Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill

LF Good teriyaki sauce

Can anyone suggest a good teriyaki sauce that I can buy?
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jayt90 wrote: There are four Kikkoman Teriyaki sauces. I like this one and keep it as a BBQ baste http://www.kikkomanusa.com/homecooks/pr ... 03&fam=103
Thanks. I'm assuming I can get this locally (GTA) since it's Kikkoman.
bonterra wrote: I like Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki. either the regular or Wasabi.

http://www.soyvay.com/flavors/veri-veri-teriyaki/
Looking at the website, I can only get it online? No local retailers (T&T, Walmart, Loblaws, etc)?
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1955 upvotes
Elmira
I wish I knew what kind of teriyaki sauce they use at Mizuki in Mississauga
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7950 posts
3614 upvotes
nyik wrote: Thanks. I'm assuming I can get this locally (GTA) since it's Kikkoman.

Looking at the website, I can only get it online? No local retailers (T&T, Walmart, Loblaws, etc)?
I get it at a YIG. Your Independent Grocer. Part of the Loblaws supply chain.

I also like the Golden Dragon Thick Teriyaki. Pretty sure they have it at WalMart.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
2171 posts
1017 upvotes
Toronto
I mixed my own...

1:1 mirin-to-light soy sauce ratio + half-tea spoon sesame oil + half tea spoon sugar.

Try it...and judge for yourself :)

In a small pot, pour in 1/2 cup mirin (Japanese sauce you can find at PC or Asian markets) and slowly heat it up at Medium heat. Then pour in 1/2 cup light soy sauce and add the rest of the ingredients then slowly stir. Continue to stir until slightly boil then let it rest.

Taste test it...you might need to adjust depending on your preference.

Lastly, the sauce you just made will be slightly liquidy but if you want to thicken it...in a separate bowl, mix 1/4 of cornstarch with water then mix into the sauce.

Update: some might disagree but using a good brand soy sauce makes a huge difference (ie. None of this crap by No Nam brand....try to use Lee Kum Lee or other superior brands).
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3726 posts
432 upvotes
I haven't tried too many bottles of Teriyaki sauce, but I did like the one I got at Teriyaki Experience.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Dragon120 wrote: I mixed my own...

1:1 mirin-to-light soy sauce ratio + half-tea spoon sesame oil + half tea spoon sugar.

In a small pot, pour in 1/2 cup mirin (Japanese sauce you can find at PC or Asian markets) and slowly heat it up at Medium heat. Then pour in 1/2 cup light soy sauce and add the rest of the ingredients then slowly stir. Continue to stir until slightly boil then let it rest.

Lastly, the sauce you just made will be slightly liquidy but if you want to thickey it...in a separate bowl, mix 1/4 of cornstarch with water then stir into your ready made teriyaki sauce.
Challenge accepted!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
nyik wrote: Challenge accepted!
Yeah, it's actually pretty easy to make your own teriyaki sauce, often tastes better than the bottled stuff. What Dragon120 said is pretty much a typical recipe, you can always adjust it to your tastes. I find brown sugar seems to give it a better taste.

Mirin is a Japanese rice seasoning, almost like rice wine.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1765 posts
832 upvotes
Dragon120 wrote: I mixed my own...

Lastly, the sauce you just made will be slightly liquidy but if you want to thicken it...in a separate bowl, mix 1/4 of cornstarch with water then mix into the sauce.

Update: some might disagree but using a good brand soy sauce makes a huge difference (ie. None of this crap by No Nam brand....try to use Lee Kum Lee or other superior brands).
This is a good recipe! Mine is similar but i don't add sesame oil, I should try next time.

But I also add in sake. 1/2 sake I guess, I just eye ball it usually.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)