Let's start with your email address...

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2018 5:05 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12621 posts
1969 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Take a chill pill! Reserve your anger for all the aggressive panhandlers on the street, like I do!
De gustibus non est disputandum
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
75 posts
57 upvotes
dmxlite wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 1:50 pm
LOL I should try that.
It is a lot more fun than that once you realize that he/she will have to type whatever you say... ;)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8825 posts
2241 upvotes
London
Was this at a tire shop? I hear alot of stories about those places.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12621 posts
1969 upvotes
City of Vancouver
NumberThree wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 3:38 pm
It is a lot more fun than that once you realize that he/she will have to type whatever you say... ;)
What is my postal code?
H0H 0H0
De gustibus non est disputandum
Jan 11, 2009
119 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
I have always politely declined giving out my email and no cashier has ever made a fuss or given me attitude because of it. Not sure why OP is having such a hard time with it.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1610 posts
685 upvotes
Hamilton
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 10:20 am
Just tell them you live in the stone ages and you don't believe in the in-ter-net.

Plus it's not the cashiers you should be telling them to shove it, it should be the Corporation HQ....don't like it, call them and speak with their CEO.
I find intraweb works better...
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3187 posts
1888 upvotes
Vancouver
Just say "sorry i'm not interested in giving out my email address". If they get pushy then you could always leave or give some fake email address (if you really want to make the purchase).

Plus honestly who doesn't have multiple email address these days? I've had probably 4+ email address since highschool (school, friends, family/close friends, gaming)... that increased once i hit university including 2 just for ads/coupons/spam/shopping/etc (aka never check unless im looking for a coupon).
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3355 posts
2549 upvotes
First world problems. Do you get this upset when Best Buy pitches the extended warranty? Or when restaurant servers upsell side dishes or alcoholic drinks? Same thing. Get over yourself.
Friendly reminder: South Street is the second coming of Licks, and Works Burger is a bad ripoff of Red Robin put out by those purveyors of garbage, MTY Shit Restaurants Group.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18709 posts
3327 upvotes
GTA West
Cashiers probably hate asking for this stuff as much as you hate being asked. Don't get mad at the cashier when they ask for email, postal code, charitable donations, etc. It's the store management that deserves your anger.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16568 posts
8928 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 8:48 am
Don't get mad at the cashier when they ask for email, postal code, charitable donations, etc.
I often smile and say something like, "I'll give you mine if you give me yours ;) " Or in the case of charity donations, "Sure, if you'll match my donation ;) "

No one has yet to take me up on any of these offers. I wonder why?
It's the store management that deserves your anger.
Based on their reaction I'll point out that my beef is with store policies/management, not with the sales clerk personally.

As you say, they're forced into spouting the party line and often feel uncomfortable about the situation. I've found that in many customer service situations, whether in person or on the phone, it can help gain the other party's empathy and hopefully get a better resolution by pointing this out.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2807 posts
753 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
canoek wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 10:07 am
I get into and argument every time, which tends to get heated. Yesterday I left the merchandise at Bentley and asked them to shove it.
It's customers like this that make the cashier's job miserable. People who easily get angry are either faking it for effect or they need help.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2259 posts
745 upvotes
North York
Wow and I thought people who were insulted by being asked for a donation were crazy.

Smile, say nah, and they continue the transaction. The cashier couldn't give 2 shits and would prefer to not bother clicking in terrier_lover69@hotmail.com if they don't have to.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2259 posts
745 upvotes
North York
bylo wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 9:14 am
I often smile and say something like, "I'll give you mine if you give me yours ;) " Or in the case of charity donations, "Sure, if you'll match my donation ;) "
this is a really good idea. if everyone started saying "will the store match my donation?" maybe we'd actually have charities worth being proud of and donating to. i could probably live without the tax receipt if i knew the store was chipping in the same amount.