Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
LG

2018 LG OLED TVs on sale - Ongoing thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2019 8:13 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
vonblock wrote: There's zero proof that taking a break will prevent burn in.

There's also currently zero tool to reverse burn in once it's there.

Burn in on 2018 OLED got an extra protection feature with logo dimmer setting. It should be even harder to burn, especially on high setting.

Unless you're a CNN or MSNBC addict, the tv should not burn. Red and yellow static logo are the worst.

If you're planning on playing the same game for 1000+ hours and it has a lot of red and yellow static elements... You should thick twice.
Taking breaks will actually help in letting the panel rest but I’m not referring to just breaks but also changes so the pixel does some other things as well (say different game or channel).

There are tools that help lessen the effect once burnin is set. Doesn’t always work but based on avs forums and some reddit post, it does lessen the burnin effect to a point where it’s usable or less noticeable.

TV shows might or might not burn in. It’s not just cnn or news channel but a lot of channels now have watermarks (including Netflix). They generally aren’t bright so the risk of burnin isn’t high but it will be there.

Plus again I’m not saying every panel will burn in or it’s a fetal flaw for everyone. It is for me and the risk exist as documented by every professional review site. Some mark it down as an insanely low risk like vertical lines developing (which is a risk for basically every tv). For me, it’s a complete write off. There are many choices in tv and I prefer one without burnin risk over one with it regardless of how remote. If that means inferior picture quality then it means inferior picture quality. I bought 3 TVs (4 if you count the one for my dad) and not once consider oled but I’m happy with my purchase. 2 of them in OLED price range (except 75”) but again OLED was never even a finalist when I was making the choice (and I had the option to get a 65” oled for $300 more than 75mu8000 or $500 more 75x850e).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Paigne wrote: It does give a good idea and like I said the first year or so it’s unlikely there will be any issues. It’s when parts die down that issue starts so any panel that has temp image retention of any sort is off my list.

Plus as a gamer, sometime I might take a call in the middle of a game (pause screen) and every so often those calls take a while. Really don’t want to worry about turning off my tv every time I take a call that might end up being a call back to the office or friend needing help with something that isn’t resolvable in a few minutes.

I think one of the main killers for plasma was people pausing or finishing a movie while falling asleep. Real world test won’t account for that but it does happen.
Don't worry about pausing game. If the tv detect a fixed image for more than 60 seconds, it will dim the tv to the maximum.

You can leave it there for thousands of hours and it won't matter.

Also I'm not sure i understand the logic behind part falling apart on the TV that create burn in. This is not how burn in work on those tv.

Anyway, i do not recommend OLED myself to non tech people (i just recommended the Sony X900e for a friend). I don't think it's the perfect tv for everyone. The TV need some minor knowledge of how it work.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Paigne wrote: Taking breaks will actually help in letting the panel rest but I’m not referring to just breaks but also changes so the pixel does some other things as well (say different game or channel).

There are tools that help lessen the effect once burnin is set. Doesn’t always work but based on avs forums and some reddit post, it does lessen the burnin effect to a point where it’s usable or less noticeable.

TV shows might or might not burn in. It’s not just cnn or news channel but a lot of channels now have watermarks (including Netflix). They generally aren’t bright so the risk of burnin isn’t high but it will be there.

Plus again I’m not saying every panel will burn in or it’s a fetal flaw for everyone. It is for me and the risk exist as documented by every professional review site. Some mark it down as an insanely low risk like vertical lines developing (which is a risk for basically every tv). For me, it’s a complete write off. There are many choices in tv and I prefer one without burnin risk over one with it regardless of how remote. If that means inferior picture quality then it means inferior picture quality. I bought 3 TVs (4 if you count the one for my dad) and not once consider oled but I’m happy with my purchase. 2 of them in OLED price range (except 75”) but again OLED was never even a finalist when I was making the choice (and I had the option to get a 65” oled for $300 more than 75mu8000 or $500 more 75x850e).
Again, there's zero proof that resting help. All indication point only to cumulative time and not consecutive.

And there's zero tool to fix OLED. I used to be the most prolific author on AVS about burn in, so i would know. There's those pixel flasher but they are completely worthless. One member alleviate burn in a little but it took half a year by stopping watching CNN completely.

Not all watermark create the same risk. We do know that red and yellow watermark burn the TV faster. White logo have zero risk. Other color have lower risk too, but still exist.

