Ongoing Deal Discussion

[LG] 2018 LG OLED TVs on sale - Ongoing thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2019 10:38 am
Oct 17, 2018
82 posts
49 upvotes
1500+ replies and 100+ pages! Wow! Happy TV buying everyone. I’m 99% to closing on a 65” C8 for $2800 at my local Visions.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16982 posts
3846 upvotes
Toronto
Mark350 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 12:56 pm
They did a TV shootout awhile back with the top LG, Sony and Samsung TVs and Samsung came in dead last, like they usually do. LG lost by a few points to Sony's flagship OLED, but if you factor in the price difference the LG is a no brainer.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?s ... 1537850002
Sony and LG OLEDs are the same panels. However, Sony has the superior SoC, probably best in class. One problem with Sony though is their approach to specular highlights. They just hard clip all detail out at high brightness. Anything above a certain nit level is just shown as white. In contrast (no pun intended), LG (in 2018) compresses the dynamic range at the upper end so that specular highlight detail is maintained, albeit at lower brightness. IMO, this is the superior approach.

However, for 4K UHD Blu-rays, it may not matter if you buy the right player. For example, Panasonic's UB420 has settings that do the same thing, so the specular highlight detail at those high brightness values will be maintained on Sony TVs too if you want.

The other picture-related issue (feature?) with the Sonys is that their auto-brightness limiter algorithm is much more aggressive than LG's, meaning that unwanted screen dimming on bright scenes will happen more frequently on the Sonys than the LGs.

Also, one non-picture-related issue is Sony's crappy Android TV interface. It's not Sony's fault per se. It's just that Android TV needs serious work, but at least I can live with it.
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 12:02 pm
I think Dolby Vision is overrated if you already have a good panel, but I've included your note.
Dolby Vision if done well is very nice. That's why Samsung is pushing HDR10+, as it's a very similar technology.
Oct 23, 2018
10 posts
Mark350 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2018 8:36 pm
Sorry I didn't ask about the 55" price.

What I did was email every Visions in the lower mainland asking what their best price for the 65" C8 was. Most replied very quickly, some with high prices such as $31xx. Anyways, Langley gave me a price of $2920, and the guy from Surrey said he'd give me his wholesale price of $2800.

You can find all of the emails for each store here, it goes straight to the store managers. https://m.visions.ca/#/home-contact

The Surrey guys email is manager45@visions.ca

He wasn't able to be there when I actually bought the TV but he let another worker know all the details. The worker was pushing the extra warranty pretty hard but I stood my ground. The funny thing was he showed me a picture of burn in saying that won't be covered since I'm not getting the warranty. He shut up after I told him they don't cover burn in anyways.

Anyways, give him a shout and see what he says!

Oh and I think they deliver but it costs extra, I brought my pickup truck.

May I ask if the price of 2,800 included tax?
Feb 26, 2009
750 posts
124 upvotes
On the OLED burn-in topic...

If CNN goes to commercial breaks every 10-15 minutes, doesn't that sort of interrupt the continuity of the logo?

BTW, picked up my 55" C8 last night from Visions Dixie/Dundas. Got it up and running in 15 minutes. Will spend the next few days tinkering with all the adjustments.
May 12, 2008
68 posts
39 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm so tempted to go out and buy the 65" C8.... but doing more research I'm confused as to whether this is the right time to get a new 4K TV. (I'm still on 1080p). The standard for HDR seems to be non-standardized right now and the HDMI specs are still evolving as well. It seems like we are in the same space as back when we first hopped on the HD age of Blue Ray vs HD DVD. It's almost a gamble whether you will end up with the right specs, what with HDR10+ joining in the battle and HDMI 2.1 just around the corner. I am struggling between jumping in now or waiting till next year to see whether LG will end up supporting HDR10+ (unlikely considering it's Samsung) and HDMI 2.1.
Mar 11, 2002
712 posts
172 upvotes
Evagelion wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 2:52 pm
I'm so tempted to go out and buy the 65" C8.... but doing more research I'm confused as to whether this is the right time to get a new 4K TV. (I'm still on 1080p). The standard for HDR seems to be non-standardized right now and the HDMI specs are still evolving as well. It seems like we are in the same space as back when we first hopped on the HD age of Blue Ray vs HD DVD. It's almost a gamble whether you will end up with the right specs, what with HDR10+ joining in the battle and HDMI 2.1 just around the corner. I am struggling between jumping in now or waiting till next year to see whether LG will end up supporting HDR10+ (unlikely considering it's Samsung) and HDMI 2.1.
my $0.02 if you are happy with your 1080p sources and don't "need" (subjective) to go out and get a new TV a couple of things to consider while you are waiting

