Hot Deals

[LG] 2018 LG OLED TVs on sale *** <$1900 for 55" C8 | <$2800 for 65" C8 | <$7800 for 77" C8 ***

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2019 10:20 am
Jun 21, 2009
149 posts
131 upvotes
LOOSEWHEEL wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 11:18 am
For pricing reference purposes, I picked up the 65B7 for $2399 at the fall home show.
Wow, I thought the $2700 I paid in December was a good deal
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2657 posts
1472 upvotes
Vancouver
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 1:39 pm
Let's look forward to @Paigne's tear down of the LG OLEDs.
There really isnt anything to tear down. OLED provides the best picture quality unless you want to count samsungs microled, which is really more of a concept tv right now (since not many would spend 100k or need a full wall size tv).

The only reason im not interested in OLED is burnin. Rting has a an article about that (and on going test for 2017 model) and its a risk factor confirmed by quite a few review sites.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permane ... n-lcd-oled

Considering most channels have news/score/or channel logos that stay on the screen, burnin is a huge issue and im not too interested in babying a panel. Even the 2018 models still has burnin risk according to rtings and thats pretty much enough for me personally to not consider LG OLED (which means any OLED since LGD supplies everyone else).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15918 posts
3217 upvotes
Toronto
Kursor17 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 12:06 pm
Blacks and motion better than Pioneer Kuro Elite Plasma?

Time to replace Plasma or wait until OLED have exceeded every aspect of Plasma?
Plasma has instant response times so no input lag. However, LG OLED is only about 21 ms which is quite low. Plasma has better motion handling too.

For most other characteristics, OLED easily beats plasma. Well-mastered 4K plus HDR is a revelation.

I have a plasma. It’s only a lower end 720p one and it has nice characteristics but overall the OLED simply blows it away. One thing that always annoyed me about the plasmas is the very low brightness. Really hard to watch during the day in a room with significant ambient light. OLEDs aren’t super bright either but the 2017 and later models are still way, way more bright than the plasmas so that watching with lots of ambient light is not a problem.

BTW, I was thinking of getting something like a Sony X940E 75” LCD but once I started looking at even the high end VA TVs in store, I was not impressed by the viewing angles, and somehow the image just didn’t look as “real” as the OLEDs.
Last edited by EugW on Aug 13th, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1714 posts
474 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 11:25 am
Wow that’s awesome. That’s significantly lower than every other report I’ve seen.

Who is the seller though? I don’t think I’d buy unless I could confirm it’s an authorized seller. Otherwise getting warranty work could be an issue.

Anyhow, I’d expect the C8 65” to be under $3000 this Black Friday or at the various shows. The B8 might be cheaper though, since the C8 has a real advantage this year.

Anyone get pricing for a 77” model at one of the shows? I think someone in the thread where I was asking about pricing said they didn’t get good deals on the 77”.

Also, what’s the cheapest for third party calibration? I wanted calibration too. The LG factory colours seem a bit off to me, and not as good as most Sonys out of the box. Rtings seems to agree. LG OLEDs calibrate well but aren’t great for colour calibration out of the box.
molexir wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 12:08 pm
I almost don't want to believe you (only because I could've been enjoying OLED goodness all this time - damn it!).
I've been watching the LG OLED prices like a hawk ready to swoop down and buy; unfortunately even the 2017 models haven't hit the sweet point in pricing I'm looking for.
I would strongly advise at this point waiting for CNE and especially the last day. I've typically always bought from Bestbuy since I figured the name credibility. At CNE you have the option of HiFi Citi. As reluctant as I was, i was surprised by great customer service and easy pick up. Delivery was free too but a few days out.

I'd also suggest waiting to pick it up on the last day of CNE as discounts get better.

The 7 series was fairly new last year in September. Pricing for 65B7 was $2400 and 65E7 was $3000. 55B7 was around $2000 mark. This was better than black Friday and boxing day especially on E7 as I dont think it went down more than $3500 during those times.
Mar 1, 2009
20 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Is the burn in issue enough to warrant paying more at Costco and getting their extended warranty? Vs the buying cheaper like teletime hifi city?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15918 posts
3217 upvotes
Toronto
evaaseow wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 3:40 pm
Is the burn in issue enough to warrant paying more at Costco and getting their extended warranty? Vs the buying cheaper like teletime hifi city?
I don’t think burn-in is covered.
itrocks4u wrote:
I would strongly advise at this point waiting for CNE and especially the last day. I've typically always bought from Bestbuy since I figured the name credibility. At CNE you have the option of HiFi Citi. As reluctant as I was, i was surprised by great customer service and easy pick up. Delivery was free too but a few days out.

I'd also suggest waiting to pick it up on the last day of CNE as discounts get better.

