any experienced priceline users?

any locals got advice?

thanks.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2002
3178 posts
423 upvotes
I booked Novotel for $100 + taxes for that weekend. wanna share? :)
Shredder59 wrote:any tips?

any locals got advice?

thanks.
Nov 26, 2003
57 posts
1 upvote
Have you checked out www.betterbidding.com for some hints on PriceLine/HotWire. Slide down to the "Canada" section - you should be able to get something reasonable ..... I usually get a 2-star in Kanata for less than $50 (Canadian), tax included with breakfast and high-speed access.

Your mileage may vary ....

Jer

PS Nicolas Street Hostel or the YMCA near Elgin are also pretty reasonable (and not far from downtown). Also maybe the University residences (U of O downtown, Carleton a little further out).
Shredder59 wrote:any tips?

any locals got advice?

thanks.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
3519 posts
435 upvotes
Calgary
I just booked Novotel Ottawa (3.5* Downtown) for $59 USD for May 30 to June 1 thru Hotwire.

I just checked May 13-15, it's now $64 USD. Check frequently, prices fluctuate between $59 to $65 through out the day. I found booking on Wednesday and Thursday nights are the cheapest.
Apr 13, 2005
14 posts
I work for a website called www.wotif.com and there is a special at the 3 diamond Chimo hotel for C$99 tax-inclusive and that includes parking. I believe it's only on from May 6 - 16 at the moment.
Jan 18, 2005
545 posts
2 upvotes
thanks to everyone for the tips.

i managed to get the marriott downtown for only $50US/night from priceline. seems like a good deal compared to what you all are quoting.

thanks again.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2414 posts
259 upvotes
Ottawa
Shredder59 wrote:thanks to everyone for the tips.

i managed to get the marriott downtown for only $50US/night from priceline. seems like a good deal compared to what you all are quoting.

thanks again.
How'd you manage that? What's this Priceline you speak of?

~V79~
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
119 upvotes
Sudbury
There are plenty of cheap motels close by in Gatineau, but they are only by the hour.
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2004
1640 posts
61 upvotes
Viz79 wrote:How'd you manage that? What's this Priceline you speak of?

~V79~
http://www.priceline.com/

You "bid" on a hotel without actually knowing which hotel it is. You name your price, the area you want to stay in, and the quality level and if your price is accepted, you then find out which hotel you got. It's good if you're flexible. Your credit card is charged immediately and there are no refunds.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2002
3178 posts
423 upvotes
oh man.. now I regret booking Novotel for $100.. so expensive..

How does HotWire work? It won't tell you the hotel untill the end?
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
3519 posts
435 upvotes
Calgary
wotgirl wrote:I work for a website called www.wotif.com and there is a special at the 3 diamond Chimo hotel for C$99 tax-inclusive and that includes parking. I believe it's only on from May 6 - 16 at the moment.
www.wotif.com - great last minute website! I booked all my Australia Hotels thru this website. It's great not to have to worry where I can stay at the last minute.

I also used this site for Canadian hotels as well. Highly recommanded.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
3519 posts
435 upvotes
Calgary
Shredder59 wrote:thanks to everyone for the tips.

thanks again.
You didn't mention date. I think that's the most important part of the bidding. I tried to bid Ottawa using priceline for May 30 & 31. I always start with $50 USD for a 4* hotel. I got rejected. I tried again with changes to location, rejected again. Then increased my bid to $60 USD, still rejected.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
3519 posts
435 upvotes
Calgary
kareshi wrote:oh man.. now I regret booking Novotel for $100.. so expensive..

How does HotWire work? It won't tell you the hotel untill the end?
Try it. It's fun. I personally prefer hotwire over priceline because you know the price, and there are ways to find out what hotel you bidding by using the "package" deals and also with betterbidding.com.
Jan 18, 2005
545 posts
2 upvotes
cko64 wrote:You didn't mention date. I think that's the most important part of the bidding. I tried to bid Ottawa using priceline for May 30 & 31. I always start with $50 USD for a 4* hotel. I got rejected. I tried again with changes to location, rejected again. Then increased my bid to $60 USD, still rejected.

dates are this weekend-may 13-15. for some reason the marriott is listed as a 2.5 star hotel on priceline! i guess that's how it worked. i didn't get anything for a 3 or 4 star hotel. but how the marriott in downtown ottawa with an indoor pool and hot tub is only a 2.5 star hotel is beyond me!
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
3519 posts
435 upvotes
Calgary
Shredder59 wrote:dates are this weekend-may 13-15. for some reason the marriott is listed as a 2.5 star hotel on priceline! i guess that's how it worked. i didn't get anything for a 3 or 4 star hotel. but how the marriott in downtown ottawa with an indoor pool and hot tub is only a 2.5 star hotel is beyond me!
Marriott Ottawa is a 3.5 star hotel. It's at excellent location. I think Priceline did a booboo and you got luck out. I would rather take Marriott over Novotel. Good for you!
Aug 31, 2004
523 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa
On Priceline, the hotels are self-rated. There are variations among Priceline, Hotwire, CAA and others.

Why would a 3 1/2* hotel be rated 2 1/2*? Economic reasons perhaps. Maybe some hotels have learned that there are more bidders at a 2 or 2 1/2* level than there are at the 3 - 4* level.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2003
1864 posts
6078 upvotes
Toronto
You can bid for a 2.5* hotel on Priceline and be upgraded to 3* +.

I have stayed at both hotels through Priceline and at the time The Ottawa Marriott was rated as 3* and the Ottawa Courtyard Marriott was rated 2.5*. I doubt this has changed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)