Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
LG

2018 LG OLED TVs on sale - Ongoing thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2019 8:13 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
BTW, for those of you looking at Best Buy, they have the deal below on all the 2018 LG OLEDs.:

FREE INSTALLATION, FIXED WALL MOUNT* & SMART TV SETUP
Elite TV Service Package included with purchase of select TVs**

UP TO $430 VALUE
SHOP ALL ELIGIBLE TVS
* Fixed Wall Mount provided by Manufacturer or Best Buy
** Excluding all major sales not exclusive to: VIP Sale, Black Friday Sale, Cyber Monday Sale and Boxing Day Sale
Installation
Includes wall mount and mounting by Geek Squad Agents so you don’t have to do the heavy lifting.

Smart TV Setup
Geek Squad Agents will connect your new TV to your existing wireless network and assess your network for 4K.

Tutorial
Our Geek Squad Agents will demonstrate and teach you how to use the features of your Smart TV.

bigred123 wrote: Just curious if anyone knows if LG will extend the current pricing past today or possibly lower it further? Almost all of the retailers have the $3699 price of the 65" C8 ending today.

I want to purchase next week, which will mean less than 90 days before US Black Friday if the price drops I can ask for the difference back from Costco (or return and buy another if they won't).
One wonders if they chose this date on purpose...

However, last year, after people started getting sub $3000 pricing on the 65" B7, AFAIK the 2nd tier retailers continued to offer it under $3000 all year (but didn't advertise those prices). However, as mentioned that's the 2nd tier retailers. Dunno what will happen with Costco and Best Buy.

EDIT:

Here is the pricing history on the 2017 65" C7P in the US, with Amazon and third party retailers:

OLED65C7P.PNG

As you can see, after the summer price drop, the pricing never went back up.
Last edited by EugW on Aug 23rd, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22157 posts
10322 upvotes
Toronto
I actually prefer the C-series stand.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2006
2190 posts
262 upvotes
Thornhill
I was given $2900+tax offer at CNE for C8. Sales tactic was one day offer, I think some local shops may give lower with cash only....
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Myv wrote: I was given $2900+tax offer at CNE for C8. Sales tactic was one day offer, I think some local shops may give lower with cash only....
Nice! Here we go...

So that was credit card? Free shipping? My $3100 + tax offer was with credit card payment. (I get 1.75 - 2% cash back, so about $60 cash back plus credit card extended warranty.) Store pickup only though, which is fine for me since a 65" is small enough to fit in our car.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2006
2190 posts
262 upvotes
Thornhill
EugW wrote: Nice! Here we go...

So that was credit card? Free shipping? My $3100 + tax offer was with credit card payment. (I get 1.75 - 2% cash back, so about $60 cash back plus credit card extended warranty.) Store pickup only though, which is fine for me since a 65" is small enough to fit in our car.
Yes, CC + FS (but it looks like only certain areas, but you may be able to haggle for FS)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Myv wrote: Yes, CC + FS (but it looks like only certain areas, but you may be able to haggle for FS)
Thread title changed to reflect that awesome pricing.
Mar 7, 2011
267 posts
173 upvotes
Calgary
Myv wrote: I was given $2900+tax offer at CNE for C8. Sales tactic was one day offer, I think some local shops may give lower with cash only....
Hmm...any chance you can post a receipt so we could try to get a price match?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2006
2190 posts
262 upvotes
Thornhill
xdreamoz wrote: Hmm...any chance you can post a receipt so we could try to get a price match?
I didn't buy it, I wanted to check a local shop first. Just reporting the offer I was given, sorry.
Aug 21, 2013
398 posts
346 upvotes
EugW wrote: I checked Costco in-store. Unfortunately, in-store in Scarborough (Warden) the C8 65" is still the same price as it is online, so no savings there. As usual it does come with the 2nd year warranty, and you can also buy a third year of warranty for $99.99.

BTW, it was interesting comparing the demo loops on those TVs. The C8 had lots of scenes with dark shadows, etc. In contrast (no pun intended), most of the VA and IPS panels focused on bright colourful scenes in their demo loops.

Looking at the C8 design in person, honestly I much prefer the B7P's stand over the C8 as to me it looks nicer and it also takes up much less space. The superwide C8 stand is unnecessary from stability standpoint, so I guess it's really just to redirect the sound from the TV forwards.

IMG_1854.jpeg

IMG_1855.jpeg

IMG_1872.jpeg

IMG_1870.jpeg

IMG_1871.jpeg

I don't know how bad it is for hockey now, but FWIW, ABL has been relaxed in the 2017 and 2018 models vs the 2016. Furthermore, at least in the initial reviews, they very little dirty screen effect. Which year did you test?
I tested 2018. In fact, reviews have called it out explicitly as oppose to the past where they would barely mention ABL.

It's the first negative listed in the Pros/Cons section of RTings review: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b8-oled
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Brewsky wrote: I tested 2018. In fact, reviews have called it out explicitly as oppose to the past where they would barely mention ABL.

It's the first negative listed in the Pros/Cons section of RTings review: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b8-oled
Fair enough. Most reviewers do recommend LCDs over OLEDs for watching hockey.

I guess it comes down to how much hockey you watch. If it's a general purpose TV, OLED is great, but if you're a big sports fan who watches a ton of hockey and don't watch movies, etc. then getting an OLED is probably a bad idea.

Also, while ABL has been relaxed in the 2017/2018 models, that's probably more in the case of movies and TV shows, where screens aren't necessarily all white and they're like that for short periods. Perhaps because these models get significantly brighter than older models, they are prone to kicking in ABL specifically in stuff like hockey were essentially 75% of the screen is near-white most of the time. (Just guessing here.)

