Hot Deals

[LG] 2018 LG OLED TVs on sale *** <$1900 for 55" C8 | <$2800 for 65" C8 | <$7800 for 77" C8 ***

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2019 10:20 am
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2657 posts
1472 upvotes
Vancouver
vonblock wrote:
Aug 19th, 2018 7:16 pm
Yeah, static image.

Of course if you pause and there's a moving background, it's not gonna work.

It detect static image, not game pausing.
Exactly meaning the user needs to be careful and it might be worth doing minor tests to see if pause is really a static pause or a motion pause because that makes a difference. Main reason i wouldnt consider the tv due to needing to baby it... basically need extra care for different uses instead of plug, setup, and pretty much never worry about it again (except the odd updates).

If you are willing to baby it (avoid certian things that could cause issues) and dont watch specific content, its impossible to beat the picture quality right now. Personally ill go with high end LEDs until microLED matures and becomes competitively priced (i.e. 100k is not competitive lol).
Dec 26, 2012
367 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
I have been playing Fortnite a lot since it's launch last Summer and unfortunately I have burn in from the in game HUD on my 55" LG OLED B7.

TV was from that sketchy tv store in Dufferin mall that is now long gone I think? I used my credit card, so double warranty as it is passed the 1 year from LG.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15919 posts
3217 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote:
Aug 19th, 2018 8:29 pm
Thanks. That is a *massive* price drop. The last time I checked those TVs were over $25,000.
Part of the reason is that in 2018, LG has brought the 77" to the C line of TVs. IIRC, in 2017 the only two models were a G7 and a W7, both premium models (not in terms of the panel, but in terms of the design and aesthetics, and the speaker system).

The 77" W7 had a list price of $19999, but the 77" C8 has a list price of $11999, which makes sense since currently the Sony 77" (based off the same panel) is $12999, which is a price drop from the original $16999. The Sony has an arguably better SoC though, and some have said the Sony models are better colour calibrated out of the factory.

IIRC, last week the sales were only on the 55" and 65" models, but it seems LG has extended this sale to the 77" this weekend, as the $9999 price is now ubiquitous. However, it was really, really easy to get stores to sell the 77" model for $9999, so that's not a surprise I guess.

I had said to myself that I wouldn't buy an OLED until it dropped below $3000, but $3100 is close enough. ;) However, I think it's unrealistic to expect a 75-77" OLED below $3000 within the next 3 years. Maybe if it drops below CAD$5000 I'll buy one though.

Anyone want to buy a Sony VPL-HW45ES projector? ;)
oakley0023 wrote:
Aug 19th, 2018 8:52 pm
I have been playing Fortnite a lot since it's launch last Summer and unfortunately I have burn in from the in game HUD on my 55" LG OLED B7.

TV was from that sketchy tv store in Dufferin mall that is now long gone I think? I used my credit card, so double warranty as it is passed the 1 year from LG.
Sorry to hear about that. Note that credit card warranty wouldn't cover burn-in either.

We are not currently gamers and I have warned my wife that she shouldn't be using that TV to watch continuous news feeds and the like, but she doesn't do that anyway.
Last edited by EugW on Aug 19th, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14650 posts
5836 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Aug 19th, 2018 9:04 pm
Part of the reason is that in 2018, LG has brought the 77" to the C line of TVs. IIRC, in 2017 the only two models were a G7 and a W7, both premium models (not in terms of the panel, but in terms of the design and aesthetics, and the speaker system).

The 77" W7 had a list price of $19999, but the 77" C8 has a list price of $11999, which makes sense since currently the Sony 77" (based off the same panel) is $12999, which is a price drop from the original $16999. The Sony has an arguably better SoC though, and some have said the Sony models are better colour calibrated out of the factory.

I had said to myself that I wouldn't buy an OLED until it dropped below $3000, but $3100 is close enough. ;) However, I think it's unrealistic to expect a 75-77" OLED below $3000 within the next 3 years. Maybe if it drops below CAD$5000 I'll buy one though.

