• Jan 1st, 2018 5:05 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
16163 posts
3259 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 10:36 am
You're the only one responsible for how you chose to interpret and react to that innocuous statement. If you want to take offense at it, you can. If you want to say "No thanks" and go on with a smile on your face, you can do that too.

I doubt the sales person gets anything special out of the exchange, or is doing it out of malice.

C
They use to ask. It's the language.
Probably a poor associate as opposed to the store's take on having your e-mail.

Many of us say no or I have a spammy inbox for these situations.
RedFlagDeals addict
Nov 18, 2015
905 posts
723 upvotes
Unionville, ON
The next thread is going to be... "Let's start with Hi, how are you?"

The cashier starts off with, "Hi, how are you?"... WOW, why is the cashier even pretend to care, can they just cash out my stuff without saying anything? Gwad damnn fake people...
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
75 posts
57 upvotes
wartune123 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 3:12 pm
The next thread is going to be... "Let's start with Hi, how are you?"

The cashier starts off with, "Hi, how are you?"... WOW, why is the cashier even pretend to care, can they just cash out my stuff without saying anything? Gwad damnn fake people...
That's one of the reasons I love self checkout; the computer isn't fake ;) And I like the voice of the woman, just like my Garmin.
Jan 11, 2009
119 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
NumberThree wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 3:27 pm
That's one of the reasons I love self checkout; the computer isn't fake ;) And I like the voice of the woman, just like my Garmin.
You obviously haven't used the self checkouts at SDM
Jan 3, 2017
316 posts
229 upvotes
Marzipan wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 10:45 am
It's customers like this that make the cashier's job miserable. People who easily get angry are either faking it for effect or they need help.
This. It's not argument worthy and it's not even close. Don't take out your bad day frustrations on the poor min wage employee doing what she is told to do.
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
75 posts
57 upvotes
monsoon66 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 4:08 pm
You obviously haven't used the self checkouts at SDM
You are correct. I never shop at SDM. Haven't set foot in such store in 10+ years. I used to call them Stealers Drug Mart because of their high prices.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3365 posts
2563 upvotes
fryguy1987 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 4:10 pm
This. It's not argument worthy and it's not even close. Don't take out your bad day frustrations on the poor min wage employee doing what she is told to do.
And to add to this, don't think you're somehow smart, funny, clever etc when you snap back with some insulting wisecrack you think you came up with. Guess what, the employee already heard that one 100 times before and if he/she could get away with it without getting fired, already has several dozen nasty comebacks he/she could have used to put you back in your place.
Friendly reminder: South Street is the second coming of Licks, and Works Burger is a bad ripoff of Red Robin put out by those purveyors of garbage, MTY Shit Restaurants Group.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
10152 posts
7460 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
NumberThree wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 4:25 pm
You are correct. I never shop at SDM. Haven't set foot in such store in 10+ years. I used to call them Stealers Drug Mart because of their high prices.
Lol, clearly you are missing out.

Cause if anything the one who feels like they are stealing these days are the Customers working the SDM Optimum Program to the max
Buy items on sale, on 20x the Points Days / Weekends (store wide advertised or personal couponed)
Redeem points on Bonus Redemption Events that give back Points
And see returns on your money spent at the store in the 25% to 50% range
Crazy... it’s like those ikea commercials with the wife running across the parking lot screaming “start the car”
My SO cannot believe how crazy it is to get back so much in FREE Stuff each year

Now anyone paying full price, and not part of Optimum... or basically NOT PAYING ATTENTION
Then ya, they are paying way too much to shop there
It is indeed cause of them no doubt I (and other RFDers) see such high returns
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3854 posts
509 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think it's too complicated.

"May I have your e-mail address?" --> "Sorry, I'd rather not give it out."
"And your postal code?" --> Give them your postal code with the last digit or two changed. They'll get the demographic information they need.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18734 posts
3359 upvotes
GTA West
Come to think of it, I actually quite like the email feature at Home Depot. You can enter it in the payment terminal, and then it is associated with your card and remembered for future purchases. They send the receipt by email. It's just too convenient!
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16635 posts
8986 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 10:49 am
Come to think of it, I actually quite like the email feature at Home Depot. You can enter it in the payment terminal, and then it is associated with your card and remembered for future purchases. They send the receipt by email. It's just too convenient!
That's a different issue. When HD's self-checkout requests your e-mail address it tells you up front how they'll use it and provide a useful benefit, i.e. a receipt you'll conveniently be able to access from your phone for years into the future.

The human sales drones at other stores don't provide that information or any other benefit. They just ask and expect you to give it too them.
veni, vidi, Visa
Aug 16, 2011
839 posts
246 upvotes
Kitchener
NumberThree wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 1:05 pm
When asked for an addy it can be a lot of fun. Your imagination is the limit. You can say,
"Imsingle@myhouse.com",
"Ilikeyoureyes@gmail.com",
"areyoufreetonight@mylove.com",
"youarereallypretty@mylife.com"
and my favorite which puts a smile to all the women I said it to, "Iloveyou@gmail.com" .
cashiers get paid to smile, don't mistake it for what it isn't. Customers say the stupidest things to you when you work retail and customer service. We smile because we aren't allowed to say what we are actually thinking.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1662 posts
937 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
If this is the biggest thing for me to get upset about, I have and a good day. I also hate giving out my email. I just say ‘I don’t give out that information’. 99% of the time the cashier has done their job (yes, some get evaluated on this). The occasion where they don’t accept me answer and keep pushing, i reply ‘ I have given you my answer, and appreciate you respect and stop’.

It not hard to politely say no.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
75 posts
57 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 9:41 am
Lol, clearly you are missing out.

Cause if anything the one who feels like they are stealing these days are the Customers working the SDM Optimum Program to the max
Buy items on sale, on 20x the Points Days / Weekends (store wide advertised or personal couponed)
Redeem points on Bonus Redemption Events that give back Points
And see returns on your money spent at the store in the 25% to 50% range
Crazy... it’s like those ikea commercials with the wife running across the parking lot screaming “start the car”
My SO cannot believe how crazy it is to get back so much in FREE Stuff each year

Now anyone paying full price, and not part of Optimum... or basically NOT PAYING ATTENTION
Then ya, they are paying way too much to shop there
It is indeed cause of them no doubt I (and other RFDers) see such high returns
Thanks for the tip, but I've never cared about points from any merchants/businesses. I don't find happiness thru materialism.