• Jun 19th, 2017 11:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2161 posts
660 upvotes
Toronto

LF a CDN email provider - suggestions?

I'm looking for a Canadian email provider - who would you suggest?
  • Canadian as in provided and stored in Canada to limit the prying eyes of our Amerifriends
  • Non ISP so I can change ISP's without having to change everything if I change ISP's
  • Something I can use to set up all my accounts with
  • cost effective
12 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2161 posts
660 upvotes
Toronto
rgmzgrrr wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 8:28 pm
You might want to check out www.ncf.ca
On first glance that might do it. I'll have to read more about their policies.
How tight are they about being in the Ottawa area?
Gee wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 8:40 pm
I think he is looking for someone to host his email
I'm not sure what you mean by that Gee.
Isn't everybody that provides an email server a host? I don't need something that gives me a myname@mydomain.com kinda thing.

I essentially want an email account that is not linked to an ISP, an employer or an educational institution. They all change as you move around and go through life. Something I can use to administer google, microsoft and any other accounts from that requires an existing email address in the first place.

How do you get an email address without an email address in the first place?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23572 posts
2184 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ROYinTO wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 12:16 am
I'm not sure what you mean by that Gee.
Isn't everybody that provides an email server a host? I don't need something that gives me a myname@mydomain.com kinda thing.
I misunderstood. I thought you were looking to host your own domain with a Canadian provider.

You can also use Toronto Free Net

http://www.torfree.net/menu/account-util.html
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9611 posts
935 upvotes
Basically, the op wants a free email service provider that's in canada.

Haven't seen many of those, good luck to your search.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2161 posts
660 upvotes
Toronto
sexyj wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 12:17 pm
Basically, the op wants a free email service provider that's in canada.
Free is not a requirement. Being a RFD member, I am looking for good value.

Thanks for the heads up to DirectHosting; I might be able to do something with that and set up a website for my business.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9611 posts
935 upvotes
The issue here is since you don't need a custom domain email, that defaults back to a "free" provider.

Check this thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comment ... _services/
ROYinTO wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 12:48 pm
Free is not a requirement. Being a RFD member, I am looking for good value.

Thanks for the heads up to DirectHosting; I might be able to do something with that and set up a website for my business.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Jan 10, 2017
259 posts
80 upvotes
GTA
Protonmail is not a Canadian provider but is the most secure and locked down email provider out there so far. Their own servers are in a mountain if that is a feature you are looking for additionally.
Information Security Analyst
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2723 posts
199 upvotes
Nations Capital
I like http://www.namespro.ca/

Their a CDN company, but I have no idea if their servers are located in Canada or not.

But their email hosting is very reliable and they are very responsive if you have a problem.

You do need to have a domain name to use them though.
Now Heat ENABLED :)
-----------
Who Are You? - What Do You Want? - Why Are You Here? - Where Are You Going?
Jan 10, 2017
259 posts
80 upvotes
GTA
Calmuser wrote:
Jun 19th, 2017 9:44 pm
I like http://www.namespro.ca/

Their a CDN company, but I have no idea if their servers are located in Canada or not.

But their email hosting is very reliable and they are very responsive if you have a problem.

You do need to have a domain name to use them though.
Frontend is definitely Canadian servers, but where or what service they are using to store your email is the other question.
Information Security Analyst