1646 posts
289 upvotes
yeah kinda expensive

why are kettlebells so expensive anyways? just a ball of cast iron
Mar 14, 2008
491 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah pretty pricey for what it is. But its pretty versatile and probably the best piece of equipment that I've bought.

you could use dumbells for the time being, but you'll be limited to certain movements. keep checking craigslist + kijiji and maybe search the buy and sell section of a
kettlebell/ mma forum.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1646 posts
289 upvotes
just got a 16kg kettlebell for 50$ taxes in pretty good deal imo

NOTE: do not bring on the TTC it was an extremely tough workout on my forearms
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6695 posts
2481 upvotes
Calgary
I have to agree that kettlebells are never cheap unless you find them in garage sale or Craigslist etc. If you want them cheap you need to sacrifice quality. I've seen some cheap ones in Winner's but those hard plastic ones were just brutal. Poor designed kettlebell handles can irritate skin even cause damage to your hands so this is one thing one must bear in mind. I am a woman but I don't like the sissy vinyl coated kettlebells neither. I like raw cast iron because those can take a lot of abuse and they last forever.
Dec 5, 2006
168 posts
32 upvotes
North York
^^ Agreed on the low quality kettlebell handles. That is the biggest notice difference in the balls I've tried. Some are thicker or rougher then others. Which take a toll on the hands and are sometimes too thick and unsafe to throw around if you have smaller hands.

The homemade kettlebell is a GREAT idea and highly recommended to try FIRST so you know what kind of weight you should be buying. There is nothing worse then buying an expensive new bell and finding out its the wrong weight for you. If you have access to some plates make this first, use it for a while, see if you like it, THEN make a real investment in a kettlebell that is right for you.

There is a general rule of thumb for men = 40-55lbs and women = 18-40lbs but everyone is different and wants to use their bells for diff moves.
Aug 23, 2008
3 posts
I have seen kettleballs at great prices @winners and or homesense stores. Sometimes you can luck out and find them on clearance!
good luck!
Cindy
Dec 5, 2006
168 posts
32 upvotes
North York
The ones i've seen at winners personally are plastic coated and horrible quality. they may sell vinyl dipped or cast iron though if they do grab one winners prices are always good :razz:

Sportchek sells high quality YORK Kettlbells for decent prices, a female friend just bought one there, 20lb YORK Kettlebell @ $39.99
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
6695 posts
2481 upvotes
Calgary
InsomniaK wrote:
Jul 7th, 2011 3:20 am
The ones i've seen at winners personally are plastic coated and horrible quality. they may sell vinyl dipped or cast iron though if they do grab one winners prices are always good :razz:
Totally agree! I wouldn't use the plastic ones; they're horrible!
Sportchek sells high quality YORK Kettlbells for decent prices, a female friend just bought one there, 20lb YORK Kettlebell @ $39.99

I haven't been to Sportchek for a while. A 20-lb kettlebell (good quality) for $39.99 is a pretty sweet deal. I made the Tim Ferriss' version t-bar bell:

[IMG]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0903/ ... /T-bar.jpg[/IMG]

and this single-arm one:

[IMG]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0903/ ... lebell.jpg[/IMG]

The T-bar bell works very well but the second one needs a bit work on the handle. The two of them cost just $17, plates and clamps not included. :)