Lexus NX300 vs Acura RDX Crash Test Results

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2018 9:15 am
May 23, 2017
234 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto

Lexus NX300 vs Acura RDX Crash Test Results

Lexus NX300 scores a 4 stars rating in the NHTSA frontal crash test and scores 5 stars in the rest of the NHTSA crash ratings. Acura RDX scores 5 stars in all the NHTSA crash ratings. Is that a significant result to take into consideration when comparing the two crossovers?

Thanks.
14 replies
Sep 20, 2010
52 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
Difference by 1 star can be huge, a difference of escaping with just bruises and scrapes or years of physio and headaches but having that there are many variables. Rating of 4 is average, 5 is above.

Be mindful that all ratings are based on different classes/weight, meaning 5 star SUV will be safer then 5 star compact car. Try to watch some videos and compare for yourself.

Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4233 posts
1220 upvotes
Sure. Safety is my first priority. I don't want anything happens to me and my family that only leave a memory after. Drive safe.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
If your main goal is to buy a car and then crash it into something, then yes, this is probably of very high importance. However if not, then first focus on things that will keep you out of an accident to begin with like braking and handling performance. Then what safety features it has. Because, you know what's better than being in crash in a vehicle with a 5-star safety rating? Not being in a crash to begin with.

If these things end up being more or less the same, then the crash safety differences may come into play a bit more. Surely not all collisions can be avoided either (there are plenty of morons on the road to make such situations unavoidable) but apart from having huge differences in crash safety though, I wouldn't put too much focus on that before real safety features.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
3132 posts
1307 upvotes
Until some one hit you, eh?
ES_Revenge wrote: If your main goal is to buy a car and then crash it into something, then yes, this is probably of very high importance. However if not, then first focus on things that will keep you out of an accident to begin with like braking and handling performance. Then what safety features it has. Because, you know what's better than being in crash in a vehicle with a 5-star safety rating? Not being in a crash to begin with.

If these things end up being more or less the same, then the crash safety differences may come into play a bit more. Surely not all collisions can be avoided either (there are plenty of morons on the road to make such situations unavoidable) but apart from having huge differences in crash safety though, I wouldn't put too much focus on that before real safety features.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1704 posts
1824 upvotes
Ottawa
ES_Revenge wrote: If your main goal is to buy a car and then crash it into something, then yes, this is probably of very high importance. However if not, then first focus on things that will keep you out of an accident to begin with like braking and handling performance. Then what safety features it has. Because, you know what's better than being in crash in a vehicle with a 5-star safety rating? Not being in a crash to begin with.

Yes, but I want the benefits of BOTH active and passive safety features. They're all of equal importance imo.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
4497 posts
725 upvotes
Get a real suv/truck and you will be safe. Just be aware on the road... Drive safe boys/girls
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Better yet don’t transport kids anywhere period. Safest is at home.
May 23, 2017
234 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto

Which of these 2 cars will keep you out of an accident to begin with, Lexus NX300 or Acura RDX ?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5264 posts
2270 upvotes
Vancouver
treksub wrote: These two links below are very detailed and informative:

-This link gives you the Safest 1% Passenger Vehicles for Model-Years 2016–2018, http://www.informedforlife.org/

-This link gives you Safety Evaluations and Ratings for 2011–2018 Vehicles
http://www.informedforlife.org/demos/FC ... 202018.pdf
Interesting..... has the Subaru Outback as "LEAST SAFE 25% higher driver fatality risk" even though it has a NHSTA 5 rating and IIHS Top Rating and best headlights in the class. This is due its' weight or multi vehicle crash rating of 1.23. What the ?????????

I don't understand how it can be rated lower than the Honda CR-V which has a multi vehicle crash rating of 1.02.

May 23, 2017
234 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
lichda wrote: IIHS rates Front crash prevention, and it appears that both cars have a SUPERIOR rating with Lexus NX has a slightly higher rating at 6 points vs Acura RDX 5 points if you care at all :)
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... r-suv/2018
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... r-suv/2018
From the links above, if you click on "PRINT FULL REPORT FOR THIS VEHICLE", you get a very detailed report with all kinds of stats. I have included the links below

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... print-view
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicl ... print-view
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
NewsyL wrote: Interesting..... has the Subaru Outback as "LEAST SAFE 25% higher driver fatality risk" even though it has a NHSTA 5 rating and IIHS Top Rating and best headlights in the class. This is due its' weight or multi vehicle crash rating of 1.23. What the ?????????

I don't understand how it can be rated lower than the Honda CR-V which has a multi vehicle crash rating of 1.02.

Yeah the way they "grade" a car is pretty atrocious. You can have a car pass all the safety tests...but if its not heavy enough for them its "least safe". Kia Optima gets a great grade in everything including head lights...its "least safe" yet its stable mate the Sorento is a bit worse on roll over, and a bit worse on head lights but because its heavier its "safest".
- Jegan V
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
treksub wrote: Which of these 2 cars will keep you out of an accident to begin with, Lexus NX300 or Acura RDX ?
It seems like they are actually pretty even in performance, however isn't there a new RDX for MY19? I don't think that has been reviewed yet (I couldn't find any though granted I didn't look that hard). If we're talking about the next gen RDX, it's kind of tough to say at this point.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)