Every single panel has the same burn in potential. It's not a defect, it's the technology (2016 OLED had some faulty panel that accelerated the burn, that's true). If you watch some risky content (CNN for 4 hours a day will burn the TV in less than 2 years), the TV will burn.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Paigne wrote: Thats standard practice because BB reps get commission based on warranty price (they get no commission on the tv itself or any products, only warranty/services) so they will charge full price on that and discount the tv (but also generally write bundle/package so you cant return warranty/service without returning the tv too). Of course if they forget to write that, some reports (from various rfders) of being able to return the service/warranty and getting the tv at the reduced price.
EugW wrote: Oh, that makes sense. So their "No commission" tagline isn't exactly true then.

Mine is entered as a package deal, with a $900 package discount.
Hmmm... I just rechecked my receipt. This may be wishful thinking, but the way I read it, maybe the package just includes the TV and calibration. Then as a separate item on the same receipt is the extended warranty. I guess that means I definitely can't return the calibration unless I return the TV, but I wonder if it might be worth a shot trying to cancel the extended warranty. I have extended warranty through my credit card anyway.
itrocks4u wrote: Just so you are aware. I got calibration done through BB as I have the geeksquad membership, primary reason why I did it. They do the ISF bright room and dark room. In my case, I think the guy kept the brightness pretty high so the top and bottom bars ended up becoming more bright. This seemed odd to me since the whole purpose of OLED is the true blacks lol. I asked about it on other forum and looks to be a quick fix that is adjust brightness which I would just do myself. I found the standard configs much better.

Now with that said, BB does not have the software to calibrate HDR. So if you're downloading Torrents or watching Blu-ray with HDR, the only option you would have once HDR kicks in is technicolor expert. In my case, they did not configure that. It was my fault as well since at that time my stupid brand new Blu-ray player stopped working so I did not get a chance to see it. It did not give me the option of ISF bright or dark room. I asked them to come in and the guy called and said that we do not even have the software to correctly calibrate HDR. Under the home membership, in addition to the monthly fee, it's a $50 charge for in-home service. I was told that you can get a refund. Neither geeksquad online or best buy knows how to do it.

The geek squad guy at heartland (I forgot his name) said OLEDs are garbage from factory and definitely need calibration. When I told him you do not have software for the HDR (i.e. 4K blu-rays) he said yes we don't nor would it be included in your home membership because that's expensive. But man to hear that a $4000 (give or take) TV is garbage from the factory is not the best way to sell calibration services. The geek squad guy who came to wall mount the TV said OLEDs don't need calibration.

Reference to Mike above (thehigestfidelity.com) is a better option. He lives in Calgary and makes occasional visits to Toronto. Last time I checked pricing it was about $300, $200 for regular-HD and $100 for UHD. This is what he calls express service so I think if you want more advanced it could go even higher.

I would strongly suggest against BB TV calibration unless you agree in advance that you want HDR calibrated as well.

Feel free to PM if you want more info.

Edit: Shit, just re-read and I realized I used pretty bad grammar. Not going back to fix it lol but I hope you understand what I'm saying.
Thanks for that info. This surprises me a lot.

I called Best Buy and the rep from my shop couldn't confirm whether or not HDR calibration can be properly done. They just confirmed that two inputs would be done. I will have my 4K UHD Blu-ray player on hand, but I don't actually have many UHD HDR discs yet. Any recommendations? Plus, my player doesn't yet support Dolby Vision. That's coming as a firmware update in the fall. OTOH, the TV has built-in Netflix support for Dolby Vision. I could ask for calibration against Netflix HDR and my Blu-ray player. To be honest, I'm not as concerned about calibration for my Bell TV box, since it seems to me many of the channels have different colour calibration, so it would be impossible to calibrate against that accurately, unless there is a specific set of demo channels for example which could be used.

Since Best Buy couldn't confirm anything about the HDR calibration, I then was directed to call Geek Squad, which I did. It turns out some of the front line tech support people didn't actually know what HDR was, but said they would contact the relevant people to get back to me.

To be honest, I'm shocked that a continent-wide ISF calibration service would not have the software to do full ISF calibration for 4K HDR, considering it's 2018. I can understand them not wanting to include UHD HDR calibration in a basic pricing tier, but not to offer it at all in 2018 seems bizarre, especially considering they are one of North America's biggest retailers of 4K HDR TVs and 4K HDR players.
vonblock wrote: You're confusing input lag with response time. It's different.
You are correct. Thanks for the correction.

