Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
LG

2018 LG OLED TVs on sale - Ongoing thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2019 8:13 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
SPACEMANRICK wrote: I just picked up our 55" 2017 LG model 55B7P for $1,799 from London Drugs in Langley. If anyone is interested, London Drugs at several stores in the lower mainland and also their warehouse has the new in the box 2017 65" LG model for $2,699.

I was considering the 65" LG 65B7P for $2,699 but decided the 65" screen might be just a little too big for my living room. Interesting decision for some people may be deciding between the 55" 2018 model for $2,699 or the 65" 2017 model also for $2,699.
Awesome pricing. Too bad we don't have London Drugs here in Ontario.

I'll be paying ~$400 more, but I'm getting the C8.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
vonblock wrote: Video game on pause will never cause burn in. The OLED detect static image and dim the image almost completely.
Actually depends on the static image. We did a small test on my friends tv (2017 b) and nba 2k18 mid game pause did not dim. It actually depends on the game and if there is some background motion in the game (in nba for example, the background changes while in menu).

For most games, you are right, it does dim after a minute or so including no activity in ni no kuni or pause in madden 19. There are some exceptions tho so that’s something to test right away to ensure or get into a habit of just pause and turn off the screen (and CEC off too or might turn off the console too).
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm not ready to replace my TV yet, but I think with burn-in still a real possibility, I would choose to go with Costco if I were to buy my OLED set.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Paigne wrote: Actually depends on the static image. We did a small test on my friends tv (2017 b) and nba 2k18 mid game pause did not dim. It actually depends on the game and if there is some background motion in the game (in nba for example, the background changes while in menu).

For most games, you are right, it does dim after a minute or so including no activity in ni no kuni or pause in madden 19. There are some exceptions tho so that’s something to test right away to ensure or get into a habit of just pause and turn off the screen (and CEC off too or might turn off the console too).
Yeah, static image.

Of course if you pause and there's a moving background, it's not gonna work.

It detect static image, not game pausing.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Everyone is now advertising the 77" C8 for $9999.

Also, I note that a very few people have been able to get the 77" C8 in the US for US$5500, which under CAD$7200.

I'm going to stick with the 65" for now, and let the technology mature a bit and prices come down on the 75-77" models.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22157 posts
10322 upvotes
Toronto
vonblock wrote: I don't know

BURNED-IN PHOSPHOR IN CATHODE RAY TUBES OR
ANY OTHER TYPE OF DISPLAY

Technically, OLED is not phosphor burned, so if we're interpreting it rightly, it's not mentioning OLED type of burn in.
Not sure how strictly the insurance company out Costco will interpret the terms of the warranty. In my situation, I am not worried about burn in because I don't use the TV for anything but movies.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote: Not sure how strictly the insurance company out Costco will interpret the terms of the warranty. In my situation, I am not worried about burn in because I don't use the TV for anything but movies.
I'm not too concerned about burn in either. I don't watch much TV, and I don't even get CNN right now anyway. Even if I did watch more CNN, it'd be on my living room IPS Sony XBR 43X800E which has zero possibility of burn-in. The OLED is for my dedicated media room with Dolby Atmos sound. It's mainly Netflix and movies.

BTW, my previous living room TV was a plasma. I did occasionally get short term image retention early on, but after a while I didn't get that. Certainly no burn-in. It's now my home office TV.
audit13 wrote: If my tv had burn-in and LG was willing to give me a refund and I get to keep the tv, I would certainly consider taking their offer.
Yeah, even if I couldn't keep the TV, I'd take the offer. I don't expect a company to refund more than the amount I paid for the TV. This is I guess one of the few downsides of getting a very good discount on the purchase price.

If anything, I'd say this puts the LG warranty in a good light, because I was under the impression that LG doesn't even cover burn-in.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16761 posts
8093 upvotes
EugW wrote: Everyone is now advertising the 77" C8 for $9999.

Also, I note that a very few people have been able to get the 77" C8 in the US for US$5500, which under CAD$7200.

I'm going to stick with the 65" for now, and let the technology mature a bit and prices come down on the 75-77" models.
Thanks. That is a *massive* price drop. The last time I checked those TVs were over $25,000.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
vonblock wrote: Yeah, static image.

Of course if you pause and there's a moving background, it's not gonna work.

It detect static image, not game pausing.
Exactly meaning the user needs to be careful and it might be worth doing minor tests to see if pause is really a static pause or a motion pause because that makes a difference. Main reason i wouldnt consider the tv due to needing to baby it... basically need extra care for different uses instead of plug, setup, and pretty much never worry about it again (except the odd updates).