---

For those who don't understand, ABL is short for automatic brightness limiter. OLEDs are prone to burn-in, and the brighter the screen (eg. white) the higher the risk. Thus, the companies build in ABL which decreases the brightness for very bright screens. This decreases the risk of burn-in. Unfortunately, hockey is very prone to this since basically in large part you're just watching a tiny black puck travelling around a big and bright white background.
Aug 21, 2013
398 posts
346 upvotes
EugW wrote: Fair enough. Most reviewers do recommend LCDs over OLEDs for watching hockey.

I guess it comes down to how much hockey you watch. If it's a general purpose TV, OLED is great, but if you're a big sports fan who watches a ton of hockey and don't watch movies, etc. then getting an OLED is probably a bad idea.

Also, while ABL has been relaxed in the 2017/2018 models, that's probably more in the case of movies and TV shows, where screens aren't necessarily all white and they're like that for short periods. Perhaps because these models get significantly brighter than older models, they are prone to kicking in ABL specifically in stuff like hockey were essentially 75% of the screen is near-white most of the time. (Just guessing here.)

---

For those who don't understand, ABL is short for automatic brightness limiter. OLEDs are prone to burn-in, and the brighter the screen (eg. white) the higher the risk. Thus, the companies build in ABL which decreases the brightness for very bright screens. This decreases the risk of burn-in. Unfortunately, hockey is very prone to this since basically in large part you're just watching a tiny black puck travelling around a big and bright white background.
The OLED is pretty much the perfect TV, if it wasn't for ABL. I get the boys over and watch hockey regularly, and first time it happened was kind of embarrassing - it's like "who turned the lights off in the arena?"

If you don't watch hockey or play a game that is predominantly white, it's the best TV out there.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Brewsky wrote: The OLED is pretty much the perfect TV, if it wasn't for ABL. I get the boys over and watch hockey regularly, and first time it happened was kind of embarrassing - it's like "who turned the lights off in the arena?"

If you don't watch hockey or play a game that is predominantly white, it's the best TV out there.
Heh, is your avatar made of Stanley Cup beer mugs?

That would explain things... :D
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23732 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Anyone see how much 77” is at CNE?
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16761 posts
8093 upvotes
Brewsky wrote: The OLED is pretty much the perfect TV, if it wasn't for ABL. I get the boys over and watch hockey regularly, and first time it happened was kind of embarrassing - it's like "who turned the lights off in the arena?"

Wow, thanks for the info. So hockey looks bad on it? The whites aren't bright enough? I would have thought OLED would be the best display for hockey. LED TVs really struggle with it for a variety of reasons.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote: Wow, thanks for the info. So hockey looks bad on it? The whites aren't bright enough? I would have thought OLED would be the best display for hockey. LED TVs really struggle with it for a variety of reasons.
Check out my post on ABL from earlier this afternoon.

Not sure why you say LEDs struggle with hockey because good ones are preferred for hockey over OLED. Which LEDs were you using for watching hockey? Struggle in what way?
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16761 posts
8093 upvotes
EugW wrote: Check out my post on ABL from earlier this afternoon.

Not sure why you say LEDs struggle with hockey because good ones are preferred for hockey over OLED. Which LEDs were you using for watching hockey? Struggle in what way?
LED TVs struggle with uniformity issues on a white screen. It is a worst case scenario for them. My current TV is fantastic for hockey, but it is the exception, not the norm. Also, OLED has much better motion resolution. LED TVs suffer from motion blur. I would have thought that all sports including hockey would look way better on an OLED TV. You guys are making me reconsider my OLED upgrade plans.
Sep 3, 2014
19 posts
1 upvote
Brampton, ON
SickBeast wrote: LED TVs struggle with uniformity issues on a white screen. It is a worst case scenario for them. My current TV is fantastic for hockey, but it is the exception, not the norm. Also, OLED has much better motion resolution. LED TVs suffer from motion blur. I would have thought that all sports including hockey would look way better on an OLED TV. You guys are making me reconsider my OLED upgrade plans.
Not all LED’s suffer from motion problems. It all depends on the processing chip inside. Take Sony for example, their motion handling is world class in their upper end LED’s because of the processing chip they use. OLED’s look great in dark rooms and viewing angles are great but are prone to burn in unless you really treat it like a baby. Both technologies have their pluses and minuses.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16761 posts
8093 upvotes
godschild21 wrote: Not all LED’s suffer from motion problems. It all depends on the processing chip inside. Take Sony for example, their motion handling is world class in their upper end LED’s because of the processing chip they use. OLED’s look great in dark rooms and viewing angles are great but are prone to burn in unless you really treat it like a baby. Both technologies have their pluses and minuses.
Nothing, including processing, can get rid of all the motion problems inherent to LED technology. OLED is superior there. My LED TV also does a pretty nice job but IMO it's naive to pretend that not all LEDs suffer from the problem to one extent or another.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1184 posts
855 upvotes
Burn in is extremely over exaggerated in this thread. The technology has improved enough for it to be a non-factor under normal usage. The PQ dominance over non OLED's is most certainly worth the small risk of burn in if you can afford an OLED.
Aug 10, 2010
368 posts
169 upvotes
Calgary
EugW wrote: Bottom line, unless you really want the gaming features or the Alpha 9 SoC of the C8, if you want a good OLED and are within range of a London Drugs, you may want to jump on the London Drugs sale pricing of the B7 the next time it happens. The $1799 55" and $2699 65" pricing is excellent.
London Drugs flyer for next week has the B7 at $2299 for 55 and $3299 for 65 so doesn't look like the extra reductions will be happening this weekend.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)