BTW, my CRT was awesome, with almost no input lag. But it was a CRT. An HD CRT, but CRT nonetheless, and no HDMI inputs.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1824 posts
591 upvotes
EugW wrote: Hmmm... I just rechecked my receipt. This may be wishful thinking, but the way I read it, maybe the package just includes the TV and calibration. Then as a separate item on the same receipt is the extended warranty. I guess that means I definitely can't return the calibration unless I return the TV, but I wonder if it might be worth a shot trying to cancel the extended warranty. I have extended warranty through my credit card anyway.

I called Best Buy and the rep from my shop couldn't confirm whether or not HDR calibration can be properly done. They just confirmed that two inputs would be done. I will have my 4K UHD Blu-ray player on hand, but I don't actually have many UHD HDR discs yet. Any recommendations? Plus, my player doesn't yet support Dolby Vision. That's coming as a firmware update in the fall. OTOH, the TV has built-in Netflix support for Dolby Vision. I could ask for calibration against Netflix HDR and my Blu-ray player. To be honest, I'm not as concerned about calibration for my Bell TV box, since it seems to me many of the channels have different colour calibration, so it would be impossible to calibrate against that accurately, unless there is a specific set of demo channels for example which could be used.

Since Best Buy couldn't confirm anything about the HDR calibration, I then was directed to call Geek Squad, which I did. It turns out some of the front line tech support people didn't actually know what HDR was, but said they would contact the relevant people to get back to me.

To be honest, I'm shocked that a continent-wide ISF calibration service would not have the software to do full ISF calibration for 4K HDR, considering it's 2018. I can understand them not wanting to include UHD HDR calibration in a basic pricing tier, but not to offer it at all in 2018 seems bizarre, especially considering they are one of North America's biggest retailers of 4K HDR TVs and 4K HDR players.

BTW, my CRT was awesome, with almost no input lag. But it was a CRT. An HD CRT, but CRT nonetheless, and no HDMI inputs.
Yea the two inputs are unavailable when HDR or DV kicks in... only option then is technicolor.

I cant recall if Netflix UHD is HDR. I do primarily watch HDR content so correct calibration would have been important to me.

Buy planet earth 2. Its supposed to be best 4K content. i actually compared PE2 on Netflix to PE2 via Blu-ray. Big difference.

Wait and see what geek squad says. If they say no HDR calibration try to get a refund if they let you keep the discount or haggle more.

Your TV needs to run about 100+ hours before calibration.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
itrocks4u wrote: Yea the two inputs are unavailable when HDR or DV kicks in... only option then is technicolor.

I cant recall if Netflix UHD is HDR. I do primarily watch HDR content so correct calibration would have been important to me.

Buy planet earth 2. Its supposed to be best 4K content. i actually compared PE2 on Netflix to PE2 via Blu-ray. Big difference.

Wait and see what geek squad says. If they say no HDR calibration try to get a refund if they let you keep the discount or haggle more.

Your TV needs to run about 100+ hours before calibration.
Netflix is indeed HDR Dolby Vision on some of their original content.
Mar 1, 2009
23 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
What are the best wall mounts for OLED?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
EugW wrote: Hmmm... I just rechecked my receipt. This may be wishful thinking, but the way I read it, maybe the package just includes the TV and calibration. Then as a separate item on the same receipt is the extended warranty. I guess that means I definitely can't return the calibration unless I return the TV, but I wonder if it might be worth a shot trying to cancel the extended warranty. I have extended warranty through my credit card anyway.

On phone so quoting whole post instead of just geek squad part (pain to edit with select/5.7” screen).

Geek squad really hires just about anyone so dont expect expert service. I saw some high school acquaintance work there (comp department) after high school and they were the opposite of tech savvy (and i know pretty well since i was TA for comp class due to cutbacks... teacher gave me a free period and 100% in exchange for helping out since he was a science teacher not computer lol). There likely will be some experience employees who knows how things work but dont be surprise if some of the employees are just your typical min wage worker who just follows a manual, so if something comes up outside their manual (or they forget what they are suppose to do), you might get screwed.

