Hot Deals

[LG] 2018 LG OLED TVs on sale *** <$1900 for 55" C8 | <$2800 for 65" C8 | <$7800 for 77" C8 ***

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2019 10:20 am
May 20, 2008
410 posts
200 upvotes
Vaudreuil-Dorion
EugW wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 7:26 am
That’s an IPS TV. Not recommended unless it’s a bright room.
Was supposed to go in my basement, which isn't really bright either. Thank you for saving me!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15919 posts
3218 upvotes
Toronto
FreddDaSilva wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 7:38 am
Was supposed to go in my basement, which isn't really bright either. Thank you for saving me!
Do you watch with all the lights on like with sports? That would qualify as bright. Not good for movie watching with the lights off. Main issue is poor (grey) blacks but if you’re always watching with all lights on then it doesn’t matter so much.

Check out rtings.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/sk9000
Jul 11, 2009
247 posts
56 upvotes
We recently purchased the 65" B8. I have to say we are a little disappointed with picture quality for some content. 4K YouTube vids and most 4K Netflix stuff looks great, but regular cable (e.g. CNN, football, etc.) seems a little more blurred than I would have expected. We sit about 7 feet from TV. Were our expectations too high or should the cable content be better/sharper?
Apr 9, 2011
6 posts
Toronto
Hey @Hibbing, any chance Mike/Rico have a deal for the 65" Sony A8F?
Dec 26, 2012
367 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
Whatever happened to HiFi CITI in Dufferin Mall?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15919 posts
3218 upvotes
Toronto
chipspew wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 8:45 am
We recently purchased the 65" B8. I have to say we are a little disappointed with picture quality for some content. 4K YouTube vids and most 4K Netflix stuff looks great, but regular cable (e.g. CNN, football, etc.) seems a little more blurred than I would have expected. We sit about 7 feet from TV. Were our expectations too high or should the cable content be better/sharper?
What do you mean by "blurred"?

If you mean motion blur, that is one of the issues of OLED, although there are ways to mitigate that in the settings.

If you mean upscaling quality, the best upscalers in the industry right now are probably Sony and Panasonic. LG has been improving, but according to reviews, while LG is much better than companies like Vizio, LG still hasn't caught up to Sony. But that old adage still rings true: Garbage in, garbage out.
oakley0023 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 9:36 am
Whatever happened to HiFi CITI in Dufferin Mall?
Didn't it close down?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 28, 2005
6387 posts
50 upvotes
Hmmm will it be super blurred on a c8? I primarily watch NFL on my tv.
EugW wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 9:51 am

If you mean motion blur, that is one of the issues of OLED, although there are ways to mitigate that in the settings.

If you mean upscaling quality, the best upscalers in the industry right now are probably Sony and Panasonic. LG has been improving, but according to reviews, while LG is much better than companies like Vizio, LG still hasn't caught up to Sony. But that old adage still rings true: Garbage in, garbage out.

Didn't it close down?
- Private Investigator...
Jul 11, 2009
247 posts
56 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 9:51 am

I don't mean motion blur, although I have noticed a bit of that but not bad. I mean that people's faces or just some detail in general seems a little less crisp or defined than I would have thought.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
10648 posts
5792 upvotes
Richmond Hill
So no one here has picked up a 77"? If anyone did are you happy with it? Shit I'm still waiting for my wifes massage chair to be delivered...maybe I should have picked up the 77" instead :(
Sep 24, 2017
97 posts
21 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Yes you can Revoke additional warranty, if it's not part of the deal, check your receipt if this appears as line item than you can revoke it and get money back., I have done that earlier
pentexplorer wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 5:20 pm
cool ok got it, do you think there's a chance I can revoke the extra 3 - year warranty from visions if I go back today ? Has anyone done that?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15919 posts
3218 upvotes
Toronto
Spray wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 9:53 am
Hmmm will it be super blurred on a c8? I primarily watch NFL on my tv.
You may or may not might like the image for NFL on your TV, although I'm not the best to assess this since I don't watch much football.

But I'll provide my two cents. The advantage of OLED is that it tends to have pretty good screen uniformity so you don't get the dirty screen effect that plagues many LCD/LED TVs for stuff like football, hockey, and tennis. However, the motion handling makes it annoying to watch at times. You can add interpolation to help but I personally hate the soap opera effect, and the LG TVs introduce more motion artifacts than the Sony TVs. Some TV gurus recommend turning on LG's TruMotion for football, and then turning it back off (or at least turning it down) for movies. As for the motion artifacts, they may or may not matter to you, and some people don't actually see it. However, I tend to notice them and I find them annoying, and I also find soap opera effect annoying, so I leave motion interpolation off. But like I said, I don't watch much sports, so it's not really a big deal for me.

Another problem with OLEDs and sports is the automatic brightness limiter. It should be OK for football, but for hockey, it can cause the screen to dim regularly. The TV analyzes the scene and if it thinks it is too bright, it will dim the screen with ABL to protect it from burn-in. I don't think this would be issue with most NFL games, but it is an issue with some hockey games, which would be analogous to white snow scenes in movies - bright white everywhere.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15919 posts
3218 upvotes
Toronto
chipspew wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 10:00 am
I don't mean motion blur, although I have noticed a bit of that but not bad. I mean that people's faces or just some detail in general seems a little less crisp or defined than I would have thought.
It sounds like you are talking about upscaling quality.

1) As mentioned, LG is rated pretty good, but not the best. The best is probably Sony.
2) You can try playing with some of the picture quality settings, to smooth things out.
3) The bigger the TV, the worse it will look.

EP32k2 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 10:02 am
So no one here has picked up a 77"? If anyone did are you happy with it? Shit I'm still waiting for my wifes massage chair to be delivered...maybe I should have picked up the 77" instead :(
The pricing has been a little under $8000, but well above $7500, so I guess that's holding people back. FWIW, some people have been complaining about transformer buzzing with the 77" model.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
10648 posts
5792 upvotes
Richmond Hill
EugW wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 10:09 am
It sounds like you are talking about upscaling quality.

1) As mentioned, LG is rated pretty good, but not the best. The best is probably Sony.
2) You can try playing with some of the picture quality settings, to smooth things out.
3) The bigger the TV, the worse it will look.

The pricing has been a little under $8000, but well above $7500, so I guess that's holding people back. FWIW, some people have been complaining about transformer buzzing with the 77" model.
That's not good. Yeah pricing is still out there for sure, will probably start seeing more owners once it hits below $5000 is my guess.
Feb 6, 2010
90 posts
5 upvotes
Norfolk County
TechChopper wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 6:24 pm
If you get the Quantum please post your impressions, from reviews it seems P Quantum is as good as the 5K CAD Q9FN which supposedly is technically as good as the C8

I would’ve bought the Q9FN over the C8 if they had the same price but it was 5 grand vs 3 grand

For your question , the bigger the better, for TV’s it is never large enough
If I end up with the PQ, I will certainly report back!

Thread Information

There are currently 9 users viewing this thread. (5 members and 4 guests)

shermm, asrm, sikkinixx, deals168, drambeau1