Anyone want to buy a Sony VPL-HW45ES projector? ;)

Sorry to hear about that. Note that credit card warranty wouldn't cover burn-in either.

We are not currently gamers and I have warned my wife that she shouldn't be using that TV to watch continuous news feeds and the like, but she doesn't do that anyway.
I dunno. OLED is certainly better. My iPhone X is my first real exposure to an OLED screen. I will say however that it is not meaningfully better than the IPS LED display on my old LG G6 phone the vast majority of the time. Perhaps OLEDs are better in a dark room. But 95% of the time I notice virtually no difference. Perhaps it looks better during movies or fast action sports. But from what I have seen I have been disappointed personally as I expected more. I have a 75" 4k HDR TV now and it's going to take a pretty awesome television deal to get me to upgrade from what I have. No regrets at all so far.
I am a Public Mobile customer.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15919 posts
3217 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote:
Aug 19th, 2018 9:10 pm
I dunno. OLED is certainly better. My iPhone X is my first real exposure to an OLED screen. I will say however that it is not meaningfully better than the IPS LED display on my old LG G6 phone the vast majority of the time. Perhaps OLEDs are better in a dark room. But 95% of the time I notice virtually no difference. Perhaps it looks better during movies or fast action sports. But from what I have seen I have been disappointed personally as I expected more. I have a 75" 4k HDR TV now and it's going to take a pretty awesome television deal to get me to upgrade from what I have. No regrets at all so far.
For a phone, for the longest time I preferred IPS, simply because it was brighter. I will likely get an OLED phone this year though.

However, for TV, OLED is indeed certainly better in many regards (except burn-in). I was all smiles yesterday looking at a starry night scene in Stranger Things with no hit of blooming whatsoever. OLED is not susceptible to blooming, but it's a hard problem for LCDs to deal with. Furthermore, the gray blacks on projectors and LCDs drive me nuts. The high end 4K HDR TVs control it pretty well, but the pricing on those isn't exactly cheap either.

Since I was coming from a 1080p projector (purchased in 2016), it was an easier decision for me to jump straight to OLED, since I wouldn't actually be replacing any TV. Actually I was all set to buy a VA LCD with local dimming, but the viewing angles bugged me, and OLED pricing has dropped so much these days that I changed my mind.

If I had a decent 75" VA LCD already though, I wouldn't be upgrading.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3454 posts
1501 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Paigne wrote:
Aug 19th, 2018 8:39 pm
Exactly meaning the user needs to be careful and it might be worth doing minor tests to see if pause is really a static pause or a motion pause because that makes a difference. Main reason i wouldnt consider the tv due to needing to baby it... basically need extra care for different uses instead of plug, setup, and pretty much never worry about it again (except the odd updates).

If you are willing to baby it (avoid certian things that could cause issues) and dont watch specific content, its impossible to beat the picture quality right now. Personally ill go with high end LEDs until microLED matures and becomes competitively priced (i.e. 100k is not competitive lol).
All good thing in life need a little babysitting!

I love to pamper my OLED!

YMMV!
Mar 14, 2006
847 posts
114 upvotes
Coquitlam
SPACEMANRICK wrote:
Aug 19th, 2018 6:12 pm
I just picked up our 55" 2017 LG model 55B7P for $1,799 from London Drugs in Langley. If anyone is interested, London Drugs at several stores in the lower mainland and also their warehouse has the new in the box 2017 65" LG model for $2,699.

I was considering the 65" LG 65B7P for $2,699 but decided the 65" screen might be just a little too big for my living room. Interesting decision for some people may be deciding between the 55" 2018 model for $2,699 or the 65" 2017 model also for $2,699.
Well I setup our 55" LG 55B7P and there is a crack in the screen so I am going to return it to London Drugs!