- Native HDMI 2.1 support with eARC support - With everyone flogging the Dolby Vision/Atmos combo you have no way of using your "smart Features" back to a soundbar or receiver in the uncompressed format without those two things.
- While I have a non-Dolby Vision TV my understanding is HDR10+ / Dolby Vision are the Blu ray/HD-DVD battle of this generation one being a licensed format and the other being open source.
- I read somewhere that Dolby Vision's biggest strength is the 12bit colour space? All the panels in this thread are 10 bit displays.. so yea...

Would wait for this time next year to see how the above play themselves out. :)
Jul 11, 2009
549 posts
221 upvotes
Canada
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 12:02 pm
I think Dolby Vision is overrated if you already have a good panel, but I've included your note.

Thank you.
Thanks for this.

But, doesn't the Samsung Q9's come with HDR10+ - which is a competing Dolby vision technology? Q9s do seem to be significantly more expensive than the Q8s though..
Dec 14, 2017
79 posts
39 upvotes
Evagelion wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it man. If you wait for HDMI 2.1 then you'll hear about 8k being just around the corner after that, it's never ending. Barely anyone is supporting HDR10+, where big players like Netflix support Dolby Vision. It's not much of a gamble, HDMI 2.1 doesn't have a whole lot of features that help current TVs, it's more so for the future when 8k becomes the norm.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16982 posts
3846 upvotes
Toronto
Evagelion wrote:
HDR has been standardized on HDR10, with Dolby Vision offering a higher end version of HDR that's also relatively widely adopted. The LG C8 has both. The LG C8 does not have HDR10+, but for the time being there isn't much adoption of HDR10+. Ideally, you would have all three, but that's not an option. So, if you have to choose two out of those three, the two to choose are HDR10 (which is the mandatory 4K UHD HDR format anyway), and Dolby Vision.

True full HDMI 2.1 chipsets were only recently released (as in last month), which means that spring 2019 TVs will not have HDMI 2.1. You really shouldn't expect true full HDMI 2.1 until 2020, aside from a few few ultra-high-end flagships.

I hope to upgrade to a 77" OLED in 2022, after 4 years with my 65" C8 purchased a few months ago in 2018.
Aug 12, 2018
5 posts
Bellyhungry wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 2:10 pm
On the OLED burn-in topic...

If CNN goes to commercial breaks every 10-15 minutes, doesn't that sort of interrupt the continuity of the logo?

BTW, picked up my 55" C8 last night from Visions Dixie/Dundas. Got it up and running in 15 minutes. Will spend the next few days tinkering with all the adjustments.
How much did you end up getting it for?
Aug 21, 2005
304 posts
192 upvotes
North York, ON
I've had 65" TVs with Dolby Vision for about 6 months (P65 and LG OLED). Full disclosure, neither were professionally calibrated.

I've viewed different sources of DV, including Netflix and UHD Blu-Ray (Despicable Me, which had great reviews on the DV) and haven't been too impressed. If I saw side by side comparisons I might notice a difference, but just by looking at it I haven't seen what the big deal is about. It's certainly not as big a difference as there is between HDR and non-HDR. It's nice to have, sure, but it's not a feature that would be a deal breaker for me. Having said that, it is nice to know that I have the "superior" version compared to regular HDR (though HDR10+ will probably level the playing field).

I think that HDMI 2.1 would be a bigger deal than Dolby Vision, but who knows when that adoption will take place. I had hoped it would be this year since the spec has been out for a while, but that didn't happen and I didn't want to wait any longer. I'm happy with my C8, and when HDMI 2.1 comes along I'll just shrug my shoulders and be happy that I've had over a year of enjoyment with my UHD TVs.
Oct 12, 2013
402 posts
158 upvotes
Surrey
My connect from visions Vancouver bc just gave me the green light on 2800 + tax for an lg oled 65 c8

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)