If you are willing to baby it (avoid certian things that could cause issues) and dont watch specific content, its impossible to beat the picture quality right now. Personally ill go with high end LEDs until microLED matures and becomes competitively priced (i.e. 100k is not competitive lol).
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2012
1062 posts
543 upvotes
Toronto
I have been playing Fortnite a lot since it's launch last Summer and unfortunately I have burn in from the in game HUD on my 55" LG OLED B7.

TV was from that sketchy tv store in Dufferin mall that is now long gone I think? I used my credit card, so double warranty as it is passed the 1 year from LG.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote: Thanks. That is a *massive* price drop. The last time I checked those TVs were over $25,000.
Part of the reason is that in 2018, LG has brought the 77" to the C line of TVs. IIRC, in 2017 the only two models were a G7 and a W7, both premium models (not in terms of the panel, but in terms of the design and aesthetics, and the speaker system).

The 77" W7 had a list price of $19999, but the 77" C8 has a list price of $11999, which makes sense since currently the Sony 77" (based off the same panel) is $12999, which is a price drop from the original $16999. The Sony has an arguably better SoC though, and some have said the Sony models are better colour calibrated out of the factory.

IIRC, last week the sales were only on the 55" and 65" models, but it seems LG has extended this sale to the 77" this weekend, as the $9999 price is now ubiquitous. However, it was really, really easy to get stores to sell the 77" model for $9999, so that's not a surprise I guess.

I had said to myself that I wouldn't buy an OLED until it dropped below $3000, but $3100 is close enough. ;) However, I think it's unrealistic to expect a 75-77" OLED below $3000 within the next 3 years. Maybe if it drops below CAD$5000 I'll buy one though.

Anyone want to buy a Sony VPL-HW45ES projector? ;)
oakley0023 wrote: I have been playing Fortnite a lot since it's launch last Summer and unfortunately I have burn in from the in game HUD on my 55" LG OLED B7.

TV was from that sketchy tv store in Dufferin mall that is now long gone I think? I used my credit card, so double warranty as it is passed the 1 year from LG.
Sorry to hear about that. Note that credit card warranty wouldn't cover burn-in either.

We are not currently gamers and I have warned my wife that she shouldn't be using that TV to watch continuous news feeds and the like, but she doesn't do that anyway.
Last edited by EugW on Aug 19th, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16761 posts
8093 upvotes
EugW wrote: Part of the reason is that in 2018, LG has brought the 77" to the C line of TVs. IIRC, in 2017 the only two models were a G7 and a W7, both premium models (not in terms of the panel, but in terms of the design and aesthetics, and the speaker system).

The 77" W7 had a list price of $19999, but the 77" C8 has a list price of $11999, which makes sense since currently the Sony 77" (based off the same panel) is $12999, which is a price drop from the original $16999. The Sony has an arguably better SoC though, and some have said the Sony models are better colour calibrated out of the factory.

I had said to myself that I wouldn't buy an OLED until it dropped below $3000, but $3100 is close enough. ;) However, I think it's unrealistic to expect a 75-77" OLED below $3000 within the next 3 years. Maybe if it drops below CAD$5000 I'll buy one though.

Anyone want to buy a Sony VPL-HW45ES projector? ;)

Sorry to hear about that. Note that credit card warranty wouldn't cover burn-in either.

We are not currently gamers and I have warned my wife that she shouldn't be using that TV to watch continuous news feeds and the like, but she doesn't do that anyway.
I dunno. OLED is certainly better. My iPhone X is my first real exposure to an OLED screen. I will say however that it is not meaningfully better than the IPS LED display on my old LG G6 phone the vast majority of the time. Perhaps OLEDs are better in a dark room. But 95% of the time I notice virtually no difference. Perhaps it looks better during movies or fast action sports. But from what I have seen I have been disappointed personally as I expected more. I have a 75" 4k HDR TV now and it's going to take a pretty awesome television deal to get me to upgrade from what I have. No regrets at all so far.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote: I dunno. OLED is certainly better. My iPhone X is my first real exposure to an OLED screen. I will say however that it is not meaningfully better than the IPS LED display on my old LG G6 phone the vast majority of the time. Perhaps OLEDs are better in a dark room. But 95% of the time I notice virtually no difference. Perhaps it looks better during movies or fast action sports. But from what I have seen I have been disappointed personally as I expected more. I have a 75" 4k HDR TV now and it's going to take a pretty awesome television deal to get me to upgrade from what I have. No regrets at all so far.
For a phone, for the longest time I preferred IPS, simply because it was brighter. I will likely get an OLED phone this year though.

