• Nov 26th, 2004 3:13 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2002
6226 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
Soak dry chick peas in water overnight to soften,was them before though.
Drain and rinse in cold water put in blender,add milk and ice sugar/honey or what ever sweetener if you like it sweet blend agood hint is to add some guinness or a shot of brandy.
You'r partner will beg you to stop!
"channa punch"
Sep 3, 2004
109 posts
Good Protein Snacks:

-Chicken Salad (you can buy in any deli or Dominion, or you can make it yourself the night before with mayo and celery)
-Tuna or tuna salad.
-Assorted Sashimi (as long as you have a fridge at work and want to go out and buy sashimi at a sushi restaurant the night before)
-Can of mixed nuts have some protein to them
-Cold cuts and cheese (althought the cheese is mostly fat and not protein)
-Can of deviled ham with ritz crackers (high in sodium if that bothers you...)
-Protein shake
-Chicken caesar (you can also add ham)

**You can cut out the crackers and use pork rinds if the carbs bother you.. but it's always healthy to eat some carbs, just watch how much carbs you eat.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16030 posts
6202 upvotes
eelfliw wrote:Please define "large amounts". Does he have to eat 3lbs of tofu a day to be affected?
7g or more of soy protein in one sitting.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1041 posts
328 upvotes
Markham
You really need to practice reading. This...
eelfliw wrote:The original poster was asking for snacks replace protein bars. So the food has to be somewhat solid. Skim milk isn't. Within the confines of solid food, Tofu is better than most dairy products.
...shows you're good at reading something that's not there, while this...
eelfliw wrote:If solid food wasn't a restriction, I would have recommended cold water or ice cubes. :lol:
... shows you're not good at reading what's actually written. Not a good combination.

In case you've already forgotten what you wrote,
eelfliw wrote:Tofu is also high in protein & low in fat/carbs
You still haven't shown anyone why a food with 50% of the calories coming from fat should be considered "low in fat".
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6274 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
bdckr wrote:You really need to practice reading. This......shows you're good at reading something that's not there, while this...

... shows you're not good at reading what's actually written. Not a good combination.
May be I should drink more skim milk to improve my reading skills and be as smart as you? :lol:

How many people snack on skim milk instead of solid food? Do you?
bdckr wrote: In case you've already forgotten what you wrote,
You still haven't shown anyone why a food with 50% of the calories coming from fat should be considered "low in fat".
The link you provided says it's low in fat, basically agreeing with what I said. Did you forget to drink skim milk this morning and lost some of your reading ability as well?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6274 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
TrevorK wrote:7g or more of soy protein in one sitting.
Wow! It doesn't take much tofu to contain 7g of soy protein. I know guys who eat a lot more than that in a day. I tried googling but can't find any thing. Is there a link I can forward to guys to tell them to stop consuming so much tofu or risk turning female?
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1041 posts
328 upvotes
Markham
eelfliw wrote:May be I should drink more skim milk to improve my reading skills and be as smart as you? :lol:
Hey, your reading comprehension is improving! I was talking about skim milk. I knew all you needed was a little more practice.
eelfliw wrote:How many people snack on skim milk instead of solid food? Do you?
I'm glad the advertisers are reaching some of you. Your need to conform would be almost sad if it wasn't so obvious that you're indignantly proud of it.

eelfliw wrote:The link you provided says it's low in fat, basically agreeing with what I said. Did you forget to drink skim milk this morning and lost some of your reading ability as well?
Oh... sorry to see you write this. I had such high hopes for your improved reading skills.

One mistake at a time. Reading comprehension first: The second link which you just quoted only lists the nutrients. It mentions nothing about "low fat."

You might be referring to the original self-contradictory link I posted. You're right, it starts out saying that tofu is a low fat food. Then it shows that half the calories are from fat. This isn't so much a problem of reading comprehension on your part, but an inability to think for yourself (which I guess is related to the your need to have "many people" doing something for validation).

In case you don't understand (and I strongly suspect you won't), here's a similar example: Someone starts out saying that that you are smart. Then he/she shows me your posts in this thread. I could simply agree with him/her, or take a look at your posts and come to my own conclusion.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2002
1066 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
I find that Beef Jerky is a great snack if you're lookin for high protein...it's kinda expensive though.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6274 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
bdckr wrote:In case you don't understand (and I strongly suspect you won't), here's a similar example: Someone starts out saying that that you are smart. Then he/she shows me your posts in this thread. I could simply agree with him/her, or take a look at your posts and come to my own conclusion.
Wow! Your intelligence amazes me. You should be on TV beside Bush.