I am now considering upgrading to the 65" model because the 55" screen actually looks a little smaller than I thought it would. Our sofa is 12 feet from the TV so I am thinking a 60" TV would be about perfect but unfortunately the LG only comes in 55" and 65". Any thoughts on going for the 65" instead of the 55" considering our room size and the $900 difference (from $1,799 to $2,699) for the extra 10 inches?
Images
  • 20180819_184743_resized_1.jpg
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1391 posts
400 upvotes
Winnipeg
SPACEMANRICK wrote:
Aug 19th, 2018 10:31 pm
Well I setup our 55" LG 55B7P and there is a crack in the screen so I am going to return it to London Drugs!

I am now considering upgrading to the 65" model because the 55" screen actually looks a little smaller than I thought it would. Our sofa is 12 feet from the TV so I am thinking a 60" TV would be about perfect but unfortunately the LG only comes in 55" and 65". Any thoughts on going for the 65" instead of the 55" considering our room size and the $900 difference (from $1,799 to $2,699) for the extra 10 inches?
$2699 is a great price for the 65"
Lorenzo
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15919 posts
3217 upvotes
Toronto
SPACEMANRICK wrote:

12 feet is pretty far. I have just a 43" TV at 12 feet, but it's mainly for the kids and news. Plus, about 48" is the maximum size that would fit in our TV cabinet, and we didn't want a monstrous TV in our living room. OTOH, in my home theatre, I have a 65" at 7.5 feet, and I would prefer a 77" at that distance, as I used to have a 90" projector image at about 9 feet and 12.5 feet.

So, on the one hand, 65" is pretty big aesthetically for a small room, as it dominates the room, but if you don't mind that and are just looking for good image quality and an immersive experience, then 65" is actually a bit too small.

Check out the rtings page on this: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-si ... lationship

Basically, at 12 feet, 65" is really the bare minimum, and at that distance with that TV size, you likely won't even be able to appreciate the detail from 4K. That's a size that is appropriate for a 1080p TV. OTOH, you'll still get the other benefits, which include beautiful blacks and HDR.

tl;dr:

Get the 65" especially at that great price, unless you don't like a big rectangle dominating the room.
Mar 14, 2006
847 posts
114 upvotes
Coquitlam
Thanks for the feedback! After reading your comment and looking at the chart in your link I am definitely now leaning towards the 65" model. I called the store in Langley that I bought our TV at today and they have the 65" model new in the box in their store.

I will keep everyone posted Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Mar 24, 2011
375 posts
59 upvotes
Vancouver
SPACEMANRICK wrote:
Aug 19th, 2018 11:23 pm
Thanks for the feedback! After reading your comment and looking at the chart in your link I am definitely now leaning towards the 65" model. I called the store in Langley that I bought our TV at today and they have the 65" model new in the box in their store.

I will keep everyone posted Smiling Face With Sunglasses
How much is it ?
Mar 14, 2006
847 posts
114 upvotes
Coquitlam
$2,699 for the 65" 2017 model LG 65B7P. I was told they have this in stock also in other stores across BC.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15919 posts
3217 upvotes
Toronto
pentexplorer wrote:
Aug 19th, 2018 11:25 pm
How much is it ?
$2699 at London Drugs for the 65" B7P.

For the 65" C8P, so far it seems the going rate is around $3100 to $3500.

And no CNE deals reported yet despite this weekend being almost over.
Mar 1, 2009
20 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Crazy that no CNE deals reported yet!!!

In chatting with a few different sales folks the C8 they were telling me the C8 has additional tech that prevents burn in ... true or just sales pitch?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2657 posts
1472 upvotes
Vancouver
SPACEMANRICK wrote:

General rule i use for ideal/min distance is SIZE * 1.5 and max distance of SIZE * 2. Various websites will have different recommendations but i use those numbers because they are easy to ballpark. Most probably will have higher max distance recommendations (like 2.5 or even 3) but i prefer bigger screens (so close to 1.5x) and thus my recommendation reflects that lol. Basically 65” should be big enough (close to 2x) and really is the smallest i would recommend.

Thread Information

There are currently 7 users viewing this thread. (6 members and 1 guest)

shermm, Tangatron, DarkC, Gutty96, Kader, renegadez