32 am
Oh I say that, but it's how it's worded that somehow makes me angry "let's start with your". No idea why, but my brain finds that wording very insulting. Maybe it's just me then.
You're the only one responsible for how you chose to interpret and react to that innocuous statement. If you want to take offense at it, you can. If you want to say "No thanks" and go on with a smile on your face, you can do that too.

I doubt the sales person gets anything special out of the exchange, or is doing it out of malice.

C
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16658 posts
9012 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 10:20 am
Just tell them you live in the stone ages and you don't believe in the in-ter-net.
I just politely give them "my" e-mail address: nospam@spam.no.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24838 posts
5118 upvotes
Not sure why this turns into an "argument" for you, unless you're not a very pleasant person. Yes many retailers do it and the cashiers are just doing their job. Yes I've refused many times, they have a refusal button and can proceed with the sale. There's no need for an argument.

The reality is nobody even uses email outside of work anymore. I haven't had a personal email in years... 97% of emails are from retailers (online and B&M); 1% emails from companies sending you your bill/invoice (whether it's your cable/phone/internet bill, or credit card, or otherwise); another 1% from spam; and 1% that fall under "other" but are almost certainly not any personal communication--that's all done via text or social media these days and social media is basically just people hitting the "like" if you consider that communication. Get used to it--email is dead.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5977 posts
144 upvotes
op probably was bored and wanted an argument to spice up the day.
images are not permitted in sigs
Aug 24, 2014
187 posts
169 upvotes
Ah. So you must be one of "those" customers.
You know what I mean if you ever worked in retails
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2605 posts
1925 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 10:36 am
You're the only one responsible for how you chose to interpret and react to that innocuous statement. If you want to take offense at it, you can. If you want to say "No thanks" and go on with a smile on your face, you can do that too.

I doubt the sales person gets anything special out of the exchange, or is doing it out of malice.

C
Use to be retail workers were evaluated against their sales totals. Not anymore. Now they are evaluated against the number of email addresses they collect, the number of credit applications they complete, the number of postal codes collected, the number of online orders they collect, or the number of loyalty cards they sign up.

When you are evaluated against marketing goals and not sales goals, is it any wonder that retailers are failing?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4136 posts
745 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
NumberThree wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 1:05 pm
When asked for an addy it can be a lot of fun. Your imagination is the limit. You can say,
"Imsingle@myhouse.com",
"Ilikeyoureyes@gmail.com",
"areyoufreetonight@mylove.com",
"youarereallypretty@mylife.com"
and my favorite which puts a smile to all the women I said it to, "Iloveyou@gmail.com" .
LOL I should try that.
May 28, 2012
10302 posts
2444 upvotes
Saskatoon
It's like when you are asked for your postal code or if you want their credit card. Just say no and don't get riled up about it. If it truly offends you, stop shopping there or write a comment to head office.