• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2018 11:43 am
[OP]
Apr 4, 2017
600 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto

Letter from TD about CRA? LEGIT?

I just for letter from TD IN regards to tax information about my TD ACCOUNT.

Is this legit? I don't have any residence outside Canada.
Images
  • FD744280-2505-4BF5-A785-30A8BEA06C26.jpeg
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2105 posts
875 upvotes
Winnipeg
Yes... Two of my banks have asked me to complete these forms
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2539 posts
480 upvotes
Ottawa
The best bet would be to bring a copy of the letter to a branch and you can sit down with one of the advisors and/or their manager to get this resolved.

If you do plan to call the number on the letter, then do a google check to see if the number seems valid. If unsure, call EasyLine and ask them to check if the letter/number is real, and to forward you over to that department.
May 16, 2017
268 posts
246 upvotes
ysl5710 wrote:
May 16th, 2018 6:52 pm
I just for letter from TD IN regards to tax information about my TD ACCOUNT.

Is this legit? I don't have any residence outside Canada.
Perhaps not but you may have US financial transactions (US Bank accounts, i.e. a TD Bank (US) account that is missing the W8BEN form) or similar that have been associated with your TD account or anything that might associate a US address with you.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3874 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, it's legit. Just answer the questions and send it back. It's very very standard "bank covering their backside" behaviour. It doesn't mean you are being investigated.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
1321 posts
717 upvotes
Montreal
This is being done to apply the new CRS rules. Your bank information will be sent to the other relevant governments (ie where revenue Canada believes you reside).

Hopefully you are in compliance with these other government's tax rules.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
7827 posts
1386 upvotes
Ontario
Akitakara wrote:
May 16th, 2018 7:14 pm
The best bet would be to bring a copy of the letter to a branch and you can sit down with one of the advisors and/or their manager to get this resolved.

If you do plan to call the number on the letter, then do a google check to see if the number seems valid. If unsure, call EasyLine and ask them to check if the letter/number is real, and to forward you over to that department.
Nothing wrong with being paranoid about this, it's only prudent nowadays. I won't even bother with numbers provided on forms, call-display numbers, etc. I will call the general number, as you suggested, and see if they have the same information on their end. Got a call from CRA and I politely said I won't answer any questions because I can't verify if this is a genuine call or not. They were OK with that, and I called CRA directly and finished with a new rep.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)