Thanks for pointing out that I quoted the 2nd link instead of the first link.

But you have failed to explain to me why you quote the first link where it says it's low in fat while you refute your own quotation?

Come on, Mr. Smart. Looking for an explanation.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16030 posts
6202 upvotes
eelfliw wrote:Wow! It doesn't take much tofu to contain 7g of soy protein. I know guys who eat a lot more than that in a day. I tried googling but can't find any thing. Is there a link I can forward to guys to tell them to stop consuming so much tofu or risk turning female?
One link:
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/s ... 57,00.html

Which again and again states that soy promotes "estrogen like effects".

For anyone working out, that's not good at all...
Nov 3, 2003
250 posts
43 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:One link:
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/s ... 57,00.html

Which again and again states that soy promotes "estrogen like effects".

For anyone working out, that's not good at all...
Well, it IS a way to develop a bigger chest (not pecs tho) :D

don't really want to feed the fire, but tofu is a pretty fatty food/source of protein. You can't look at it purely based on total mass because so much of it is water, but moreso at the portion of the total calories that come from fat. For example, if you drank a litre of water (1 kg) and added 30g of oil to it - yes, only 3% of the mass is fat... but 30g of fat is alot!
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1041 posts
328 upvotes
Markham
eelfliw wrote:Wow! Your intelligence amazes me. You should be on TV beside Bush. It sure doesn’t take much to impress you.

Thanks for pointing out that I quoted the 2nd link instead of the first link. You’re welcome.

But you have failed to explain to me why you quote the first link where it says it's low in fat while you refute your own quotation?

Come on, Mr. Smart. Looking for an explanation.Admitting that you need help and asking for it are the first steps in dealing with your reading comprehension problem. Good for you. Your next stop might be Miss Manners for help in learning how to ask with a little less rudeness.

I’m sure that’s not the only part you didn’t understand, and I know that it can be very hard to ask for help, so I’ll explain it all to you.
Part 1: Educating eelfliw
Are you sure about that?This is a question. It’s asking if you’re sure.

I thought that the firmer tofu has the most fat, and the softer tofu less, but even the softest tofu has a significant amount of fat. This is saying that tofu is not low in fat.

Here's a site that claims tofu is low in fat calories,
This is meant to give you a chance to back down gracefully. At this point, I’m assuming you’ve just made an honest mistake, so instead of quoting a site that just has nutrient values, this link acknowledges that you’re not the only one out there misinformed about tofu. So instead of being forced to say simply,“I was wrong,
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6274 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
Good boy, bkdr. Looks like I succeeded in making you spend hours doing homework. :lol:

Of course, I don't have time to read any of that. So, better luck next time. Your insecurity and your need to prove that you're smarter is your biggest downfall.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5263 posts
934 upvotes
I skipped where you guys were arguing, but soy is garbage protein.
LIke el_diablo007 said, beef jerky is great.
It can be made with almost no carbs, low fat, and is high in protein.
You can make your own, very easy, and any flavour you want.
I just made some of my own, I put a bit too much worchester sauce in, but it still wasn't bad. I dont' snack much either, just eat 6 meals a day, so I don't really eat it that much.
Other snack, pepperoni slices with some mozza cheelse melted on top.
Eggs in the microwave.
Protein shake, like Trevor said, but it isn't filling. Some nuts with it is alright, and carbs depending on your diet.
I'm on a Ketogenic diet right now, similar to atkins, but I don't eat the 'atkins' foods. I keep it basic.
There are so many options, I enjoy it over my regular carb cycling diets.
I had some cravings today, so I hit burger king. Expensive as hell, but I was in need for something good. Two whoppers with cheese and bacon, with no ketchup, and throw away the bun. Plus a diet coke. IT CAME OUT TO OVER $12! But damn it's so good when you are eating under 20 grams of carbs a day.

I usually just grab a handful of almonds when I feel like munching on something, or cheese, but I'm getting tired of cheese.

There are also whole wheat crackers, depending on your diet. I don't know how 'good' they are, but they are whole wheat... depending on your diet.

Also, tuna in the oven with cheese melted on top, and some garlic powder.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1041 posts
328 upvotes
Markham
eelfliw wrote:Good boy, bkdr. Looks like I succeeded in making you spend hours doing homework. :lol:

Of course, I don't have time to read any of that. So, better luck next time. Your insecurity and your need to prove that you're smarter is your biggest downfall.
You're overestimating the time needed to read, think, and write, while seriously underestimating the amount of fun to be had in mocking you.

Here's a tip: it goes a lot faster if you're not moving your lips. And it's not so tiring, either.