Boxing Day 2014 Discussion Archive

LG 65" (same as the one goingon sale at Futureshop) is on sale now for $999.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2015 11:48 am
Tags:
None
Jan 12, 2007
343 posts
69 upvotes
Orleans
chuckydee wrote:
Dec 26th, 2014 3:25 pm
brick just called with cancelation, would not give gift card or any compensation but offered Samsung un65h6203 for $1200 plus tax and ecc fee. Should I bite?
The 60H6203 is $1180 at costco, so yeah I'd say if they're giving you the 65" for that price it's pretty darn good as far a price. No opinion on the actual TV itself...
Apr 30, 2006
203 posts
5 upvotes
97gst wrote:
Dec 27th, 2014 2:11 pm
The 60H6203 is $1180 at costco, so yeah I'd say if they're giving you the 65" for that price it's pretty darn good as far a price. No opinion on the actual TV itself...
I think i'm going to stick with the lg from Canada Computers it was $1040 out the door, the brick deal on the Samsung will cost an extra $400. The lg is set up in the media room and looks great for that purpose.
Aug 13, 2006
742 posts
520 upvotes
Ottawa
I can give initial feedback on this TV.
I used the following calibration settings http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lg- ... tings.html and the picture looks pretty decent to me and definitely worth 1000 bucks taxes in. Movies and OTA TV look just stunning. The rest depends on the source of the signal IMHO. I use hockeystreams for hockey and I am not really impressed. It's all subjective but the settings mentioned above helped with motion blurs that other members have already mentioned in this thread. At least it is my impression as I experienced them with default settings as well.
As for TV itself it looks like this model is only for Canadian market so there is no much information out there. The closest match I could find is 47lb5800 model in US. But 47lb5800 model has 60Hz panel where 65LB5830 has 120Hz panel. Why do I think so?
Here is official spec for 47LB5800
http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-47LB5800-led-tv
It says MCI (motion clarity index) for 47LB5800 is 120.
There is no official product page for 65LB5830 so it's really hard to fish any official information but the actual packaging box for this TV clearly specifies MCI 480 which according to this source
http://www.rtings.com/info/fake-refresh ... -trumotion
translates to 120Hz panel.
Jun 2, 2006
90 posts
9 upvotes
Montreal
Need feedback on this tv I ordered from Brault@Martineau 1049$ all in but it wasn't on display. I can cancel before delivery around the 15jan.
How is this tv? Link to manual?
Thanks
Dec 26, 2014
9 posts
Brampton, ON
I cancelled the order from Brick looking at the above review
Jan 1, 2010
501 posts
60 upvotes
Quebec
TheFatBob wrote:
Dec 29th, 2014 10:54 am
Need feedback on this tv I ordered from Brault@Martineau 1049$ all in but it wasn't on display. I can cancel before delivery around the 15jan.
How is this tv? Link to manual?
Thanks
Brick in Quebec had one in display, watched it a bit and it didn't look that bad at all playing a blu-ray, blacks looked good (maybe I am not picky enough?), only thing is the guy told me they were B/O until end of January

I then went somewhere else where the guy told me the TV is basically 60hz with MCI 120, that it will lag playing video games, LG box says 120hz native with MCI 480 so I have no clue what spec to believe
Sep 14, 2011
16 posts
2 upvotes
Just picked mine up from the Brick and I'm pretty happy with it. Coming from a 50" Panny plasma the picture looks great, smart features are good. Watched some you tube. The screen is huge and with the thin bezel looks amazing. Good deal.
Jan 20, 2010
4 posts
Calgary
My feedback on this TV after a week;
Picture Quality: 3 out of 5...gray uniformity (DSE) and black reproduction being the real culprits. Mine has a faint green vertical band so i've asked to have it exchanged from "The Brick"...more on "The Brick" later. Hockey isn't very good to watch on here, Football on the weekend was much better, but for Movies, HD TV the picture is really nice. Watched Blu Ray of Avatar, new Star Trek & Netflix Despicable Me and was impressed. Quality of NETFLIX was amazing. For reference I'm coming from a Hitachi Plasma 55" that was getting long in the tooth. Picture quality after calibration (Smart Wizard and then Wow Disney Blu Ray) is much improved vs. out of the box.
Value: 4 out of 5, really what other 65" name brand TV can you get for $1k.
Sound: I use a stereo with HDMI switching so i haven't even heard the speakers.

eugene_2005's feedback is bang on and the rtings.com site gives a great review as this TV is basically a 5900 series without the better smart features and a very cheap remote. I use a harmony so i don't even use the TV remote. I also use apple tv instead of the built in smart as it was lagging and slow.

The Brick Experience: Bought online, took about 10 days to receive. My sister bought the same TV and we had them delivered to my home. I was shocked when the delivery guys brought the TV's in by themselves; that is ONE PERSON carried the TV from the truck into the house. VERY unimpressed. My sister's TV was cracked and not useful. I contacted The Brick and both are being replaced or we can exchange them. Haven't decided yet what we're doing.

If you don't watch hockey, this TV is great and an incredible value. If you watch hockey with the obvious lots of white in the background be prepared for Dirty Screen Effect.