• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2004 3:13 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 26, 2004
36 posts

LF: High protein snack

I'm tired of eating protein bars at work. What's a good healthy, low cal, high protein snack that I don't have to prepare? Something not too pricey would be cool.
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2003
8162 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
Hugh Grant wrote:I'm tired of eating protein bars at work. What's a good healthy, low cal, high protein snack that I don't have to prepare? Something not too pricey would be cool.
Tuna and crackers :D

there's so many tasty crackers.. tostitos chips, ritz, the options are endless!!
[OP]
Feb 26, 2004
36 posts
MtX wrote:Tuna and crackers :D

there's so many tasty crackers.. tostitos chips, ritz, the options are endless!!
Aren't tostitos and ritz kind of oily? I guess I'll be on the lookout for a good cracker to buy.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2003
8162 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
Hugh Grant wrote:Aren't tostitos and ritz kind of oily? I guess I'll be on the lookout for a good cracker to buy.
yeah ritz are oily.. tostitos are okay.. maybe you should buy those Christie PREMIUM crackers.. salted unsalted.. regular/wholeweat.. i know they are low-fat
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15922 posts
6108 upvotes
Protein shake.

Mix in water, with a spoon.

~$0.60/scoop for Optimum, which mixes easily with water.

Of course, you should have some carbs with it too...
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2003
1266 posts
11 upvotes
London
Hummus and toasted whole wheat pita points. Cheap, healthy, and tasty. Mix in unflavoured protein powder to up the protein content.
"Live simply, so that others may simply live."
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3356 posts
61 upvotes
Ontario
^^^ A can of tuna has what...30g of protein or something. Best and easiest protein snack I usually eat. Hard to eat quick though.
Nov 26, 2003
87 posts
If I just want something quick I'll grab a meal replacement drink. I love PC Ultra shake chocolate flavour. I think it's about 10-15 grams of protein and only 230 cals. Yum!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6274 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
Tofu is also high in protein & low in fat/carbs.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1032 posts
309 upvotes
Markham
eelfliw wrote:Tofu is also high in protein & low in fat/carbs.
Are you sure about that?

I thought that the firmer tofu has the most fat, and the softer tofu less, but even the softest tofu has a significant amount of fat.

Here's a site that claims tofu is low in fat calories, but if you scroll further down it lists:
38 fat calories (which would be just over 4g fat)
32 protein calories (approx. 8g protein)
3 carbohydrate calories (less than 1g carbs)
total 73 calories per 100g of tofu.

Since a lot of the weight is water, there isn't a lot of fat (4g) for the given weight of food (100g). But for the given calories, you're looking at more than half from fat. And it doesn't really have a lot of protein, either. You can get 8g of protein (and less than 1 g of fat and only 85 cal total) from one glass of skim milk instead of 100g of tofu.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2001
5275 posts
31 upvotes
Cheese and high fibre crackers along with a PC Meal Replacemnet Drink...
reg calories or extra calories.
:twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6274 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
bdckr wrote:Are you sure about that?

Since a lot of the weight is water, there isn't a lot of fat (4g) for the given weight of food (100g). But for the given calories, you're looking at more than half from fat. And it doesn't really have a lot of protein, either. You can get 8g of protein (and less than 1 g of fat and only 85 cal total) from one glass of skim milk instead of 100g of tofu.
The original poster was asking for snacks replace protein bars. So the food has to be somewhat solid. Skim milk isn't. Within the confines of solid food, Tofu is better than most dairy products.

If solid food wasn't a restriction, I would have recommended cold water or ice cubes. :lol:
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15922 posts
6108 upvotes
eelfliw wrote:Tofu is also high in protein & low in fat/carbs.
Soy protein in larger amounts promotes estrogen growth - so unless the poster is a female it's not typically recommended.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6274 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
TrevorK wrote:Soy protein in larger amounts promotes estrogen growth - so unless the poster is a female it's not typically recommended.
Please define "large amounts". Does he have to eat 3lbs of tofu a day to be affected?