None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4469 posts
260 upvotes
Toronto

LF: Marks and Spencer Food!! I miss Marks and Sparks

Anybody have an idea where I can find a British Expat store in the GTA which sells Marks and Spencer food? Specifially, I'm looking for their shrimp cocktail chips; anybody remember those? I'm also looking for their tea biscuits. I've only been able to find British chocolate or candy.
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8636 posts
603 upvotes
GTA
I know there is a british store in Oakville off of "Jones St." I think is the road. It is in Bronte close by the Blockbuster/Lick's plaza there.

Not sure where in GTA you are so there might be one closer to you. It looks like the specialize in british groceries. Probably one closer to you if you are in Toronto...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6616 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
There's also a place in the Beaches not 5 minutes walk from my place, they are a chocolatier but sell a wide variety of British snacks. On Queest St East/Woodbine, go east on Queen for about 10 blocks, it's next to a Tim Hortons.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2003
1809 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
You and me both. The last time I was in London I stocked up on 6 bags of M&S shrimp chips, or shrimp cocktail as they're called.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18305 posts
1110 upvotes
You could try Pusateri's Fine Foods, they have locations in Yorkville and one on Avenue Rd. and Lawerence.

They import a lot of gourmet foods and products, so they might carry Marks & Spencer's shrimp chips.

Worth a try. Good luck !

www.pusateris.com

Avenue Rd. & Lawrence
Address:
1539 Avenue Road
Toronto, Ontario
M5M 3X4
(Just half a block north of Lawrence)
Phone:
Fax: (416) 785-9100
(416) 782-9485

OR:

Yorkville Address:

57 Yorkville Ave.
Toronto, Ontario
M5R 3V6
(Bay & Yorkville)
Phone:
Fax: (416) 785-9100
(416) 782-9485
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6030 posts
466 upvotes
Are those shrimp chips you speak of the same as the shrimp flavoured chips sold in a greenish box and the pieces are like raw pasta but when fried they expand into a crunchy chip. If those are what you are talking about then you can get them at Asian stores like New Asia. There is also a store that sells British foods in Bramalea city centre. Not sure if it is still there but used to be opposite ultramart close to where the sewing machine store is down the corridor from the food court.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4469 posts
260 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t wrote:Are those shrimp chips you speak of the same as the shrimp flavoured chips sold in a greenish box and the pieces are like raw pasta but when fried they expand into a crunchy chip. If those are what you are talking about then you can get them at Asian stores like New Asia. There is also a store that sells British foods in Bramalea city centre. Not sure if it is still there but used to be opposite ultramart close to where the sewing machine store is down the corridor from the food court.
No, not at all. I know the shrimp chips you speak of, and have my own particular tastes in that department (I have to get the ones you can buy from Singapore, but they're such a pain to deep fry). These are "Shrimp Cocktail" chips and they just rock - but I can't find them anywhere any more.
ANy more on the shop? Like a name? I looked at the mall directory for Bramlea and found nothing.
Apr 2, 2004
314 posts
20 upvotes
Oh shrimp cocktail chips! Or should I say crisps? I miss those *SOOOO* much. They were somewhat similar to asian shrimp chips but better because they had a lovely tangy flavour. Gawd, I think I'm salivating.

I remember when Loblaws made a PC knockoff of it. I don't know why it was discontinued after a year or so.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 26, 2004
9468 posts
396 upvotes
Mississauga
There's a British store called A Little Bit of Britain at Meadowvale Town Centre in Mississauga. It's a bit of a hike from the GTA east end though so you should call them before heading out.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6030 posts
466 upvotes
milhaus wrote:No, not at all. I know the shrimp chips you speak of, and have my own particular tastes in that department (I have to get the ones you can buy from Singapore, but they're such a pain to deep fry). These are "Shrimp Cocktail" chips and they just rock - but I can't find them anywhere any more.
ANy more on the shop? Like a name? I looked at the mall directory for Bramlea and found nothing.
I checked the net and i saw the "walkers" prawn cocktail chips. This must be what you speak off. I may not be in the mall till next week and i can check for you or you can call customer service at the mall and see if this store still exists. The directory on the website does not reflect all the stores at the mall since i just checked it yesterday and it does not list the inkjetrefill place or some of the newer stores.

Those walker chips and stuff are pretty expensive to order online though but if you really want it. I myself like nestle's milky bar which they do not market to north americans but i would not pay some of those ridiculous prices on the net for it. good Luck in your search.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2003
1809 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
do not confuse crisps with cocktail

shrimp crisps are made from potato and are similar to the chips we have here

on the other hand, shrimp cocktail is made with maize and they melt in your mouth when you eat them.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2003
1809 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
oh they're actually prawn and not shrimp hehe
they come in a purple package

waitrose also sells these 'skips' which are about the same thing
Sep 6, 2003
899 posts
2 upvotes
I loved those Marks and Spencers shrimp cocktail chips. They were pricey. Very disappointed when the stores closed. My mom used to always buy their large variety of cookies, those shrimp chips, toffees, potato rings...

President's Choice used to make the shrimp cocktail chips too - didn't last long in the market - maybe in the early 90's? Big white and clear bag for much cheaper than Marks & Spencers and tasted almost same to me.

Marks and Spencers brings back nice memories....
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
1600 posts
11 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
ohhh man, i love marks and spencer's chocolate biscuit cookie thingys. i dunno how to explain them. they were white long rectangle cookies with serrated edges, then in the middle, a little bit of chocolate. those were heaveN!
Want to test your Driving Knowledge? Studying for the G1? Studying for the written driving test of another Province? Check out http://www.DrivingTests101.com for FREE practice tests, it's a great resource!!!!
× < >