However, for TV, OLED is indeed certainly better in many regards (except burn-in). I was all smiles yesterday looking at a starry night scene in Stranger Things with no hit of blooming whatsoever. OLED is not susceptible to blooming, but it's a hard problem for LCDs to deal with. Furthermore, the gray blacks on projectors and LCDs drive me nuts. The high end 4K HDR TVs control it pretty well, but the pricing on those isn't exactly cheap either.

Since I was coming from a 1080p projector (purchased in 2016), it was an easier decision for me to jump straight to OLED, since I wouldn't actually be replacing any TV. Actually I was all set to buy a VA LCD with local dimming, but the viewing angles bugged me, and OLED pricing has dropped so much these days that I changed my mind.

If I had a decent 75" VA LCD already though, I wouldn't be upgrading.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Paigne wrote: Exactly meaning the user needs to be careful and it might be worth doing minor tests to see if pause is really a static pause or a motion pause because that makes a difference. Main reason i wouldnt consider the tv due to needing to baby it... basically need extra care for different uses instead of plug, setup, and pretty much never worry about it again (except the odd updates).

If you are willing to baby it (avoid certian things that could cause issues) and dont watch specific content, its impossible to beat the picture quality right now. Personally ill go with high end LEDs until microLED matures and becomes competitively priced (i.e. 100k is not competitive lol).
All good thing in life need a little babysitting!

I love to pamper my OLED!

YMMV!
Mar 14, 2006
998 posts
579 upvotes
Coquitlam
SPACEMANRICK wrote: I just picked up our 55" 2017 LG model 55B7P for $1,799 from London Drugs in Langley. If anyone is interested, London Drugs at several stores in the lower mainland and also their warehouse has the new in the box 2017 65" LG model for $2,699.

I was considering the 65" LG 65B7P for $2,699 but decided the 65" screen might be just a little too big for my living room. Interesting decision for some people may be deciding between the 55" 2018 model for $2,699 or the 65" 2017 model also for $2,699.
Well I setup our 55" LG 55B7P and there is a crack in the screen so I am going to return it to London Drugs!

I am now considering upgrading to the 65" model because the 55" screen actually looks a little smaller than I thought it would. Our sofa is 12 feet from the TV so I am thinking a 60" TV would be about perfect but unfortunately the LG only comes in 55" and 65". Any thoughts on going for the 65" instead of the 55" considering our room size and the $900 difference (from $1,799 to $2,699) for the extra 10 inches?
Images
  • 20180819_184743_resized_1.jpg
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1990 posts
1047 upvotes
Winnipeg
SPACEMANRICK wrote: Well I setup our 55" LG 55B7P and there is a crack in the screen so I am going to return it to London Drugs!

I am now considering upgrading to the 65" model because the 55" screen actually looks a little smaller than I thought it would. Our sofa is 12 feet from the TV so I am thinking a 60" TV would be about perfect but unfortunately the LG only comes in 55" and 65". Any thoughts on going for the 65" instead of the 55" considering our room size and the $900 difference (from $1,799 to $2,699) for the extra 10 inches?
$2699 is a great price for the 65"
Lorenzo
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
SPACEMANRICK wrote: Well I setup our 55" LG 55B7P and there is a crack in the screen so I am going to return it to London Drugs!

12 feet is pretty far. I have just a 43" TV at 12 feet, but it's mainly for the kids and news. Plus, about 48" is the maximum size that would fit in our TV cabinet, and we didn't want a monstrous TV in our living room. OTOH, in my home theatre, I have a 65" at 7.5 feet, and I would prefer a 77" at that distance, as I used to have a 90" projector image at about 9 feet and 12.5 feet.

So, on the one hand, 65" is pretty big aesthetically for a small room, as it dominates the room, but if you don't mind that and are just looking for good image quality and an immersive experience, then 65" is actually a bit too small.

Check out the rtings page on this: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-si ... lationship

Basically, at 12 feet, 65" is really the bare minimum, and at that distance with that TV size, you likely won't even be able to appreciate the detail from 4K. That's a size that is appropriate for a 1080p TV. OTOH, you'll still get the other benefits, which include beautiful blacks and HDR.

tl;dr:

Get the 65" especially at that great price, unless you don't like a big rectangle dominating the room.
Mar 14, 2006
998 posts
579 upvotes
Coquitlam
Thanks for the feedback! After reading your comment and looking at the chart in your link I am definitely now leaning towards the 65" model. I called the store in Langley that I bought our TV at today and they have the 65" model new in the box in their store.

I will keep everyone posted Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)