The 7 series was fairly new last year in September. Pricing for 65B7 was $2400 and 65E7 was $3000. 55B7 was around $2000 mark. This was better than black Friday and boxing day especially on E7 as I dont think it went down more than $3500 during those times.
That’s some awesome pricing, but I think just not having to pay for parking and CNE admission and fighting the crowds is worth $200 alone. ;)

However, if they start offering those types of deals on the 77” I’ll do that. A 77” OLED is my holy grail TV size for my space.
Last edited by EugW on Aug 11th, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1714 posts
474 upvotes
evaaseow wrote:
EugW wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 3:42 pm
I don’t think burn-in is covered.
Only best buy covers burn in.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2657 posts
1472 upvotes
Vancouver
evaaseow wrote:
Costco extended warranty does not cover burnin.

Only BB extended warranty covers burnin (it states as one of the things covered in the fine prints, US site but if you get one of their booklets in store, its the same thing).

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/geek-squad ... 0100050012

If someone claims to offer it in their extended warranty, ask them politely to point out in the fine prints since burn-in needs to clearly stated or you might have issues if you try to make a claim. After all, its nothing new for salesperson to promise you just about anything to make a sale... when it comes time to claim, its not their problem anymore.
Aug 17, 2009
219 posts
70 upvotes
Victoria
Kursor17 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 12:06 pm
Blacks and motion better than Pioneer Kuro Elite Plasma?

Time to replace Plasma or wait until OLED have exceeded every aspect of Plasma?
I would wait. As a former owner of a Pioneer Kuro plasma, my 65 inch B7 OLED is better in some respects (4k and HDR obviously) but certainly not all. If I knew then what I know now, I would hold off for another few years of panel development. When I first got the OLED and the Kuro connected side-by-side with the same source. Within the limits of 1080p and SDR, the Kuro was astonishingly close to the OLED in overall PQ. However, if you want a new high performance TV sooner rather than later, the OLED is generally considered to be the best overall picture available.
Mar 1, 2009
20 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Wow ok thanks! Did not know Costco did not cover burn in. Now my question changes to is it worth to spend the extra dollars at B.B. on top of the warranty cost to protect against burn in?
Aug 17, 2009
219 posts
70 upvotes
Victoria
evaaseow wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 4:49 pm
Wow ok thanks! Did not know Costco did not cover burn in. Now my question changes to is it worth to spend the extra dollars at B.B. on top of the warranty cost to protect against burn in?
It depends on your viewing habits. If you game continuously for hours, or watch shows with tickers a lot, there's potential concern. Especially if you use very bright settings. If you look at the owner's thread on AVS, most owners don't have a problem. IR and BI (Image Retention and Burn-in) are rarely mentioned. And I've read all 30,000+ posts. :-)
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled- ... -talk.html
Mar 24, 2011
375 posts
59 upvotes
Vancouver
it's still expensive.. new country appilances has it for $2199 for the 65"
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14500 posts
1820 upvotes
Toronto
Title says 65" but screen size under "More Information" description says 55"?

$2200 for BNIB would be an incredible price.

https://www.newcountryappliances.com/lg ... c7p-1.html

Also:

Since our inventory changes frequently, please contact us to verify stock before placing order.
Prices may vary depending on cosmetic condition of the product. Products sold by us include freight damaged, overstocks, floor models, refurbished and customer returns.
Dec 6, 2008
450 posts
147 upvotes
Vancouver
London drugs has the 65 b7 on mangers special ever weekend 2599 and the c8 for 3499
i got 99 problems but PM'ing ain't one ;)
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2657 posts
1472 upvotes
Vancouver
evaaseow wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 4:49 pm
It depends...

First it dependa on how much you get extended warranty from BB for. Generally speaking, if you haggle, you can get it for 50% off, which means it will cost about $300 or so plus tax. That isnt bad but it also depends on if you decide you need it or not.

The other factor is how much are you willing to baby it. By that i mean giving it breaks every so often (say a few minutes every hr or so) or making sure you avoid static images for extended periods. That could also mean changing channels every so often. Im not sure if OLED has any option like Pioneer did with Kuro where they will move everything a few pixels just to help avoid burnins.

Note burnin generally wont happen quickly and the first year or so, the odds of actually having burnin is small. Of course over time as part grow older, the risk of burnin increases. Also having the same image (say watch sportsnet daily or something with the trackers) would increase the risk because exposure to the same static image over longer period increases the odds of burnin.

There are tools that help lessen the effect or even fix minor burnins too. So although its a deal breaker for me, its not a deal breaker for everyone. Of course one of the factors for me is im a gamer too so static hubs is a common thing for me and im not going to exactly time how long i game (nor adjust my usage for a tv... after all im buying a tv for my entertainment not to baby it lol). One of the reasons i never got a plasma either despite buying quite a few tvs over the yrs (friends think im crazy since i have multiple screens in everyroom except guest rooms/bathrooms, including my bedroom and kitchen lol). My dad bought a 55” LG plasma years ago when i was still in school and he loves it, still doesnt have any burnin issues (tho its not his primary tv anymore, just tv in his room) so its possible to avoid burnins.

Thread Information

There are currently 11 users viewing this thread. (8 members and 3 guests)

Ahmer1, Tangatron, DarkC, Apollo74, Kader, renegadez, Boots, skinnydoggy