As far as package goes, generally they bundle everything because services also cant get refunded once its renderered. Your only option is really to refund everything then rebuy without the services. It would actually end up cheaper that way if you think about it since the service calibration done without the proper software is pretty useless (if thats true, i havent and wouldnt ever buy geek squad service). Plus the risk of bundling too much is the discount is always on the tv so you wont be able to do any PM due to the tv price being much lower. The only thing to consider bundling is warranty and only if you can get it for 50% (or more) off.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
evaaseow wrote: What are the best wall mounts for OLED?
There isnt one. Its what type of wall mount you want/need. OLED doesnt require anything special nor weight anymore than LCD. You just need to make sure the mount is the right size (vesa 300x200). Other than that its what you want... i.e. motion vs still, tilt vs no tilt, things like that. Of course given the cost of the tv you might want to consider an established brand vs something $20-$40 unknown brand.
Oct 24, 2017
333 posts
791 upvotes
Just picked up the 65” C8P from BestBuy South Common here in Edmonton for $3199.

I asked the salesperson if he could do anything for me and that’s what he was able to reduce it to.

Got the 3-year warranty for $629 so I got everything for only $129 more than if I had paid full price without the warranty.

Costco would have been $30 less for the same 3-year warranty (they don’t price match), but their warranty doesn’t cover burn-in.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
canada5dollarbill wrote: Just picked up the 65” C8P from BestBuy South Common here in Edmonton for $3199.

I asked the salesperson if he could do anything for me and that’s what he was able to reduce it to.

Got the 3-year warranty for $629 so I got everything for only $129 more than if I had paid full price without the warranty.

Costco would have been $30 less for the same 3-year warranty (they don’t price match), but their warranty doesn’t cover burn-in.
C8 65” for $3199 seems reasonable for Best Buy but is it a package deal with the extended warranty? Cuz if not I’d consider returning the extended warranty. Ultimately, what has happened here is you have paid more for the TV - $3828 - than what the TV cost for full advertised price - $3699.

FWIW, as mentioned Best Buy offered me the 65” B7P for $3099 including 3-year warranty. That’s $200 below their $3299 advertised price without warranty. I didn’t take that deal but instead got a 2-year warranty and calibration for the same $3099 price. (I don’t know if the calibration will be any good but that’s a different discussion.)

However, if you’re really paranoid about burn-in then it may be worth it to you for peace of mind.

BTW, what have people been getting the 65” C8 from Teletime or others for?

Actually, has anyone gotten a quote for a 77” OLED from Teletime? I’d return my 65” B7P if I could get a 77” C8 for $6999 but somehow I don’t think that’s gonna happen. And I assume they wouldn’t have stock anyway.
Mar 1, 2009
23 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
What are the established top brands for wall mounts? Sanus?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto

Confirmed. Best Buy will not calibrate HDR. It’s not even a paid option. Ugh.

In the meantime I tried calling a couple of Teletime stores, but no answer. So I sent in a pricing request online.
Sep 13, 2015
15 posts
North York, ON
Anyone shopping for the W8? Doesn’t seem to be discounted at Best Buy (65 inch is still $9,999), so looks like LG excluded it from their recent price drops.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Lucky Goldstar has awful short warranties on everything they sell. What is it with Korean manufactures and their awful warranties?
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
hagbard wrote: Lucky Goldstar has awful short warranties on everything they sell. What is it with Korean manufactures and their awful warranties?
What's wrong with a 1 year warranty?
Dec 22, 2007
97 posts
75 upvotes
Kingston
Do you guys think the prices will be any better during Black Friday/Boxing Day?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
3173 posts
2243 upvotes
Winnipeg
JonnyV wrote: Costco here in Winnipeg typically has the B7 for $3000 instore. So a little cheaper than the website.
WPG East has yet to put up OLED's.
Jun 30, 2017
161 posts
126 upvotes
Brossard
crimsontwo wrote: Do you guys think the prices will be any better during Black Friday/Boxing Day?
YES. For example, 2 years ago the 55" oled was $2300 for black Friday and last year it was $2000, at best buy. People posted on here about getting them below advertise price at visions, I think around $1800.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
3173 posts
2243 upvotes
Winnipeg
crimsontwo wrote: Do you guys think the prices will be any better during Black Friday/Boxing Day?
BF probably but BD is a definite no as it's dying as a shopping day...as it should.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)