• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2017 8:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11137 posts
669 upvotes

Letting plate sticker expire intentionally

I tried searching for this topic online, but all I came across was scenarios about driving with an expired sticker, which is the opposite of what I'm thinking of doing.

Let's say you have two cars - a summer car and a winter beater. If my birthday is in October, for example, then is it possible to do this?

- Both cars are insured year round.
- Both stickers expire in October.
- When October rolls around, I renew the winter beater. This means I pay a full year for the winter sticker. Summer sticker remains expired.
- When April rolls around, I renew the summer sticker. This gets prorated to 6 months, so I only pay half price.
- In total, I only pay the price of 1.5 stickers for two cars.

Does this work?
20 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11214 posts
1333 upvotes
U can afford to insure both cars. Why not drive both??? U should insure 1 car at a car instead than worry about the yearly sticker price......
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11137 posts
669 upvotes
qaz393 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 9:44 pm
U can afford to insure both cars. Why not drive both??? U should insure 1 car at a car instead than worry about the yearly sticker price......
That doesn't answer the question at all. It doesn't really matter whether I can afford it or not. I just want to know if this is legal.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20834 posts
1844 upvotes
As long as you're not driving it or parking it on the road.

Why not just switch the plate? A permit is something like $10, perhaps more after the recent increases but not much.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4577 posts
792 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Don't see an issue with it. As long as you don't drive without a valid sticker or registration you wouldn't get a ticket. You don't have to register a vehicle that you're not actively operating. I can't speak for your province but here registrations aren't that expensive so most people don't bother doing that. It's also good to let your vehicle go for a spin every now and then so that the fluids can circulate.

Here in fact you can move one license plate across multiple vehicles so what some people do is that they only pay for 1 plate and 1 insurance at a time. Put plate and insurance on summer car in summer/fall. Then, move the plate and insurance to winter and spring car. Back in the day when I stopped driving the pickup I just moved the plate to the new 335i cabrio I bought and got it insurance. Now some idiot t-boned that one and now I'm told to take off that plate and put it on whatever I drive next.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11137 posts
669 upvotes
Kasakato wrote:
May 18th, 2017 10:14 pm
As long as you're not driving it or parking it on the road.

Why not just switch the plate? A permit is something like $10, perhaps more after the recent increases but not much.
I didn't know you can switch plates around like that. Isn't it linked to your ownership and insurance?
Jul 13, 2007
529 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
Does not work in Ontario. You will have to pay back to the date of expiry unless you de-register/deplate the car.
Are you sure you wish to carry out this operation? You betcha.
Jul 14, 2002
918 posts
257 upvotes
board123 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 9:31 pm
I tried searching for this topic online, but all I came across was scenarios about driving with an expired sticker, which is the opposite of what I'm thinking of doing.

Let's say you have two cars - a summer car and a winter beater. If my birthday is in October, for example, then is it possible to do this?

- Both cars are insured year round.
- Both stickers expire in October.
- When October rolls around, I renew the winter beater. This means I pay a full year for the winter sticker. Summer sticker remains expired.
- When April rolls around, I renew the summer sticker. This gets prorated to 6 months, so I only pay half price.
- In total, I only pay the price of 1.5 stickers for two cars.

Does this work?
yes and no.
i did this twice and once got charged for the full year, even after explaning the situation to the d&v personnel.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7334 posts
1208 upvotes
What's the difference between insurance and sticker? Sorry I'm from BC land where the govt does everything and everything is rolled into 1 thing.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24384 posts
2441 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Messerschmitt wrote:
May 19th, 2017 12:17 am
What's the difference between insurance and sticker? Sorry I'm from BC land where the govt does everything and everything is rolled into 1 thing.
The sticker validates the plates, provincial fee

Insurance is for liability against accidents. Unlike BC, in Ontario, these are provided by independent insurance companies and fees are outrageous.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
5732 posts
1113 upvotes
aGincourt
If you buy a sticker later in the year you still pay full price, I was out the country for business and renewed my expired May sticker in December and they still charged me $120 for 6 months. You can't get a discount, but you can get a partial refund if you sell your car and return your plates with some months left on them.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7313 posts
1042 upvotes
You used to be able to do that in ON, so if your birthday fell at the right time you could save a few bucks on a motorcycle or summer car sticker, but coudn't if your birthday wasn't in winter. Bu they put an end to that. My birthday was in JAn, so I wouldnt renew the bike. Then there suddenly was a really nice sunday and i wanted to take the bike out...and blew more then I ever saved on the ticket I got
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9301 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto
board123 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 10:07 pm
That doesn't answer the question at all. It doesn't really matter whether I can afford it or not. I just want to know if this is legal.
You still got to 'back' pay. So no, you don't get some discount for it. I know how you feel though, since I had a summer car and hated paying for the full year.
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14315 posts
1025 upvotes
Apologies to OP for the hijack but I have a related question regarding plates.

The past 3 winters has done a number on my rear plates. Number is still very visible but parts of the plates paint has eroded and revealed the enamel? Is it against the law to drive around if the plate is in a state of disrepute?
Apr 30, 2015
935 posts
243 upvotes
East York, ON
Supercooled wrote:
May 20th, 2017 2:18 am
Apologies to OP for the hijack but I have a related question regarding plates.

The past 3 winters has done a number on my rear plates. Number is still very visible but parts of the plates paint has eroded and revealed the enamel? Is it against the law to drive around if the plate is in a state of disrepute?
How old is your plate? MTO offers a 5yr warranty. And if it's an effected B series plate they may replace it regardless.

I'm guessing you're in ON?